Economy still strong and thriving

Shaunohan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only. Four months old and definitely not strong. Australian savers have a war chest? We have some of the largest personal debit in the world. While wages are stalled or in decline prices remain high. Low interest rates do encourage consumption but increase debt.

WA hit hard by the resource down turn, which has not reached bottom yet, have the highest repossession rates of houses in Australia.

An altogether very poorly put together article with weak attempts at storing up confidence.

Unemployment data out held firm again this month at 5.8% no sign of a great collapse yet...

You are the king of confirmation bias flag.

And looking at the data, a move from part-time to full-time work, with over .3 million more hours being worked.

And looking at the data, a move from part-time to full-time work, with over .3 million more hours being worked.

Yeah I spotted that. Great news can't be any complaints of zero hours etc.

Unemployment data out held firm again this month at 5.8% no sign of a great collapse yet...

You are the king of confirmation bias flag.

And you believe what is dished up to you without a lot of thought. Wages care stagnating. Hours are in decline. People will find it more of a struggle to maintain living standards . Already the 'growth 'state of recent past, WA leads the way in delinquent loans and housing repossessions. I don't pay a lot of attention to how unemployment figures are collated anyway but am aware many do. WA 6.6% officially. Pretty darn high.

Zero hours are not an issue, if it's what the employee wants (I loved it when i was a student, as it meant I could pick and choose when I worked).

Not so good though when having responsibilities and need to repay a mortgage on an over inflated house price, or plan for a holiday, or things people need to plan for a future for. Ideal for an employer though.

I have no plans to move to WA fortunately! Luckily things aren't the same over east but then we haven't been riding that same boom.

When we were living and working in Sydney we had no idea about the boom in WA or QLD. It didn't affect us in any way. Used to occasionally see reports about how expensive rents were in Perth and in the mining areas .................. horrendous! Maybe things/prices will get back to 'normal' now.

When we were living and working in Sydney we had no idea about the boom in WA or QLD. It didn't affect us in any way. Used to occasionally see reports about how expensive rents were in Perth and in the mining areas .................. horrendous! Maybe things/prices will get back to 'normal' now.

Thing is they have attempted to create a 'new normal' Hardly confined to WA though. Sydney is pretty unaffordable to most people on ordinary incomes.

QLD has seen price corrections in The Bowen Basin.

I have no plans to move to WA fortunately! Luckily things aren't the same over east but then we haven't been riding that same boom.

QLD as WA and NT were certainly riding the mining boom. I do wonder how long QLD can maintain a degree of smugness, at times expressed on here, when only several months ago many on here saw no end to the WA boom that lived here in WA.

I note a number no longer seem to post and those that do reflect on other topics.

Thing is they have attempted to create a 'new normal' Hardly confined to WA though. Sydney is pretty unaffordable to most people on ordinary incomes.

Yes Sydney prices are ridiculous. There is no way we would have been able to buy a nice family home in North Ryde at today's prices if we were a young couple with toddlers but years ago it was definitely possible.

What do most people on ordinary incomes do then? Surely Sydney must have a fair share of ordinary people after all you still get served at the supermarket and the shelves re stocked from goods brought in by truck drivers.

Not so good though when having responsibilities and need to repay a mortgage on an over inflated house price, or plan for a holiday, or things people need to plan for a future for. Ideal for an employer though.

But I wouldn't have a 'Zero Hour' contract if I had those kind of responsibilities. I'd have a full time job ..

QLD as WA and NT were certainly riding the mining boom. I do wonder how long QLD can maintain a degree of smugness, at times expressed on here, when only several months ago many on here saw no end to the WA boom that lived here in WA.

I note a number no longer seem to post and those that do reflect on other topics.

Not sure we had the dramatic rise in house prices in fact Brisbane has been relatively flat for years! But if correcting your assumptions is smug, consider me smug!

What do most people on ordinary incomes do then? Surely Sydney must have a fair share of ordinary people after all you still get served at the supermarket and the shelves re stocked from goods brought in by truck drivers.

They live at home, shared houses, travel great distances, sleep in hostels, back packers, 457's in crowded accommodation and even doss down in the park for all I know.

The issue being getting people to do essential services in cities as London and Sydney, Vancouver and Wellington, as examples is becoming ever harder due to the lack of affordability.

Few can afford to remain come time to start a family and get on with the serious side of life. Not forgetting the negative connotations regarding whole parts of society being excluded and the impacts on vitality and character of our cities.

