Moving back home

Stuart Mcsporran

Really hope someone can help we are moving back home and taking back everything that we came with, just bad company out to do a quote for shipping, she has said that we might be charged with tax/vat as we haven't been here for 12 months on our own house hold goods ? Anyone have any issues like this when they moved back home

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really hope someone can help we are moving back home and taking back everything that we came with, just bad company out to do a quote for shipping, she has said that we might be charged with tax/vat as we haven't been here for 12 months on our own house hold goods ? Anyone have any issues like this when they moved back home

This can surely only be for goods that you bought when in Australia, not stuff you shipped from UK in the first place. Even then it is unlikely I would have thought. If the UK charged VAT then surely you would be able to reclaim the GST. Suggest you get a quote from a couple more companies and ask them to clarify this VAT question. I am suspicious that the company may be using this as a justification for bumping up the charges.

• Customer entering from outside the EC must have lived at least twelve months abroad and cannot sell, lend or hire out or otherwise dispose of the household goods and personal effects items in the United Kingdom within twelve months of importation, unless Customer obtains Customs authority first

This came from a shipping company website.

from HMRC

https://www.gov.uk/moving-to-uk

Loved it when 1st arrived but things I was told would happen before came have not come to light and now going to be way longer than what was told, plus it's very expensive to live like beyond a joke

You are not alone, don't feel bad.

Lots of people buy into the illusion and get conned into giving up their lives.

We got all the spin too from the glossy brochures back in the day....

"Huge shortage of people in certain professions"

"Your skills are in demand down under"

"Qualified migrants are sought after, highly prized and valued by employers"

"Plenty of opportunities"

"Wonderful Lifestyle"

We arrived, and had to suffer nearly 8 months of unemployment in a heavily saturated and oversupplied labour market with lots of other equally highly qualified and skilled migrants from all over Europe and Asia already here and arriving by the plane load every week (and no doubt still are).

We fully bought into the hype too, who wouldn't.

Have you still got the original receipts etc that you had prior to shipping your goods to Oz would help with any wrangles

On a personal basis I never ever get rid of documents I might shred the hard copy but I scan them first and keep on a file on my laptop it has helped in situations like yours

You are not alone, don't feel bad.

Lots of people are conned into giving up their lives and buying into the illusion.

We got all the spin too from the glossy brochures back in the day....

"Huge shortage of people in your profession"

"Your skills are in demand"

"Qualified migrants are sought after, highly prized and valued by employers"

"Plenty of opportunities"

"Wonderful Lifestyle"

We fully bought into the hype, who wouldn't.

Arrived, luckily had enough money to buy a well located house close to city for cash (it was VERY cheap in those days in, flogging our ex council house paid for it and we still had change left over), then found out the labour market was saturated and oversupplied with equally very highly qualified and skilled migrants from all over Europe and Asia arriving by the plane load every week (and no doubt they still are), then had to suffer the indignity of 8 months or so unemployment.

In those days the aussies blamed us migrants from countries with strong currencies for inflating the property prices (which was probably true).

Most of the local aussies at my work were renting (it was the done thing in those days) and they were far too thick to invest in property and most only realised they should be buying into property when it was far too late and by then struggled to get a foot on the ladder.

Thankfully we had the last laugh and Australia made our dreams come true in other ways, our house tripled in value and we left knowing some naïve clown just off the plane paid an arm and a leg for what was essentially an overpriced garage with a tin roof, paper thin single glazing, no insulation and a total sweatbox in summertime so close to the city yet still the most boring place under the sun.

Obviously they'd fallen into the hands of some con man property agent who gave them the hard sell and it sold almost as soon as it hit the market.

Took the money and ran, laughing all the way to the airport and said goodbye to the sleepy concrete jungle in the desert.

By the end of our time there, the cost of living had shot through the roof.

Thats very synical at the end of the day your adults and chose to move to Oz just because it didn't work for you doesn't make Australia a bad place to be !

Thats very synical at the end of the day your adults and chose to move to Oz just because it didn't work for you doesn't make Australia a bad place to be !

Sounds like he really spat the dummy.

Sounds like he also bought a dog of a house here :wub: My house is nothing like that. Still and all he was happy to sell it at a profit so good on him.

