Which bank?

agm

Hi everyone. Having received my visa now I am looking into which bank to open an account with and would be interested to hear people's experiences.

Which bank is easiest, most reliable, has the least charges etc. It's an account I'd just use for living / working in Oz only at this stage - ie: domestic usage.

thanks for any advice you have to offer

We were always happy with Westpac - if you know where you'll be living look at the number of ATM's in that area because unlike in the UK you are charged for using other banks ATM's

Guest The Pom Queen

When I was a relocation agent in Melbourne a lot of my clients used Westpac and a few were unhappy as once they arrived they had to go in to the branch to do their ID check but then they needed to wait 5 working days for their cards to arrive which was hard if they didn't have a fixed address and some branches refused to let them be delivered to the branch.

We found with NAB the cards are already waiting for you on arrival not only that but they don't charge monthly fees like the other big banks. NAB also fast track the opening of accounts to pomsinoz members and if you use Moneycorp to transfer your money there are no fees to receive your money.

We started out with ANZ and then changed to the Commonwealth after being here for a while. Our mortgage is with Commonwealth as they were happy to lend to us after just a few weeks in the country. It doesn't really matter which bank you start off with as they are all pretty much the same really for basic accounts. You can always change banks once you get here and your banking needs become clearer or change.

We use Commonwealth and ANZ.

Commonwealth we have no fees but that is possibly not the norm on an account.

Can't complain about either of them TBH. Plenty of ATM's around and all that.

You can always change if you don't like the one you sign up with. Any of the main ones would get you started.

When I was a relocation agent in Melbourne a lot of my clients used Westpac and a few were unhappy as once they arrived they had to go in to the branch to do their ID check but then they needed to wait 5 working days for their cards to arrive which was hard if they didn't have a fixed address and some branches refused to let them be delivered to the branch.

We found with NAB the cards are already waiting for you on arrival not only that but they don't charge monthly fees like the other big banks. NAB also fast track the opening of accounts to pomsinoz members and if you use Moneycorp to transfer your money there are no fees to receive your money.

It may have changed kate as when we arrived we were given our cards there and then and activated them at the branch ready to use.

To the OP, we're another Westpac customer - not changed our bank since arrival in 2007

I signed up to NAB before we arrived in Oz. I thought they were a bit backward due to cards having to be sent to the branch and then having to travel to pick them up. Also, whenever I spend on EPTPOS or Debit card random amounts appear on online banking (e.g. $0.00, $0.01, $1.00) with no description, and it takes days for it to be updated, making it hard to keep track of what i've spent.

I moved to Commonwealth - they send cards in the post (21st century style) and online banking is a nice experience. No random amounts on my statements - any debits appear correctly immediately (in a "pending" state). They have a $4 or $6 per month fee depending on which transaction account you have, although this fee is waived if at least $2,000 comes into your account each money.

I'm with ANZ. Been very happy with them - I like their smartphone banking App in particular (I can view all my accounts including my Super anytime) and there never seems to be a shortage of their ATMs around. Also they seem to be the only bank that will give mortgages to the self-employed without insisting on two years of accounts.

Archived