Health and safety advisors HELP

Jamiemadden7

Hello.

im currently 26 and worked at the Teesside Steelworks (SSI) which I'm sure you will of seen in the news went into liquidation, I worked their for four years as a health and safety advisor and now looking at moving to Australia, could anyone give me a view on the work available etc how the certificates stand over oz.

ive completed my NEBOSH General certificate and currently doing the fire addition and oil and gas, looking at doing my NVQ 5 instead of the Diploma as I feel a NVQ will be more recognised abroad.

Ten a penny right now; there have been huge downsizes in the various industrial sectors with many of the HSE people being forced out of work, plus a few years ago it was in vogue, particularly here in QLD as the (then) legislation said you had to have an OHS officer for every workplace of more than 40 people, so here were many trained up (I am one of them).

We took one on recently, had about 200 applicants in the first week.

You won't get anywhere with overseas qualifications, you'll have to get them converted once over here, you will get recognition of prior learning for a component, but it's unlikely they'll swap them over without doing some extra units as you have to show you know the Australian legislation (which is in a funny state right now; they tried to introduce unified Federal legislation in 2011, except a couple of states refused to accept it and still function under their own. Plus there are some industries that come under that Federal laws in some states, but are exempt in others and have their own - mining is one of these).

I've yet to find anyone here who knows what NEBOSH is; there are a couple of users here who say it's helped them, but we advertise for tertiary qualfied people so it's completely irrelevant for our purposes.

You will have an advantage in having a heavy industry background if that's what you end up applying for; I personally would rather take on someone with a lesser qualification but an understanding of what they are looking at over a graduate with a good degree but zero experience, however, right now we can get hold of people with both degree qualification and lots of experience quite easily.

Your best bet would be to trawl the job adverts and get a handle on what the employers want, a quick look on Seek seems to indicate that you need a minimum of a diploma, but Tertiary qualification is preferred, plus a trainer / assessor ticket.

I haven't checked yet, I'm just completing my NVQ level 5 in health and safety before I do apply as I feel that would help my application a lot.

I have four years experience in a tier one COMAH site so as heavy industry goes it's pretty good experience to have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Eera. There are masses of them unemployed at the moment. With the downturn in resources, it is an easy area to target for lay offs.

We we recruited one about 4 months ago. A great guy who had 20 years experience and more quals than you could shake a stick at. He had been out of work for months. We have also now laid him off again.

looking at doing my NVQ 5 instead of the Diploma as I feel a NVQ will be more recognised abroad.

What you 'feel' and what is the reality are two different things. In my experience employers are looking for an Australian Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety as a minimum and they have no idea what an NVQ or NEBOSH are, unless they are a pom or have worked in the UK maybe.

You haven't checked out yet if you can get a visa but again 'feel' doing an NVQ 5 in H&S will help your application.

In my opinion you need to be checking facts regarding your eligibility for a visa before embarking on another qualification that may be a waste of time and money.

What you 'feel' and what is the reality are two different things. In my experience employers are looking for an Australian Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety as a minimum and they have no idea what an NVQ or NEBOSH are, unless they are a pom or have worked in the UK maybe.

You haven't checked out yet if you can get a visa but again 'feel' doing an NVQ 5 in H&S will help your application.

In my opinion you need to be checking facts regarding your eligibility for a visa before embarking on another qualification that may be a waste of time and money.

Thank you Jessica,

One of my hold backs is knowing the process of checking what qualifications are eligible, how would I go about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am also looking into emigrating for a role in Health and Safety. Very surprised that NEBOSH is not at all recognised especially with the vast amount of companies and projects in the middle east all insisting on NEBOSH quals, thought maybe Australia would be the same.

I used to run my own painting and decorating firm and was going to try to use that a few years back but decided to retrain in Health and Safety gaining a Masters Degree and 11 years experience in total. Are there particular states which are looking for Health and Safety professionals as it is on the SOL list.

Archived