Social Worker/Team Leaders.what type of relocation package did you receive?

Murta

Putting it out there to get some feedback on the content of social work relocation packages on the market nowadays. I understand it is a different era than a few years ago to the point areas such as NSW have enough international relent pool and to get a post is even more competitive. Being realistic for my family's needs , a relocation package is the only way we can moved to OZ. Hence I have broadened my geographical area from Sydney to Outskirts (up to one hour from South Sydney) to Brisbane city and Melbourne or Geelong. A few offers but have no clue what is a good package to accept with me and my family OH and 2 kids 10 and 6:rolleyes: ..thanks

Do you think that employers would offer you a relocation package when they know you have a visa so would be coming anyway?

Yes they are as they state this is less expense for them in obtaining a visa and I can head out sooner.

Hi Murta

I came out over 6 years ago with a really good relocation package, however there were 38 social workers that came out at the same time and there is only about 8 left (though on a plus note everyone of us is now in a management position so our skills were recognised[emoji4]).

Some people lasted only a few days others a few months. There was a clause that if you left early you had to pay back a % of the package ... not one person did! They also got fleet cars through their salary and on leaving just parked them in the car park at the airport with no one having any idea where they were or keys. They borrowed car seats and furniture from other staff and just left them In their rentals when leaving in the middle of the night. It was unbelievable really!

Hence they pulled relocation packages in the Melbourne area and I am pretty sure they are now only covering the cost of the visa.

I have had a few friends move out since with no assistance and its such a shame that some people ruined it as many of the ones that left actually had no intentions of staying from the beginning.

Hopefully you find somewhere with a package as it really does make a big difference when you first arrive.

Good luck with your search

Lou

Hi Murta

I came out over 6 years ago with a really good relocation package, however there were 38 social workers that came out at the same time and there is only about 8 left (though on a plus note everyone of us is now in a management position so our skills were recognised[emoji4]).

Some people lasted only a few days others a few months. There was a clause that if you left early you had to pay back a % of the package ... not one person did! They also got fleet cars through their salary and on leaving just parked them in the car park at the airport with no one having any idea where they were or keys. They borrowed car seats and furniture from other staff and just left them In their rentals when leaving in the middle of the night. It was unbelievable really!

Hence they pulled relocation packages in the Melbourne area and I am pretty sure they are now only covering the cost of the visa.

I have had a few friends move out since with no assistance and its such a shame that some people ruined it as many of the ones that left actually had no intentions of staying from the beginning.

Hopefully you find somewhere with a package as it really does make a big difference when you first arrive.

Good luck with your search

Lou

Thanks Loopylou

Are you aware of their reason for leaving ? Where are you now? This relocation package is for Victoria State, a dearth of rural locations, few relocation packages for the metroMelbourne area. Early days pf course. DO you mind telling what SW is like where you are? Is it the plan to make radical changes to child protection or is that a stuck record? The reasons the people left where they hoping to remain in Oz or wanted to leave the country more than the job!!?

Hi Murta I am in a rural location about 3 and half hours out of Melbourne

I will send you a message tomorrow to full answer your questions however I think a lot of the people that left arrived with unrealistic expectations (I would say 90% of the people that left returned back to the UK)

People (including me) had been told by the agency's recruiting that in Oz they have caseloads of 10, work a 9 day fortnight and have team meetings on the beach (none of which is true)

But given they were bringing 38 of us out it didn't take a rocket scientist to realise we were coming out to an area with huge issues. One person advised they were leaving as they felt unsupported as they hadn't been told by the agency what news paper they should read!!!! (Some of the reasons were quite bizarre and they actually offered us heaps of support

As for the CP system there are about to be some radical changes next week... That's a bit exciting but God knows how they will go (we are still far behind the UK ) but things are changing for the better [emoji4]

Social Work is something of a revolving door in WA and have known some retrain to more profitable job descriptions. The field tends to be limited to Hospitals and Child Protection or NGO agencies. The latter has a high turn over and often issues galore. Many do counselling but there is a bit of competition with psychologists who tend to be preferred but equally over subscribed.

I'd be amazed if packages were on offer. It is hard enough to gain employment in the social area. Are other states different? Not sure.

Hi Murta I am in a rural location about 3 and half hours out of Melbourne

I will send you a message tomorrow to full answer your questions however I think a lot of the people that left arrived with unrealistic expectations (I would say 90% of the people that left returned back to the UK)

People (including me) had been told by the agency's recruiting that in Oz they have caseloads of 10, work a 9 day fortnight and have team meetings on the beach (none of which is true)

But given they were bringing 38 of us out it didn't take a rocket scientist to realise we were coming out to an area with huge issues. One person advised they were leaving as they felt unsupported as they hadn't been told by the agency what news paper they should read!!!! (Some of the reasons were quite bizarre and they actually offered us heaps of support

As for the CP system there are about to be some radical changes next week... That's a bit exciting but God knows how they will go (we are still far behind the UK ) but things are changing for the better [emoji4]

It is exciting Loopy Lou

Every country state has to stat from somewhere. I live in the UK but work in the ROI and know there has been amazing changes occurring here so I am happy to embrace change.....at leasts it on the agenda! I look forward to the PM.

