The Coast

tracy123

Guest oggie1
hi

its better having all of the oz creatures any day than having to be in the uk with gordan brown and all of his parasites.

dobba

I f Aus is 20 years behind, then you've still got this to look forward to:biglaugh:

Hopefully I'll be settled in by then:tongue:

Chris.

HI EVERYONE

WHAT IS IT WITH THE ENGLISH AND THE COAST?????

YOU ALL TALK ABOUT SPIDERS AND SNAKES YOU CAN SEE THEM COMING AND THEY WILL RUN RATHER THAN FIGHT!!!!

BUT SEA CREATURE'S WILL COME LOOKING FOR YOU!!!!!! (HAVE YOU NOT SEEN JAWS????????) JELLY FISH, BLUE RING OCTOPUS, THINGS THAT LIVE IN THE SAND AND SPIKE YOU.

LIVE DEEP IN THE SUBURBS GET A POOL!!!!!!!!!

LOVE YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS (YOU'LL NEED IT)

GEOFFREY

PS I was told by Tracy to put lol

Well, I'm not English so that's a start.

Snakes and spiders, while not being my favourite beasties on the planet, are OK. If they leave me alone I'll leave them alone.

I'm not into beaches or the sea (other than something to photograph) so the sharks et al can stare wistfully at me from the water, and whatever this sandy spiky beasty is I dunno, but if it can spike me through a pair of Caterpillars then good luck to it.

Guest ozboy

If its so dangerous swimming in the beach in OZ then why do millions of people go swimming and surfing every year do they all have a death wish? Around 2 people a year are killed by sharks compared to 1,600 in car accidents, the only time you are in real danger is driving in your car on the way to the beach.

Guest earlswood
If its so dangerous swimming in the beach in OZ then why do millions of people go swimming and surfing every year do they all have a death wish? Around 2 people a year are killed by sharks compared to 1,600 in car accidents, the only time you are in real danger is driving in your car on the way to the beach.

You have more chance of winning the lottery 3 times in a row than being killed by a shark....blimey people...:nah:

Guest Letasha
You have more chance of winning the lottery 3 times in a row than being killed by a shark....blimey people...:nah:

Whats the stats for them biting yer arm or leg off Earls :twitcy:

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

I have read of 3 people who in the last 3 weeks have been mauled by sharks here in sydney.....didnt here of 3 jackpot winners.......the oldlottery quote dont cut itfor me...i surf regularly year round and i aint going in the water until the swarms of baitfish that are about at the moment bugger off.

Guest earlswood
I have read of 3 people who in the last 3 weeks have been mauled by sharks here in sydney.....didnt here of 3 jackpot winners.......the oldlottery quote dont cut itfor me...i surf regularly year round and i aint going in the water until the swarms of baitfish that are about at the moment bugger off.

Please note the word "killed" in my post. Average one a year of the whole of Australia, you have so much more chance of dying in your car but you still drive.

61 people in 50 years have been killed by sharks, as I say you have more chance of winning the lottery twice,

Page 1 Student Information Sheet 12

Seaweek 2005 - MESA

Australian Shark Attacks

Introduction

Sharks occur in all the coastal waters and estuarine habitats

around Australia’s coast. As the population increases many

more people are entering coastal waters.. In the last 50 years,

there have been only 51 human deaths in Australian waters

from shark attack. Some years there are none, other years

there have been up to three in a year, but the average is

around one per year. Each year thousands of swimming days

take place on our beaches, harbours and rivers and the

number is increasing with both increasing population an

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
Please note the word "killed" in my post. Average one a year of the whole of Australia, you have so much more chance of dying in your car but you still drive.

61 people in 50 years have been killed by sharks, as I say you have more chance of winning the lottery twice,

Page 1 Student Information Sheet 12

Seaweek 2005 - MESA

Australian Shark Attacks

Introduction

Sharks occur in all the coastal waters and estuarine habitats

around Australia’s coast. As the population increases many

more people are entering coastal waters.. In the last 50 years,

there have been only 51 human deaths in Australian waters

from shark attack. Some years there are none, other years

there have been up to three in a year, but the average is

around one per year. Each year thousands of swimming days

take place on our beaches, harbours and rivers and the

number is increasing with both increasing population an

your ref to'being killed' was already noted...i was working on the assumption that any violent encounter with a shark would be reason to think twice about staying out of the water....you also originally said winning the lottery 3 times in a row so you yourself have just lowered the odds in one fell swoop ;0)...sorry mr statto but 3 attacks in 3 weeks plus daily spottings off of my local beach of hammerheads,pointers and bulls is enough to keep me and a lot of other locals out of the surf......odds or no odds.

Guest earlswood
your ref to'being killed' was already noted...i was working on the assumption that any violent encounter with a shark would be reason to think twice about staying out of the water....you also originally said winning the lottery 3 times in a row so you yourself have just lowered the odds in one fell swoop ;0)...sorry mr statto but 3 attacks in 3 weeks plus daily spottings off of my local beach of hammerheads,pointers and bulls is enough to keep me and a lot of other locals out of the surf......odds or no odds.

51 deaths in 50 years yet you stay out of the water........thousands upon thousands killed in car accidents over the last 50 years in Oz.. yet you still drive your car.....:GEEK:

Something strange about that.

