What does a standard medical examination involve?

Guest Guest109904

Guest Guest109904

Hello

I was wondering what a medical examination (with no conditions) involves?

For example:

How long does it last? 10 mins? 1 hour?

Do you have to do anything like run on a treadmill?

How do they assess the part of the form which relates to all the complex medical areas (e.g. lymph)- the urine test?

Many thanks!

A standard permanent residency medical consists of

a general medical examination, stripped down to underwear, checking joints, ears, eyes.

Listening to heart, lungs, bowels.

Blood test for HIV.

Urine test for any anomalies, such as high glucose or blood content.

A chest X-ray for signs of TB scarring.

Duration of the exam varies but rarely takes anymore than an hour. For my family, (two adults, one child) we were in and out in less than an hour, but it was very quiet on the day.

Form filing in, wee in a cup, chest x-Ray, lots of chatting, strip to undies (gown provided), listened to my chest and back, looked in eyes and mouth, made me read some letters off a chart, took some blood....chatted loads more (I thought he was genuinely interested in me but husband said was to assess our state of mind haha)!!! That's it for me. I know some Drs are more thorough but that's roughly what to expect :) ...oh then pay!

• 2 weeks later...

Had my medical recently at Spire in Manchester. All pretty straightforward as described by the captain. Don't think too much to private nurses though....couldn't find vein in one arm and the other has left an almighty 4x2" bruise which is still there over a week later! Look like I've been assaulted! Sure you'll be fine though!

As above, took about an hour and a half mostly did to waiting between the different routines.

Was stripped down to underwear and the (female) doctor even had a quick peek inside, not sure whether that was necessary!

I was worried have I had a knee ligament reconstruction which prevented me from joining the RAF, but was fine and once in Oz met my English expat boss who had emigrated having had a leg removed. So I've no idea what they are looking for, probably just transmitable diseases.

• 3 weeks later...
A standard permanent residency medical consists of

a general medical examination, stripped down to underwear, checking joints, ears, eyes.

Listening to heart, lungs, bowels.

Blood test for HIV.

Urine test for any anomalies, such as high glucose or blood content.

A chest X-ray for signs of TB scarring.

Duration of the exam varies but rarely takes anymore than an hour. For my family, (two adults, one child) we were in and out in less than an hour, but it was very quiet on the day.

These have a lot of complex medical checking procedures.

Archived