Melbourne Vs Sydney

farry

Hi ,

I get to know that which of the city is most affordable? Sydney or Australia.Can nay one guide about the life style,residence,Job availability and other treats of the both Cities?

Well i have heard that Sydney is more costly as compared to Melbourne but more populated and have high availability of Jobs...

Hi ,

I get to know that which of the city is most affordable? Sydney or Australia.Can nay one guide about the life style,residence,Job availability and other treats of the both Cities?

Well i have heard that Sydney is more costly as compared to Melbourne but more populated and have high availability of Jobs...

Sydney is the most expensive city in Australia for housing (rental and purchase). Canberra is the next most expensive, and Melbourne is third. Otherwise, the cost of living is very similar. Both are big cities. Which one gives you more job opportunities depends on what kind of work you do.

I have lived in both and prefer Melbourne. As has been said its really where you can get work. Melbourne will be the largest city in Australia as its growing faster than any other. Don't think that is a good thing though. Since I have lived here we have got another couple of million people. Four million plus in Sydney, four million plus in Melbourne.

Sydney wages are higher because the costs are higher as a rule of thumb.

IME, Sydney is about 10% more expensive than Melbourne. More than that for housing (15%). Excluding housing, I actually find Perth about 20% more expensive than Sydney (cafes, restaurants, transport, entertainment, drinks etc). Salaries tend to be c. 10% higher in Sydney than Melbourne

I have never lived in Melbourne but visited lots of times. IME people are a bit more approachable and down to earth in Melbourne. There is a good vibe to the city and a bit more culture, it's quite like a European city, but then you have the weather - 4 seasons in 1 day, very hot in Summer and can get cold in winter. Sydney is all about the harbour and is beautiful. It has come on in recent times with the small bars. Generally quite pleasant weather all year around (15 to 32). Traffic is a nightmare and commuting can be a pain. In the right areas, it can be a great place to live and I love it.

Hope this helps

thanks alot about the Insight..I myself would like to move in Melbourn due to cost factor..what about the society?? can anyone share the rental situation/experiences for Melbourne? for now only two things are haunting me:

1- Job(How i will search Job)

2-Residence (How and from Where i will get information regarding Residence)

I prefer Melbourne...moved here just under two weeks ago...loads of rentals available for all budgets n much more for your money than in Sydney..we used realestate.au..I had job lined up before I came but husband didn't n he found work after couple of days of looking n there was lots of skilled and unskilled jobs to choose from...look on indeed, seek or sometimes gumtree..depends what your looking for I guess...weather is weird compared to other parts of au...have had all sorts since we got here...if you leave the house dressed for the 30 degree weather it is I would take a warm coat too as it seems to change so quick but that could just be me..I've been cold a lot here

I prefer Melbourne...moved here just under two weeks ago...loads of rentals available for all budgets n much more for your money than in Sydney..we used realestate.au..I had job lined up before I came but husband didn't n he found work after couple of days of looking n there was lots of skilled and unskilled jobs to choose from...look on indeed, seek or sometimes gumtree..depends what your looking for I guess...weather is weird compared to other parts of au...have had all sorts since we got here...if you leave the house dressed for the 30 degree weather it is I would take a warm coat too as it seems to change so quick but that could just be me..I've been cold a lot here

you are definitely lucky enough to secure job so early..i wish same for me :)