51 deaths in 50 years yet you stay out of the water........thousands upon thousands killed in car accidents over the last 50 years in Oz.. yet you still drive your car.....:GEEK:

Have to agree with Earlswood, here.:arghh:

In my younger days, I used to do a lot of spear fishing and skin diving, from WA, Vic and NSW and never saw a shark...I tell a fib, saw 2 wobbygong sharks off Woolgoolga, NSW.

It is "the fear of the unknown" that people dread. If we carried that irrational fear on dry land...

Just to put it in perspective:

The Most Dangerous Outdoor Activity - Lifestyle

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

You talk as if anything other than death by sharkattack is worth the risk........maybe only 51 actual deaths in 50years.......what about maulings,dismemberment or general close encounter....ithink youll find the numbers increase ten fold....as far as im concerned all these are good enough reason to stay out of the water until the shark activity dies down......please free to return to oz and take a dip off of long reef.....reckon i could sell tickets for that one:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
You talk as if anything other than death by sharkattack is worth the risk........maybe only 51 actual deaths in 50years.......what about maulings,dismemberment or general close encounter....ithink youll find the numbers increase ten fold....as far as im concerned all these are good enough reason to stay out of the water until the shark activity dies down......please free to return to oz and take a dip off of long reef.....reckon i could sell tickets for that one:biglaugh:

And that goes for car accidents also!

as I say...irrational fear.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
Yep, people are blasé about crossing dangerous roads walking in close proximity to building projects, driving while dunk etc, yet so paranoid about wetting their tootsies in the briny.

Cheers, Bobj.

Diffrence being is we have to drive(obviously not drunk)/cross the road,walk past building projects to live our everyday lives...get to the shops/work/school...think about it toomuch and you'll never leave home...cant really justify paddling out in shark infested waters as a daily neccessity....I agree with you and earls that the chances are slim to none that anything willhappen but you show me a surfer/ocean swimmer that doesnt have 'old Mr white 'in the back of his mind when he goes out and ill show you a liar,add the 3 recent attacks and countless feeding frenzies spotted less than a click off the shore and your paranoia rises full on.

Guest earlswood
Yep, people are blasé about crossing dangerous roads walking in close proximity to building projects, driving while dunk etc, yet so paranoid about wetting their tootsies in the briny.

Cheers, Bobj.

Spot on , their is no danger of swimming in the sea even if sharks are about, the chances are as reported 1 a year and millions swim right next to sharks in Austrakia without even knowing they are there, they will not touch you....one a year proves it..

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
Spot on , their is no danger of swimming in the sea even if sharks are about, the chances are as reported 1 a year and millions swim right next to sharks in Austrakia without even knowing they are there, they will not touch you....one a year proves it..

Try telling that to the son of the 54yr old man killed by a 3m white pointer snorkelling near rockingham this xmas or the 16 year old body boarder who watched his mate killedby a great white off of Ballina last year,the kayakers who spent 10mins being circled by another great white off of Long reef...or the navy diver who lost an armand leg at syd harbour 4 weeksago.....or the bondi surfer who lost his hand 3 weeksago..or the 15year old lad who had his leg mauled surfing Avalon 2 weeks ago...or the girl attacked down near Wollongong by a bull shark in a river a few months back.....cant see your 'expert' opinion cutting much ice with them.

Then again...Let's put it in perspective, hey?

"Auto Accident Facts:

There were an estimated 6,420,000 cars involved in accidents in the US in 2005. The cost of these accidents exceeds 230+ Billion dollars. There were about 2.9 million injury cases and 42,636 car accident deaths. An average of 115 persons die each day in motor vehicle crashes in the United States -- one every 13 minutes. According to the World Health Organization about 3000 people die in crashes each day worldwide."

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest earlswood
Try telling that to the son of the 54yr old man killed by a 3m white pointer snorkelling near rockingham this xmas or the 16 year old body boarder who watched his mate killedby a great white off of Ballina last year,the kayakers who spent 10mins being circled by another great white off of Long reef...or the navy diver who lost an armand leg at syd harbour 4 weeksago.....or the bondi surfer who lost his hand 3 weeksago..or the 15year old lad who had his leg mauled surfing Avalon 2 weeks ago...or the girl attacked down near Wollongong by a bull shark in a river a few months back.....cant see your 'expert' opinion cutting much ice with them.

If I started on the road accidents it would take for ever,,,,,,the facts are that’s on average one a year is killed by a shark in Australia, yiu are in no danger of swimming in Australian waters...get on with your life and get back in the water, the chances of you being that one a year over the whole coast of Australia are mind boggling...the statistics prove there is no danger but just the over sensational press and media.

You have more chance of being killed my a kangaroo than a shark.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
Then again...Let's put it in perspective, hey?

"AutoAccident Facts:

There were an estimated 6,420,000 cars involved in accidents in the US in 2005. The cost of these accidents exceeds 230+ Billion dollars. There were about 2.9 million injury cases and 42,636 car accident deaths. An average of 115 persons die each day in motor vehicle crashes in the United States -- one every 13 minutes. According to the World Health Organization about 3000 people die in crashes each day worldwide."

Cheers, Bobj.

Mmmm Car crashes in the U.S circa 2005 relates to Sharkattacks in Austrailia in 2009 how exactly??

Guest earlswood

You have much more chance of falling asleep in the bath and swallowing this shark and chocking to death than being killed in Australian waters.

150;100

Archived