Pros and cons of moving back to the UK with children?

brit1

For sure the private school in England our daughter attended focussed heavily on testing. The headmaster was genuinely unhappy about it but his hands were tied really.

Her school here could not be more different so far. Personally I have an aversion to constant testing as it tends to narrow education down to getting everyone up to a certain threshold and constrains the syllabus so I am really pleased with what I am seeing so far.

Oh dear Johndoe,

Perhaps you were offended by my comments, that's just what I have experienced personally whist out at playgroups and at the playground. As I said in my comments, I know not everyone is like this.

As for your second paragraph, how hurtful, you have no idea what our reasons are for wanting to move back overseas. My Mum has been sick and was in hospital for 3 months at the end of last year. I have only spent 2 weeks with her in the past 5 years as we cannot afford to visit each year. Our boys are the only grandchildren they have and they would dearly love us to be back in the UK for a while. It is a struggle financially to survive here on one wage, it is our choice to have me stay at home with the little ones until they go to school as we do not wish to place them in childcare - again, I understand that many don't have a choice - I am not judging anyone. If we go back to the UK money wont be an issue (we have done our sums). As I said, my husband preferred working in the UK so that is why he wants to go back there.

Yes, we are being honest here! We do want to go back, but want to make sure that our boys would have the best opportunities in life. It is actually because of them that we have not moved back already.

Life here is pretty much the same as life over their, we get up, go to work, food shopping then spend time together on the weekends. But we feel we would have a better quality of life over there.

Thank you to all who have posted, we are still making up our minds.

if you have the money to get out of that backward slow place isolated from the rest of the world, do it and get your life back on track.

Your kids can have a far more advanced education, better career opportunities and the chance to attend world class universities when they grow up.

The whole "aussie thing" is just a very expensive illusion.

if you have the money to get out of that backward slow place isolated from the rest of the world, do it and get your life back on track.

Your kids can have a far more advanced education, better career opportunities and the chance to attend world class universities when they grow up.

I do find myself agreeing in part to this. Australia sells itself as a laid back, no nonsense easy going kind of place but more and more we found that just wasn't the case at all, 20 odd years ago yes. People still sit for hours in their cars commuting, they still stress about bills, safety, whether they can afford to buy a house or that their kids will get a good education and in fact all the things people stress about everywhere else. Blue skies don't your life magically better, Aussie aren't friendlier or cleaner or healthier. Having said that it does not mean Australia can't be a great place to live, of course it is. If you want to live on the beach and go surfing everyday and sunbathe then really its a no brainer. For many of us there is much more to life.

For sure the private school in England our daughter attended focussed heavily on testing. The headmaster was genuinely unhappy about it but his hands were tied really.

Her school here could not be more different so far. Personally I have an aversion to constant testing as it tends to narrow education down to getting everyone up to a certain threshold and constrains the syllabus so I am really pleased with what I am seeing so far.

The headmaster at a private should have had the freedom to not continually test. That was one of the main reasons we sent ours to independent schools - to free them from the ridiculousness of nationally imposed rules and curriculum. That's not to say they weren't tested. They had tests in senior school at the end of each topic in each subject so that their understanding could be assessed, which was the same at their Australian school.

I guess the SATs tests they do in the UK are pretty much the same as the NAPLAN tests in Australia, although no one seemed to get quite as stressy about NAPLAN as SATs.

Well it was for you ................. just give it rest will you :dull:

Well it was for you ................. just give it rest will you :dull:

I'm not sure that is really fair to be honest. There are a few on here that go on endlessly about how their move to Australia was the best thing they ever did, their kids are happier, they are happier, they have more money, everyone is so friendly yadda yadda yadda. On top of that it is in the MBTTUK section ;)

I'm not sure that is really fair to be honest. There are a few on here that go on endlessly about how their move to Australia was the best thing they ever did, their kids are happier, they are happier, they have more money, everyone is so friendly yadda yadda yadda. On top of that it is in the MBTTUK section ;)

That is true but some posters are just so one eyed. Anyway, I was happy with my boys' education here and the way some posters carry on you would think their kids were deprived of getting a decent schooling here. Ridiculous.

