Used SUV for Under $10,000?

GoldcoastMAD

Hello,

We're moving to the Gold Coast soon and have started to look into used Cars avaible to buy. To begin with I'd like to buy a used SUV, preferably an auto with enough room for a family of 4 and two small dogs.

Can anyone offer advise on a good SUV, that's cheap for parts, repair and is reliable?

I've seen a couple of cheap ones which I've never heard of , like the Great Wall X240 and the Chery J11..I've read some dodgy reviews about the latter, but the X240 has decent reviews, but I've read parts aren't easily available?

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/great-wall-x240-2010-present.html

I've seen loads of 2010 Great Wall SUV's available for under $6000...Seems very cheap

I'd recommend a Hyundai Santa Fe, that's what we had - 7 seater but used as a 5 it has great luggage capacity and the fuel consumption is about the best there is for an SUV

I'd recommend a Hyundai Santa Fe, that's what we had - 7 seater but used as a 5 it has great luggage capacity and the fuel consumption is about the best there is for an SUV

thanks, they look a decent option ...although there's not to many of them available on the Gold Coast below $10k with less than 200k miles.

We used to have a Ford Territory which we loved. Really spacious inside, with a huge boot. We only sold it so that we could downsize to a smaller SUV (our Territory had 7 seats which we used very occasionally when the in-laws were over), and bought a Nissan X-Trail which we also love. It is smaller but very efficient on fuel. It means we can't go to IKEA and buy too much, so OH loves it!

We used to have a Ford Territory which we loved. Really spacious inside, with a huge boot. We only sold it so that we could downsize to a smaller SUV (our Territory had 7 seats which we used very occasionally when the in-laws were over), and bought a Nissan X-Trail which we also love. It is smaller but very efficient on fuel. It means we can't go to IKEA and buy too much, so OH loves it!

I got the feeling that Australians don't rate ford much ..Found On Rubbish Dump..was a quote i heard. Obviously the are very popular in the UK (owned a few myself over the the years), but aren't parts expensive for them in OZ?

I'm not sure about parts, to be honest. We had ours for six years and it never needed any work doing to it other than the small bits that get changed as part of a service. I see loads of Fords here (territory and other models), but I believe the Ford factory in Geelong is closing/has closed which may have an effect. We went for a Nissan this time because it was much smaller than the Ford, but is still an SUV. In terms of space, the Territory could fit three full-size car seats across the back seats. Now my daughters and her friends are older they don't really need seats by the letter of the law (although I still put them in for my two if we are going on a long drive), so we didn't need that width or the huge boot space.

I got the feeling that Australians don't rate ford much ..Found On Rubbish Dump..was a quote i heard. Obviously the are very popular in the UK (owned a few myself over the the years), but aren't parts expensive for them in OZ?

Ford and Holden are both hugely popular with loyal followings for each. Ford and Holden also have cheap parts and easy to get second hand parts here compared to lots of other makes.

Yep slagging off Fords and Holdens is a

national sport by those that prefer the other marque so take no notice, it's on a par with what

a Celtic fan would say about Rangers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We had a Great Wall for about 3 years, it's a basic and OK car, cheap as chips with leather apolstery , reverse cameras etc. also a genuine 4 wheel drive option but pre 2011 though I think didn't have a good ancap safety rating, so this can be an issue. We've got a really low k Mitzy Triton dual cab Ute now which is great for off roading and just about everything else family and dog oriented .

Fords big SUV offerings come across as very basic and American in engineering terms. Puts me off.

We have more or less decided to buy the wife a brand new Kia sportage when we land, especially as new model now here, so 2015 new stock will drop in price. Have to get used the the Oz car market, used prices seems high. We had looked at a good 3 year old one, as you would in the UK to avoid 'new car bubble' . But 3 year old kias (sportage diesel platinum auto 4wd) are going for $27-$29 k with 60k km on them !!

When we can buy new with zero km and a fresh 7 year warranty for $38k on the road and falling. Why buy used ?

As for me, I am looking at larger 7 seater. Kia sorrento or mits outlander. I have seem some petrol sorrento's going for under $10k, as a first car sort of option.

Fords big SUV offerings come across as very basic and American in engineering terms. Puts me off.

We have more or less decided to buy the wife a brand new Kia sportage when we land, especially as new model now here, so 2015 new stock will drop in price. Have to get used the the Oz car market, used prices seems high. We had looked at a good 3 year old one, as you would in the UK to avoid 'new car bubble' . But 3 year old kias (sportage diesel platinum auto 4wd) are going for $27-$29 k with 60k km on them !!

When we can buy new with zero km and a fresh 7 year warranty for $38k on the road and falling. Why buy used ?

As for me, I am looking at larger 7 seater. Kia sorrento or mits outlander. I have seem some petrol sorrento's going for under $10k, as a first car sort of option.

i don't have a job as yet , so just wanted something to see us thought the first year . Something that's that's decent and Fairly cheap . Will probably get two news cars once I'm settled .

I've owned a Territory for 11 years, brilliant ride, very comfy and spacious....and forever getting things fixed on it. There are LOTS of things that happen where my mechanics tell me "oh they all do that". The engineering team need a payrise, but the build quality is woeful.

I'd steer well clear of anything Chinese-built. The X-Trail is a brilliant option within your budget. A number of friends have had them for years, and they just keep going and going.

I've owned a Territory for 11 years, brilliant ride, very comfy and spacious....and forever getting things fixed on it. There are LOTS of things that happen where my mechanics tell me "oh they all do that". The engineering team need a payrise, but the build quality is woeful.

I'd steer well clear of anything Chinese-built. The X-Trail is a brilliant option within your budget. A number of friends have had them for years, and they just keep going and going.

Thanks Iron Chef - I like the X trail, will add that to the list of potentials

Archived