Ye I was same was told a lot of spiel in UK then got here to find out it will take double amount of time to get to where I was back home but hey at least gave it a try not for us miss people say they going to do it and never do so time to head home with the family, cheers for replying

I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you and also sorry you were told a load of bullsh*t in the UK before coming here. Hope things are a lot better for you once you are back in the UK.

It's sad but all salespeople prey on people's hopes and dreams and desperations.

Australia being so far away and having sunny whether and palm trees looks great in pictures. It's even worse when you're leaving your country because you might have been struggling there and you cash everything in for a better or easier life in Oz and realize it's going to be harder. You just never know until you've done it? The great Australian dream isn't even that reachable for young Australians. But I dare say life in Britain has gotten a lot tougher too.

The world's over crowded and incredibly globalized and automated. The rich keep getting richer and there's no easy road if starting out or if you're young. You need experience plus education plus money plus good fortune. The recipe for a good life in much of the western world is not as simple anymore. I mean I'm seeing people retiring around me in their 50s who never studied and never spent a day out of work.. whereas for younger folk they will be in education until they're in their late 20's and then playing catch up in a workforce where jobs are scarce and permanent jobs seem to be a thing of the past. It may not be 'til their thirties until they can even contemplate buying a house - which let's face it - are over priced everywhere. Well that will keep us in work until we're at least 70. The "dream" needs to be re-written and our expectations adjusted.

Ye I was same was told a lot of spiel in UK then got here to find out it will take double amount of time to get to where I was back home but hey at least gave it a try not for us miss people say they going to do it and never do so time to head home with the family, cheers for replying

It's disheartening but maybe you can still do a little of what you want to do and get something out of your move here? I think new arrivals these days need to have a 10-15 years plan instead of a 1-5 year plan because aspirations sometimes just can't be met so readily.

It's disheartening but maybe you can still do a little of what you want to do and get something out of your move here? I think new arrivals these days need to have a 10-15 years plan instead of a 1-5 year plan because aspirations sometimes just can't be met so readily.

By the same token, any sensible person can feel within a year or less that for some people the place can be too isolated, deadbeat, doesnt live up to the hype in the agents glossy brochures or websites, damaging for their career, expensive, is depleting their savings, making them poorer, and treats them as an outsider.

Sadly for some, that is just what they experience.

The risk is even greater now that we are entering a shaky global economy and a real possibility of a global financial crisis.

If its not working, get out while you still can afford to. Last thing you want is to be stuck permanently in a place you don't want to be without the resources to leave and lumbered with a house which could be depreciating in value.

You gave it a go, if it didn't work, no problem at least you tried which is more than what most people ever do.

No point flogging a dead horse just so you can save face or brag to people at home that you've got a big house on the beach.

By the same token, any sensible person can feel within a year or less that for some people the place can be too isolated, deadbeat, doesnt live up to the hype in the agents glossy brochures or websites, damaging for their career, expensive, is depleting their savings, making them poorer, and treats them as an outsider.

Sadly for some, that is just what they experience.

The risk is even greater now that we are entering a shaky global economy and a real possibility of a global financial crisis.

If its not working, get out while you still can afford to. Last thing you want is to be stuck permanently in a place you don't want to be without the resources to leave and lumbered with a house which could be depreciating in value.

You gave it a go, if it didn't work, no problem at least you tried which is more than what most people ever do.

No point flogging a dead horse just so you can save face or brag to people at home that you've got a big house on the beach.

Most people in that situation do return to the UK. Read the 'Moving Back Home' thread. You have a pretty dim view of your fellow countrymen when you say they would rather be miserable but save face by bragging and pretending life is great here when in fact it's actually pretty shite.

You will find it hard to believe but some of us are genuinely happy here and have sympathy for migrants who for whatever reason have found it very difficult in Australia and just want to go back home.

I take it you are back in the UK now. I'm sorry you have such bad memories of your time in Australia. Wish you all the best and good luck.

For those of us who came in the early days with a strong pound in our pockets, when houses right in the city centre could cost less than the equivalent of £80,000 and houses miles out of town could cost £50,000, ie those us who "got in on the act early" will have done very well out of it and I do accept many people are well set up now with their homes paid off and possibly an investment portfolio of properties to boot in some cases.