That is true but some posters are just so one eyed. Anyway, I was happy with my boys' education here and the way some posters carry on you would think their kids were deprived of getting a decent schooling here. Ridiculous.

Agreed but equally I hear the same about the UK. I could happily live in either but I am probably rightly considered one eyed.

Actually, I agree. In terms of opportunities for further education and career, the UK is definitely better. Because the population is larger, it's financially viable for universities to offer a greater variety of degrees. The relative compactness of the UK and Europe means it's much easier to relocate to where the jobs are, and the fact that many companies are headquartered in the UK/Europe also helps.

However I don't agree that means the whole "aussie thing" is an expensive illusion. There are pros and cons to every country. If you moved to Australia for bigger and better job opportunities, you'll be disappointed - but that is not a priority for everyone.

Also of course, not everywhere in Australia has a backward slow pace.

Actually, I agree. In terms of opportunities for further education and career, the UK is definitely better. Because the population is larger, it's financially viable for universities to offer a greater variety of degrees. The relative compactness of the UK and Europe means it's much easier to relocate to where the jobs are, and the fact that many companies are headquartered in the UK/Europe also helps.

However I don't agree that means the whole "aussie thing" is an expensive illusion. There are pros and cons to every country. If you moved to Australia for bigger and better job opportunities, you'll be disappointed - but that is not a priority for everyone.

Also of course, not everywhere in Australia has a backward slow pace.

I guess that is true for some, but it can also be a step up the career ladder. It was for my husband, both times. He brought the experience and expertise he gained in Australia back to the UK (and vice versa). Parts of Australia are further ahead in his field than here.

Some may be well and truly stuck down there with no chance of ever getting out and that must feel awful.

It would be awful for sure. We have met people over there that would dearly love to return but can't for many reasons.

We are in just such a position for various reasons we are stuck and yes it's truly awful. My advice for anyone who truly wants go back and are in a position to do so do it while you can before you end up stuck!!

We are in just such a position for various reasons we are stuck and yes it's truly awful. My advice for anyone who truly wants go back and are in a position to do so do it while you can before you end up stuck!!

I'm very sorry to hear that, is it a permanent situation for you or is there some light ?

We moved to Australia when our son was 5 and returned when he was 10 and I'd say he is largely unscathed by the experience - he had only had one term in primary school here so I can't entirely compare but I absolutely loved the education he got in Australia. It is different, the focus was much more on developing social skills and confidence then academic skills and I think this is why parents often feel the UK system is better because their children know more - but really what does it matter the age at which you learn to solve quadratic equations? For most of us it wouldn't matter if we never did! Does it matter if you learn to read at 4 or 7 or even 11?

The personal confidence instilled in my sons Australian school may come across as brashness - I must admit being rather taken back the first time he had a friend over and he opened our fridge and said what can I have to eat! I also found the allowed language rather grating and after a child said god dammit and I picked them up saying 'that's not a very nice thing to say' and they looked at me with wide-eyed innocence and said 'isn't it?' I accepted it is simply a cultural difference.

The upside is my sons head at his new school here commented very positively about my sons confidence and presence when he observes him at school and have predicted 'great things' for him (whatever that means!). I truly believe his 5 years eduction in Australia has set him up for life - we did put him back a year to help him settle and catch up academically though.

Different doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other but if you are choosing to bring children up in a country different to your own you do have to accept the differences. I hated Christmas because I wanted my son to have the kind of magical Christmas of my childhood, of course that is nonsense because Christmas is just as magical for Australian children, it is just different! Children grow-up just fine in both countries and the younger they move the easier it is so if you and your husband want to move i really wouldn't worry.

Sorry to hear that , I feel for you. Hope you find a way to get out eventually.

Archived