Where to do a reccy!!

Jamie83

Hi

Hope everyone is well. So here goes.

I've always longed to move to Australia and almost did in 2006, being offered a job etc however I met the future wife and stayed here. We now have a nearly 4 year old and another due in spring.

The Mrs has always said no about a move to oz but in the past year she has started to think that a move could be possible. One thing that is a must in her eyes is to do a reccy trip. I stand to inherit some money this year and we were thinking of using some of this to travel to Australia next year, if we like then we would look at using the rest of the money along with the sale of our house in the uk to finance a move and set up. I'm looking for any advice on where's best to look? I've always thought of Perth but have started to look at Brisbane too. I'm a time served electrician (currently a firefighter but would be going back to electrikery if we moved) and my wife is a teacher.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say definitely Brisbane over Perth, because with the downturn in mining, a lot of people seem to be struggling to find work in Perth and it will probably get worse. Brisbane is a lot more affordable too!

How does your wife cope with hot weather? Some people love it but some people don't cope that well, so that's a consideration when moving to Brissie. It's a good idea to go January/February so you see it at its hottest - if you love it then, you'll be fine!

If weather is likely to be an issue then you could consider Melbourne instead, housing is more expensive but being a bigger city there's more work too - and it's not as humid. Some migrants find the changeable weather is a disappointment if they're expecting constant sunshine though.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi

you sound pretty similar to us. 2childten one turned 4 on Saturday and one 15 months. We failed the Ielts by 1 point so need to resit it and my husband does not think he will pass the vetesses test as he's only been an electrician for 3 years doing just new builds.

we are thinking of going next month for 4 weeks to the Gold Coast area and seeing what it's actually like there. But worried about spending so much money for one month but it's been years and we are getting nowhere with all these tests.

Any advice on work there, housing for a month, anything would be appreciated

thanks

I'd say definitely Brisbane over Perth, because with the downturn in mining, a lot of people seem to be struggling to find work in Perth and it will probably get worse. Brisbane is a lot more affordable too!

How does your wife cope with hot weather? Some people love it but some people don't cope that well, so that's a consideration when moving to Brissie. It's a good idea to go January/February so you see it at its hottest - if you love it then, you'll be fine!

If weather is likely to be an issue then you could consider Melbourne instead, housing is more expensive but being a bigger city there's more work too - and it's not as humid. Some migrants find the changeable weather is a disappointment if they're expecting constant sunshine though.

Thanks Marisa. I've been considering Brisbane for the exact reasons you say. When researching jobs I've noticed more of a demand and housing is a bit cheaper but then I guess housing is the same everywhere depending on where you look!

She likes the heat but has stipulated a pool ha!

Holly, hope you get sorted. I've got 15 years experience as a spark (kept it up after I joined the fire service 4 year ago) so I'm hoping the tests won't phase me (pardon the pun) to much.

G'day mate, anywhere along the East Coast, if you want to be part of a community, look at the smaller towns. If you want to be part of a rat race, look at the big cities. Plenty of towns will need your and your lady's qualifications. Places like Toowoomba, Port Macquarie, Gladstone, Albury, etc will be ideal for you both.

Cheers, Bobj.

I would check with a registered migration agent about ability to qualify for a visa as it may not be as straight forward as you think. Most occupations will require the work experience element of the skills assessment to be for a minimum number of hours and that it must be recent. (Within the last 5 years).

G'day mate, anywhere along the East Coast, if you want to be part of a community, look at the smaller towns. If you want to be part of a rat race, look at the big cities. Plenty of towns will need your and your lady's qualifications. Places like Toowoomba, Port Macquarie, Gladstone, Albury, etc will be ideal for you both.

Cheers, Bobj.

I'd also suggest the sunshine coast (e.g. Caloundra) if you don't want the bigger cities - or even Northern NSW - Coffs, Newcastle etc... which I think would be lovely areas to live. If you're coming to Brisbane weather will probably be great from April - early Nov but don't come over the summer months here unless you like it sweaty... Hard to take if you're not used to it.... I love Melbourne and would consider living there as my work opportunities (IT) are so much better in Melbourne - BUT I've had 9 years of heat and am over it. I also don't have small kids. I do think although Brisbane lacks the sophistication of Melbourne, it offers a nice lifestyle for those with young kids who like the heat!

I would check with a registered migration agent about ability to qualify for a visa as it may not be as straight forward as you think. Most occupations will require the work experience element of the skills assessment to be for a minimum number of hours and that it must be recent. (Within the last 5 years).

Thanks for the heads up, appreciated. I have checked with an agent and because I have over 10 years experience before joining the fire service 4 years ago they said that I should be fine. I'm also looking at leaving the fire service (it's being destroyed by the tories and will be privatised within 10 years) and getting back on the tools if we decide that we are going to make the move. Although I've kept my skills up I will be a bit rusty so decided that if we come to oz then I'll get back hands on here in the uk beforehand so I can hopefully hit the ground running and will be a bit more switched (sorry another pun lol) on for my skills tests etc.

Thanks Marisa. I've been considering Brisbane for the exact reasons you say. When researching jobs I've noticed more of a demand and housing is a bit cheaper but then I guess housing is the same everywhere depending on where you look!

Housing is NOT the same everywhere! Take a look around you in England - does a house in Leeds cost the same as a house in London? Australia is no different!

Sydney is THE most expensive city in Australia for housing. I can't find the latest comparative figures but Canberra, Perth and Melbourne are middling, with Brisbane and Adelaide the cheapest.

I was meaning the same as a general outlook ie i live in the north east of England, yes it's cheaper to buy a house here than London but the same principals apply as in you pay a higher price in a more affluent area or an area closer to a city centre.

Brisbane would be a good base to look round both the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast. Look at the Big 4 caravan parks at their cabins maybe or an apartment somewhere- there are heaps round the Gold Coast, it is a holiday area. Otherwise North New South Wales is nice, too- fly in to Newcastle.