Prison office/ rehabilitation

Guest Unregistered

Guest Unregistered

Hi, I'm looking for some info into my employment options/ opportunities if I move to austraila. I am a prison officer/ deliver accredited offending behaviour interventions with male offenders- 8 years plus experience I also have a degree and masters in criminology. I would like to stay within the criminal justice field.

Guest Unregistered
Do you have a visa?

Hi- no haven't got a visa. We are going to a seminar in the uk this weekend to find out more information on the visa process and employment prospects. My partner is a Carpentar and we are assuming there is a better chance on moving to Auss/getting a visa via his working background. Any advice,info etc would be great.cheers

Yes, your husband is likely to be the main applicant.

Getting into the prison service does vary by state as they are state rather than federal institutions. however, the process is similar and not easy.

The process is this.

About one one every year or two, applications are invited. The last one in WA resulted in several thousand. Then it is a sort of knock out system with a series of steps. So, from application, a certain amount are invited to take exams - English, math and physcological assessment. Those that pass them, then go for medical and fitness tests - the fitness tests are similar to army entrance. Then those that pass them, going to interview in front of a panel. At the end of which, there might be several hundred successful applicants. These are then put in a pool of people that can over the course of the next 12 months be offered jobs. However, there is no guarantee of a job and the state may hire no one from the pool. At the end of 12 months, the pool closes and if a person hasn't had an offer in that year, they have to start the application process from scratch. I did it 2 years ago and was successful in getting into the pool. However, there were no offers made to anyone that pool year.

Guest guest90395

It's slightly different in Victoria, the prison service seem to be constantly recruiting. Someone I know applied in November 2013 and started in February 2014. He was taken on as a casual (he couldn't be permanent due to our 457 visa) but worked pretty much 5 days a week. He is currently on a secondment in intelligence where he has been for the last year.

Hi,

Is that process of becoming a Prison Officer the same even if you are already one in the Uk, are the skills not transferable and would get you straight to the interview stage rather than all the other stages that you've already done?

You would need to check with each State but its highly unlikely. Most jobs like that are over-subscribed here and you have to apply like everyone else and win your interview. Firefighters are the same - 20 years counts for nothing when applying, you have to compete with everyone else.

If you wish to emigrate as a prison officer it's only the Northern Territory government that offers state sponsorship. You can apply for 190 or 489 visa . Your only likely to get a 489 visa . Depends on your age but to have enough points you may need to have done the NVQ in Custodial Care at least 5 years ago thus having a minimum 5 years prison officer work experience . You will still need to do IELTS & what you require will again depend on age .

Its a long road of documentation you will require including pay slips & p60's going back at least 3 years , proof of qualifications, references, CV's & proof of funds, ID & documents to prove your a couple . All need to be certified & then you have to do a commitment statement , contact people in Northern Territory & proof of research on where your applying such ie ; Northern Territory.

Its a lot to do & a lot of money

Archived