That's the reason London Borough's have a system of so much affordable housing in place in certain inner areas. Teachers, Ambulance Drivers, Police, Firemen all caught up in the spiralling costs that does few much good, besides your supermarket workers, Aged Care and cleaners and equally important workers.

Not sure we had the dramatic rise in house prices in fact Brisbane has been relatively flat for years! But if correcting your assumptions is smug, consider me smug!

But you don't correct as appear to have an inability to comprehend. The accusations regarding the banks the other day a fine example. Any smugness on your part will of course be dealt with appropriately as per normal. Although aware you fancy your self.

But you don't correct as appear to have an inability to comprehend. The accusations regarding the banks the other day a fine example. Any smugness on your part will of course be dealt with appropriately as per normal. Although aware you fancy your self.

Brisbane like other cities experienced a massive boom in housing over the past decade. OK has slowed in recent years but still head above the ground. The spruikers will continue to spruik it but it appears the glory days are over. Apartment over building appears to have brought on declines in that particular side of the market.

Unlike Perth, though Brisbane may have slightly more realistic prices I would say they are over priced none the less, with corrections in the pipeline.

Yes Sydney prices are ridiculous. There is no way we would have been able to buy a nice family home in North Ryde at today's prices if we were a young couple with toddlers but years ago it was definitely possible.

Unsustainable long term I'd suspect. Foreign money helps maintain the illusion (same as London) Sadly Sydney is not alone in the housing farce. A life of servitude in order to pay of a roof, a human right, is clearly daft and even perhaps Australia will arrive at its collective senses one of these days and pose the appropriate questions.

Flag your problem is you've nailed your colours to the mast so long ago you keep digging and digging. Even if a recession does come shortly you called it so long ago that it doesn't really even make a good prediction. Also not all recessions are crippling busts, I'm not sure if you just have never studied economics or just like putting a dampener on this forum? Not sure why you are commenting on SE QLD again, you have shown not to have any real knowledge of the area.

Flag your problem is you've nailed your colours to the mast so long ago you keep digging and digging. Even if a recession does come shortly you called it so long ago that it doesn't really even make a good prediction. Also not all recessions are crippling busts, I'm not sure if you just have never studied economics or just like putting a dampener on this forum? Not sure why you are commenting on SE QLD again, you have shown not to have any real knowledge of the area.

Even if I hadn't studied economics, I wouldn't necessary treat that as a negative. Not sure what you know about the subject, but this is building up to be a substantial downturn. Not sure I ever said a crippling bust either , but even people that make a living out of economics out undecided about that. Economics is not precise discipline and opinions from experts vary considerably. Often depends whose pay they are in. A bit like scientists, I suppose.

Yes since 2012 a major correction was evident. It has been put on hold through outside intervention for many years, but it will come just to what ferocity. I can see you have a lot of uncertainty in general. I obviously wrote about SE QLD in answer to your post. How long have you been out here, again? I think I have portrayed issues in the area very well. Got anymore to say about banks? You seemed rather contemptuous of my supposed right wing support of the banking industry in a post the other day. Again displaying how little you know about me or the subject you wish to address in general.

Even if I hadn't studied economics, I wouldn't necessary treat that as a negative. Not sure what you know about the subject, but this is building up to be a substantial downturn. Not sure I ever said a crippling bust either , but even people that make a living out of economics out undecided about that. Economics is not precise discipline and opinions from experts vary considerably. Often depends whose pay they are in. A bit like scientists, I suppose.

Yes since 2012 a major correction was evident. It has been put on hold through outside intervention for many years, but it will come just to what ferocity. I can see you have a lot of uncertainty in general. I obviously wrote about SE QLD in answer to your post. How long have you been out here, again? I think I have portrayed issues in the area very well. Got anymore to say about banks? You seemed rather contemptuous of my supposed right wing support of the banking industry in a post the other day. Again displaying how little you know about me or the subject you wish to address in general.

In defence of you flag ,you are anything but right wing ,or supporter of the banks .

In relation to the economies of the world ,the govts are keeping the truth from us .

It reminds me of the situation in relation to climate change .

We are told they are aiming to stay under plus 2c ,I think we have already passed that .

We have just had the warmest ,wettest December in recorded history @ 4c above average ....and rising .

Australia has thrown its hat in the ring with china and if china falters.

Britain has a lot to answer for on Tha front ,falling into bed with the e.u ,and casting the commonwealth aside.

The commonwealth would have been a fantastic trading bloc in its own right

In relation to the ongoing economic issues, no one has brought up the fact that the worlds economies are so inter dependant now ,this was never the case previously ,including the 90s.