Relocate to Townsville for job offer?

Lukepom

Can anyone advise about life in Townsville? I've been offered a job and it is tempting. I'm currently living in Sydney and am ready for a change, but not sure if Townsville is the right move. It looks nice in pictures, but I'm worried that I'll be in the middle of nowhere and the only Pom in town!

Hi Lukepom, can't offer you first hand advice about life in Townsville, because I don't live there YET! But I can assure you that you won't be the only Pom in town. We relocate to Townsville (from Brisbane) in 8 weeks time.

It does look nice in pictures.. but pictures can be deceiving lol. I visited last month and was immediately struck by how BROWN and dry the land was. After my initial gasp of horror and a few days of driving around I relaxed a bit and found it rather appealing.

I guess it really comes down to what your after in life. My friends (I have a few in Townsville already) have told me it will take at least 6 months to adapt to life in Townsville (I don't mean acclimatise - that I fear will take longer).

We have lived in Perth and we have lived in Brisbane, we have travelled Australia extensively in the 6+ years we have been here. If the job opportunity is a good one, and as you say, it's time for a change.. why not give it a go? It doesn't have to be forever. We're giving it 18 months. In that time we plan to enjoy weekends camping in the areas surrounding Townsville, getting out into the barrier reef and living a more simple existence, because life in the city isn't for us. If you favour city life then I don't think Townsville will appeal at all.

Good of luck with your decision

Hi Luke,

My husband is moving out in April from Uk, so you definitely won't be the only Pom! He has a friend who's lived there for 5 years and loves the lifestyle. Easy access to Barrier Reef, rainforests Whitsundays etc.

I visited in October and was struck by how brown it was, but our friend did say they'd had the driest , wet season that winter, and it's normally a lot greener.

Living on the south coast of UK, we rarely take advantage of a ferry terminal to Europe within 20 mins drive, or a trip to London, so I guess we just get caught up in daily living, work etc , so does it really matter that it's so remote? There's always the airport, and if you hate it you can always move back to a city. I'm looking forward to a more stress free, laid back existence, hopefully.

Hi Luke,

My husband is moving out in April from Uk, so you definitely won't be the only Pom! He has a friend who's lived there for 5 years and loves the lifestyle. Easy access to Barrier Reef, rainforests Whitsundays etc.

I visited in October and was struck by how brown it was, but our friend did say they'd had the driest , wet season that winter, and it's normally a lot greener.

Living on the south coast of UK, we rarely take advantage of a ferry terminal to Europe within 20 mins drive, or a trip to London, so I guess we just get caught up in daily living, work etc , so does it really matter that it's so remote? There's always the airport, and if you hate it you can always move back to a city. I'm looking forward to a more stress free, laid back existence, hopefully.

October is near the end of the dry season...The WET starts about mid December. Also, Townsville is in a 'rain shadow' and receives a lot less rain than either Mackay, or Cairns.

It is a good town and the people are very friendly, AND it has some of the best fishing in Australia.:yes:

• 1 month later...

Personally, Pallerenda, or Rowes Bay. When I used to visit there I liked walking on Pally beach and run my pooch there. Dunno what is like now, as this was 30 years ago and the city fathers might have changed the laws governing dogs on beaches.Cheers

, Bobj.

Odd spot...There was a newspaper item many years ago were a bloke was walking his dog on Pally beach. The dog was a few hundred yards ahead and started baking at a small pool in the sandy beach. On approaching the dog, the bloke saw a 30 plus lb barramundi struggling in the pool. The bloke took the leash and tied it to the barra's tail and took it home.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived