The true cost to migrate?????

Paul McIntyre

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't imagine paying for business class.

Return airfares Melbourne to London are about $1400 economy vs $5800 business.

A lot of money for a bit of comfort and better food.

However if you can use frequent flyer points to upgrade then it is worth doing.

Probably the best way to use points.

It's the needing to save for years that puts it in the luxury bracket :biglaugh:

Not really, your not getting out of that one ! Luxury is not working hard towards something, cutting back,scrimping and saving every penny you can , Cutting out all the " premium" stuff . Footballers and some on here live a life of luxury , I have never and probably never will fly business class , but I will migrate on a budget more realistic to most !

The original post was " true cost to migrate " which is kind of my point. I quote you "Far, far, far more than you expect. Even when you budget really carefully" . ...your migration is far from the normal cost , as you can afford more you spent more !

Really not sure what the issue is here?

I never claimed that my cost was "normal". In fact I'm trying to point out that there isn't a "normal" as everyone has different circumstances and will need different things. What is unarguable is that the "true" cost to emigrate is probably going to be higher than your expectations. We did budget carefully in the sense that we did a pretty thorough audit of what we expected to spend. And now - 4 weeks or so into living in Oz - we have blown past that budget. Not because the money we spent up to a week or so after the move was higher (in fact we spent less) but because of the higher than expected spend in Australia. All I am saying is that when you budget leave contingency in your finances for unexpected spend because I guarantee that no matter how careful you are you will have unexpected spend. I am lucky enough that I was able to absorb that extra but if your financial margins are tight it can be much harder to deal with a few hundred dollars of unexpected but vital spend that sideswipes you so it's prudent to leave a "misc." category in your fund for just such an event. Not hard to understand, I would have thought?

Really not sure what the issue is here?

I never claimed that my cost was "normal". In fact I'm trying to point out that there isn't a "normal" as everyone has different circumstances and will need different things. What is unarguable is that the "true" cost to emigrate is probably going to be higher than your expectations. We did budget carefully in the sense that we did a pretty thorough audit of what we expected to spend. And now - 4 weeks or so into living in Oz - we have blown past that budget. Not because the money we spent up to a week or so after the move was higher (in fact we spent less) but because of the higher than expected spend in Australia. All I am saying is that when you budget leave contingency in your finances for unexpected spend because I guarantee that no matter how careful you are you will have unexpected spend. I am lucky enough that I was able to absorb that extra but if your financial margins are tight it can be much harder to deal with a few hundred dollars of unexpected but vital spend that sideswipes you so it's prudent to leave a "misc." category in your fund for just such an event. Not hard to understand, I would have thought?

No issue, I wish you all the best...just trying to make my point and not put the Op off migration

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

Not really, your not getting out of that one ! Luxury is not working hard towards something, cutting back,scrimping and saving every penny you can , Cutting out all the " premium" stuff . Footballers and some on here live a life of luxury , I have never and probably never will fly business class , but I will migrate on a budget more realistic to most !

One of the three definitions of "luxury" in the OED is: "an inessential, desirable item which is expensive or difficult to obtain". If that isn't a perfect description of emigration, I don't know what is.

We paid $9,500 for 4 months rent plus bond of $1,800 up front.

Car cost $3000

Crap for the house....pots, cutlery, bog roll etc etc cost US $1000....$200 here and there at K-Mart soon adds up!

Phone, internet etc...Husband had to pay $300 up front for his iPhone as he had no credit rating and with internet, house phone it costs $200 per month.

We came over with $27,000 and we have just over $14,000 left. So that it the exchange rate is $2 to the £....about £15,000 you should be fine.

Also, noticed your a community worker? Beware.....I am too but not been able to get a job unless you have an NVQ2 otherwise they won't touch you with a barge pole (Darwin at least) Or you could pay $1300 for the NVQ2 course....or Aged Care as it is....then you have to pay $60 for your Ochre Card.

As my husband says, Australia is like having a very expensive mistress, she costs a fortune and doesn't put out at the end of it!!! :D:D:D

And now - 4 weeks or so into living in Oz - we have blown past that budget. Not because the money we spent up to a week or so after the move was higher (in fact we spent less) but because of the higher than expected spend in Australia. All I am saying is that when you budget leave contingency in your finances for unexpected spend because I guarantee that no matter how careful you are you will have unexpected spend.

This is so true. I forget what all the things were, but I recall unexpected expenses like a driving licence ($260), a set top box to make my TV work ($50), a satnav for my car because all the roads here look the same ($150), white goods (rented property in Australia doesn't provide them - $100s), lawnmower ($300), multiregion DVD player ($300 - but probably not needed now). There were heaps of other things, but for a while it felt like even doing simple tasks cost three figure sums and I was laying out hundreds here and hundreds there almost on a weekly basis. It is very easy to get demoralised.

I couldn't imagine paying for business class.

Return airfares Melbourne to London are about $1400 economy vs $5800 business.

A lot of money for a bit of comfort and better food.

However if you can use frequent flyer points to upgrade then it is worth doing.

Probably the best way to use points.

We we went business class last May with Emirates best money I spent I am quite tall 6ft3"" so to be able to have a proper sleep made all the difference to me along with some peace and quiet

• 1 month later...