My only fear as you are all hinting at is that I am being fed a misconception...but hopefully i will be savvy enough to look beyond that and consider my options carefully!

I know in WA the relocation package in health got reduced to flights only and then stopped altogether.

Yea relocation is a thing of the past..this Victoria states it so let see..here even if I got the flight it would be a bonus!!

Social Work is something of a revolving door in WA and have known some retrain to more profitable job descriptions. The field tends to be limited to Hospitals and Child Protection or NGO agencies. The latter has a high turn over and often issues galore. Many do counselling but there is a bit of competition with psychologists who tend to be preferred but equally over subscribed.

I'd be amazed if packages were on offer. It is hard enough to gain employment in the social area. Are other states different? Not sure.

Yeah this really confuses me to the point I am overwhelmed by the various degrees of agencies mentioned... I think the better pay are the hospitals and Allied health but then the NGOs come flooding in it has me skippered again. 100k+ is a grand sum but with crises coming out of the woodwork am not sure if i could stay in it forever ....

Social work and psychologist are gelled together in most job specs which is unusual as we are so far apart here in what we do...I don't know if this is an up scale of what scial work does there or an extreme social weight onto the job spec of psychologist there... i will have to see when I get... god knows what state I will end up at this rate!

Yeah this really confuses me to the point I am overwhelmed by the various degrees of agencies mentioned... I think the better pay are the hospitals and Allied health but then the NGOs come flooding in it has me skippered again. 100k+ is a grand sum but with crises coming out of the woodwork am not sure if i could stay in it forever ....

Social work and psychologist are gelled together in most job specs which is unusual as we are so far apart here in what we do...I don't know if this is an up scale of what scial work does there or an extreme social weight onto the job spec of psychologist there... i will have to see when I get... god knows what state I will end up at this rate!

Pay rates not that grand for Social Workers either. I think the role has become a little diluted with Welfare Workers and Psychologists clouding the waters, not forgetting Councillors, a role a number of Social Workers perform. Still there are preferences for Psychologists in numerous areas whom tend often regard themselves as superior and has a stronger Association, at least in the WA context working which can prove a disadvantage to the area of social work.

Putting it out there to get some feedback on the content of social work relocation packages on the market nowadays. I understand it is a different era than a few years ago to the point areas such as NSW have enough international relent pool and to get a post is even more competitive. Being realistic for my family's needs , a relocation package is the only way we can moved to OZ. Hence I have broadened my geographical area from Sydney to Outskirts (up to one hour from South Sydney) to Brisbane city and Melbourne or Geelong. A few offers but have no clue what is a good package to accept with me and my family OH and 2 kids 10 and 6:rolleyes: ..thanks

i have been following your post to see if any leads have come up on the possibility of relocation packages. We have been accepted for state sponsorship for NSW and will be putting in our visa application soon.

Just wanted to ask if relocation package means commitment for a length of time and what that might be like ?

Also I get that social workers jobs are offered to psycologists etc ... Can anyone tell me if in thier experience or knowledge this affects landing a good role?

I currently work in Child protection and I am hoping to land a similar role. Any idea if this will be a possibility in NSW or OZ in general without OZ work experience ?

Thanks

Just wanted to ask if relocation package means commitment for a length of time and what that might be like ?

Also I get that social workers jobs are offered to psycologists etc ... Can anyone tell me if in thier experience or knowledge this affects landing a good role?

I currently work in Child protection and I am hoping to land a similar role. Any idea if this will be a possibility in NSW or OZ in general without OZ work experience ?

The feedback I am receiving from Victoria is positive , I am not sure about NSW. I visited a social work dept in Sydney when I was out and it would seem you need to get your timing right when the recruitment is happening, but like here. I do believe in getting A job as close to it as soon as possible then when you are more settled look into the gov social work posts. I would prefer sydney overalll but worry about the cost of living there..how many years experience do you have? Have u applied for jobs yet?

Good luck!

i have been following your post to see if any leads have come up on the possibility of relocation packages. We have been accepted for state sponsorship for NSW and will be putting in our visa application soon.

Thanks

There may be a commitment that if you leave within x amount of time then you'll have to pay back a percentage of the cost of relocation.

I will start my job hunting when we have our visas as I believe we have 10 months to activate the visa. At the moment I browse jobs on adzuna & Seek just to familiarise myself with the job hunting process.

i think I will definitely be looking at taking the first best offer I get to settle in before I concentrate on my preferred service area.

Best of Luck to all of us hoping to make the move soon

Archived