Will my mum be able to join us in Oz

Racmac

Don't get too excited by HappyHeart's reply!

If you've got no brothers or sisters then your mother passes the "balance of family" test to get a Parent Visa, BUT the waiting time for those visa is about 30 years (no, that's not a typo, it really is thirty years).

There are also Contributory Parent Visas, which only take a couple of years - but they are much more expensive - I believe the cost is around £50,000.

The problem is that Australia really doesn't want to encourage people to come to Australia late in life because of the cost to the taxpayer. The logic is that as we get older, we all tend to need more and more medical intervention, so older people eventually cost the government more in Medicare and aged care than they contribute in taxes. That's why the fees for the Contributory Visa are so high, to try to offset that.

It's very tough on people who migrate and then want the rest of their family to follow them, but that's the reality of migration I'm afraid - families get split up. The people who cope best with migration are the ones who don't mind being separated from family.

Don't get too excited by HappyHeart's reply!

If you've got no brothers or sisters then your mother passes the "balance of family" test to get a Parent Visa, BUT the waiting time for those visa is about 30 years (no, that's not a typo, it really is thirty years).

There are also Contributory Parent Visas, which only take a couple of years - but they are much more expensive - I believe the cost is around £50,000.

The problem is that Australia really doesn't want to encourage people to come to Australia late in life because of the cost to the taxpayer. The logic is that as we get older, we all tend to need more and more medical intervention, so older people eventually cost the government more in Medicare and aged care than they contribute in taxes. That's why the fees for the Contributory Visa are so high, to try to offset that.

It's very tough on people who migrate and then want the rest of their family to follow them, but that's the reality of migration I'm afraid - families get split up. The people who cope best with migration are the ones who don't mind being separated from family.

Oh, that's not what I wanted to hear!

Oh, that's not what I wanted to hear!

I am sure it's better than the previous response. I am hoping to bring my Mum too, in the future. Two years after you arrive with a PR visa, you're allowed to sponsor a parent to migrate. I think the cost is currently £22,000 or £44K auD. Medicals are required. Certain conditions may prevent migration, such as insulin dependent diabetes, HIV, tb. I'm not sure what else. I'm absolutely desperate that we can get my Mum in too. Don't know what I'd do if we couldn't. But have a chat to a migration agent, mine was able to reassure me that we'd be able to get my Mum in hopefully-probably-pretty-please!

Things can change in two years, remember that. Visa rules and regs have changed since I applied for and got my visa and that was 3 or so years ago.

What might be possible today, well, in 2 years time it might not.

Honestly, I do tend to agree with Marisa on the point of if you choose to migrate, you choose to split the family up and having them join you later on isn't actually always a workable or suitable solution. Nor does it happen for all those that may want it to.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare

Yes, she would, take a good look at the Immigration site and familiarise yourself with the options. There are other threads also on here you may like to search through

When I said, 'yes she would' I was actually replying to the last line of your question OP, the bit about medicals. The Immi site is still the best source of information. Check it out, I hope the link works for you. It seems there's a few options, all of which involve money and lots of, I did read that the cost of a contributory visa can be spread over years if our parent comes first on a temp visa....haven't explored that myself yet. There's every chance one of mine would like to come over in the future.

I am sure it's better than the previous response. I am hoping to bring my Mum too, in the future. Two years after you arrive with a PR visa, you're allowed to sponsor a parent to migrate. I think the cost is currently £22,000 or £44K auD. Medicals are required. Certain conditions may prevent migration, such as insulin dependent diabetes, HIV, tb. I'm not sure what else. I'm absolutely desperate that we can get my Mum in too. Don't know what I'd do if we couldn't. But have a chat to a migration agent, mine was able to reassure me that we'd be able to get my Mum in hopefully-probably-pretty-please!

A few facts -

You have to meet the balance of family test.

The faster visas require a bond of prox $50k per person plus the cost of the visa itself.

The longer (cheaper) ones can be up to 30 years to be granted.

Insulin dependent diabetes in itself is not an automatic show-stopper medically. Even HIv is not an automatic ban these days.

My understanding is that the original post asked whether it would be possible for her mother to join her in Oz. Many replies followed addressing this but other posts evolved into a discussion about parents in Oz in general. Nothing particularly wrong with this...this often ensues when a lively discussion gets going. However, the latter didn't really address the original post so, as I see it, the moderator has simply separated the 2 differerent directions which the post has taken.

Just to clarify my mum has asked if she can join us if we like it. I'm not forcing or persuading her to do anything, believe me my mum is a very independent experienced traveller and is not some frail old dear that needs looking after!

I just wanted to know if it were possible if she decided to come with us!

Just to clarify my mum has asked if she can join us if we like it. I'm not forcing or persuading her to do anything, believe me my mum is a very independent experienced traveller and is not some frail old dear that needs looking after!

I just wanted to know if it were possible if she decided to come with us!

I hope the answer was clear. Right now yes, it is possible but the cost is quite high (around $50,000), and since visa costs are always going up, it's likely to cost more than that by the time you're eligible to sponsor her.

So I guess what we're trying to say is yes, it is possible right now, but I wouldn't recommend anyone (like the other poster who said she was "desperate" to bring her mum out) to take the decision to migrate assuming they're guaranteed to be able to bring their mother to Australia at some future date. In reality it's very uncertain as the Australian govt is making it harder and harder for older migrants all the time.

I hope the answer was clear. Right now yes, it is possible but the cost is quite high (around $50,000), and since visa costs are always going up, it's likely to cost more than that by the time you're eligible to sponsor her.

So I guess what we're trying to say is yes, it is possible right now, but we wouldn't recommend anyone take the decision to migrate assuming they're guaranteed to be able to bring their mother to Australia at some future date. The Australian govt is making it harder and harder for older migrants all the time.

Yes, thank you. I wouldn't only emigrate on basis she was coming but its good to know whether its potentially an option or not

A few facts -

You have to meet the balance of family test.

The faster visas require a bond of prox $50k per person plus the cost of the visa itself.

The longer (cheaper) ones can be up to 30 years to be granted.

Insulin dependent diabetes in itself is not an automatic show-stopper medically. Even HIv is not an automatic ban these days.

Just to clarify, the $50k isn't a 'bond' as such, which implies you will get it back. It's a fee. Although there is a component $10k which you do get back providing you haven't made an imposition on welfare benefits.

Archived