Kudos to anyone who has already "made it" and are reaping the rewards and loving it - that is the real Aussie dream. Well done but put yourself in the place of someone thinking of migrating today - forget the rosy stuff like "big houses and beaches" for one moment.

Today China doesn't consume gas, oil and ore's like it used to.

Their construction industry is in tatters, there are ghost towns and areas of cities where thousands of shiny new apartment blocks are lying empty, many half constructed and many abandoned concrete shells with not a worker or machine to be seen.

It was a bubble that grew too big too fast.

However what gets me are those advising potential migrants to totally ignore the big picture, the writing on the wall, ignore the fact that possibly the biggest ever global financial crisis is on the horizon and to just "come and give it a go, she'll be alright"

New migrants are never going to get the chances to grow their wealth like migrants got 15-20 years ago that is a fact, the money has gone, work is drying up everywhere, the mining boys saw the writing on the wall, threw in the towel and bailed out, and people in the last few years in some places have to face the fact that they paid far too much for their properties thinking the gravy train was always going to be there.

In these times, I would say to anyone who has a stable, secure job, a home, money in their pockets to spend, and a reasonably happy family life in the UK to think long and hard, look at the big picture and assess the risks fully.

I appreciate that this side of the coin is very prickly and the facts will hit a few nerves and rattle a few cages but I don't believe in glossing over things or filling people with false hope either.

Just looked at a few agents websites today out of interest and they are still peddling the same old dream albeit with a slightly more devious, less "in your face" sales pitch than the glossy brochures we were fed back in the day.

Sound advice, John.

Hopefully few potential migrants are viewing Australia as a place to get rich these days as I agree that is an unlikely dream. If they are, they should read your post and take note.

Many though, like us, have come for a new lifestyle and in our case, believe it or not, actually planned and expected things like lower income for that lifestyle.

We are happy with that choice so far.

For those of us who came in the early days with a strong pound in our pockets, when houses right in the city centre could cost less than the equivalent of £80,000 and houses miles out of town could cost £50,000, ie those us who "got in on the act early" will have done very well out of it and I do accept many people are well set up now with their homes paid off and possibly an investment portfolio of properties to boot in some cases.

Kudos to anyone who has already "made it" and are reaping the rewards and loving it - that is the real Aussie dream. Well done but put yourself in the place of someone thinking of migrating today - forget the rosy stuff like "big houses and beaches" for one moment.

Today China doesn't consume gas, oil and ore's like it used to.

Their construction industry is in tatters, there are ghost towns and areas of cities where thousands of shiny new apartment blocks are lying empty, many half constructed and many abandoned concrete shells with not a worker or machine to be seen.

It was a bubble that grew too big too fast.

However what gets me are those advising potential migrants to totally ignore the big picture, the writing on the wall, ignore the fact that possibly the biggest ever global financial crisis is on the horizon and to just "come and give it a go, she'll be alright"

New migrants are never going to get the chances to grow their wealth like migrants got 15-20 years ago that is a fact, the money has gone, work is drying up everywhere, the mining boys saw the writing on the wall, threw in the towel and bailed out, and people in the last few years in some places have to face the fact that they paid far too much for their properties thinking the gravy train was always going to be there.

In these times, I would say to anyone who has a stable, secure job, a home, money in their pockets to spend, and a reasonably happy family life in the UK to think long and hard, look at the big picture and assess the risks fully.

I appreciate that this side of the coin is very prickly and the facts will hit a few nerves and rattle a few cages but I don't believe in glossing over things or filling people with false hope either.

Just looked at a few agents websites today out of interest and they are still peddling the same old dream albeit with a slightly more devious, less "in your face" sales pitch than the glossy brochures we were fed back in the day.

What about migrants who hate their life in the UK ( well 1 hates, 1 is more disillusioned/apathetic about...) have sh*t jobs both in terms of pay and conditions but those same jobs in Aus are both much better paid and the demands into your personal/ family life are nowhere near as detrimental. Is it still ok for us to try something different??!

Archived