HECS repayments overseas

thinker78

Just a heads up to anyone who is leaving or has left- there has been a legislative change which means you need to repay your HECS debt even if overseas. You can manage this on mygov. Minimum salary levels apply.

If they can find me. Mines 25 years old!

Isn't it right that when you take out a loan you should pay it back

Those who haven't are costing Australia millions and millions

The rule changes will stop this from happening again

Like I said

About time

I don't have a problem with it, but it might be amusing watching them try and enforce it.

Personally I think it should be paid back regardless of earnings to stop all the time wasters. Why penalize those who are achieving while the bludgers get off scot free?

But you said

Are you paying yours back?

If I'm legally required to then yes. They know where I live as I've just renewed my passport, so I'll be awaiting the letter with baited breath. Most of mine was paid off last time I was in oz, so I think I only owe a couple of hundred anyway.

But I expect there are those who owe in the thousands who no longer have a relationship with Australia who will ignore it. I really can't see how they could enforce it if you don't reenter the country.

Edited by newjez

If I'm legally required to then yes. They know where I live as I've just renewed my passport, so I'll be awaiting the letter with baited breath. Most of mine was paid off last time I was in oz, so I think I only owe a couple of hundred anyway.

But I expect there are those who owe in the thousands who no longer have a relationship with Australia who will ignore it. I really can't see how they could enforce it if you don't reenter the country.

By connecting with the the taxation authority in the new country of residence they could have the money removed automatically from salaries as they do here. Who knows, but I am sure they have something planned.

By connecting with the the taxation authority in the new country of residence they could have the money removed automatically from salaries as they do here. Who knows, but I am sure they have something planned.

Maybe they could have some sort of bilateral agreement.