Perth move... and questions questions

mehdi80

Finally signed the contract and now the countdown begins for a move to Perth.

As a British expat living in Dubai for 8 years and earning tax-free, still not sure whether we're doing the right thing by moving to Perth... but money isn't everything and we're looking forward to a whole new chapter.

One of my many questions is... knowing that my company will pay for our shipping costs. Should we buy new furniture in Dubai and ship it to Perth? Or would that not be worth it? We have some decent furniture already... but I wouldnt mind a new bed and sofa/etc. Should we buy here and ship? or should we buy in Perth? I can get a decent bed-set here (with Mattress) for 2000AUD.

Are there any online retailers where I can check prices and compare them to here.

Thanks in advance....

Hi there , furniture here in Perth is rubbish. Good stuff is available but for a small fortune. There is also one obligatory colour"brown" dark brown or off brown. They also have the obligatory beer holder on the arms , good luck with the move

Hi there , furniture here in Perth is rubbish. Good stuff is available but for a small fortune. There is also one obligatory colour"brown" dark brown or off brown. They also have the obligatory beer holder on the arms , good luck with the move

Never understood the obsession with dark wood.

Finally signed the contract and now the countdown begins for a move to Perth.

As a British expat living in Dubai for 8 years and earning tax-free, still not sure whether we're doing the right thing by moving to Perth... but money isn't everything and we're looking forward to a whole new chapter.

One of my many questions is... knowing that my company will pay for our shipping costs. Should we buy new furniture in Dubai and ship it to Perth? Or would that not be worth it? We have some decent furniture already... but I wouldnt mind a new bed and sofa/etc. Should we buy here and ship? or should we buy in Perth? I can get a decent bed-set here (with Mattress) for 2000AUD.

Are there any online retailers where I can check prices and compare them to here.

Thanks in advance....

If they're paying, bring it. You can always give it to charity and buy a new one after you're settled.

Is there a particular reason you've chosen Perth? Not the best for employment prospects at the mo.

If they're paying, bring it. You can always give it to charity and buy a new one after you're settled.

Is there a particular reason you've chosen Perth? Not the best for employment prospects at the mo.

When moving with a job then location is probably due to the actually having a job in that place and the employment prospects in said place are somewhat irrelevant. I'm assuming the OP has a job in Perth or why would a company be paying for them to move there?

When moving with a job then location is probably due to the actually having a job in that place and the employment prospects in said place are somewhat irrelevant. I'm assuming the OP has a job in Perth or why would a company be paying for them to move there?

Not necessarily. When my ex had a contract in Africa, part of the deal was that the company paid to move our belongings to Africa at the beginning of the contract, and then back again at the end.

Like NicF said, I've alread landed a decent job there (despite the downturn that I head is happening). I think we're planning on shipping all our existing furniture there... but we also fancy buying a few new pieces like a bed, bar and stools, etc. Plenty of choice in Dubai as all international brands are here, but I hear I wont be spoilt for choice in Perth and prices would be more expensive? So.... should I buy new furniture here and ship?

Like NicF said, I've alread landed a decent job there (despite the downturn that I head is happening). I think we're planning on shipping all our existing furniture there... but we also fancy buying a few new pieces like a bed, bar and stools, etc. Plenty of choice in Dubai as all international brands are here, but I hear I wont be spoilt for choice in Perth and prices would be more expensive? So.... should I buy new furniture here and ship?

Again, if the company is paying the shipping and you fancy some new stuff, why on earth wouldn't you buy there and ship it? I would.

I think answer to your question is a resounding yes.

Archived