best way to take funds for working holiday visa? and travel insurance?

April23

Hi,

I am looking into getting a working holiday visa. As the requirements for this visa is to have a minimum of $5000 to take to Australia, what is the best way to take it/transer it to a bank there. I don't really want to take $5000 in cash as I find that is not safe. However, I probably will take some cash with me, but not that much. Do you think I should transfer my money from a UK bank to an Australian Bank? Im not sure which is the best/safest/easiest way is.

Or I was thinking to take the $5000 in cash and then open an account once I'm in Australia so that when I get a job, I have somewhere for wages to go into. But not sure that is safe.

Also, about getting travel insurance; obviously I would get cover for my journey to Australia, but is it best to get a one year cover with a company in UK, or do I also get insurance when I'm living there for health and medicine. As I'm not sure how the health care works over there. I have asthma, so I need to make sure I can get my inhalers when I run out.

Since you're from the UK you will get subsidised medical with a Medicare card which you can just go to the office with proof of address and passport and get. As for money I left the majority in my UK bank account, took a statement with me printed on the day to show proof of funds (was never asked for it) opened an account with ANZ before I got there and then when I got there went to branch to pick up my card and transferred the funds from my UK account to the AUS one.

I got one year of travel insurance in the UK before I went.

You also need to apply for your tax file number too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you're from the UK you will get subsidised medical with a Medicare card which you can just go to the office with proof of address and passport and get. As for money I left the majority in my UK bank account, took a statement with me printed on the day to show proof of funds (was never asked for it) opened an account with ANZ before I got there and then when I got there went to branch to pick up my card and transferred the funds from my UK account to the AUS one.

I got one year of travel insurance in the UK before I went.

You also need to apply for your tax file number too.

Thanks. For the Medicare card, which office do i get it from? Do i get it before I leave from UK or in Australia? Okay, yeah leaving the money in UK sounds better.

What is the tax file number for?

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixing quote

Tax file number is kind of like national insurance number, employers will need one.

There are Medicare offices all over Australia, you'd be best googling one once you know where you'll be staying for a few weeks and going in. They give you a temporary paper one and send you the actual one in the post, it can take a few weeks.

Tax file number is kind of like national insurance number, employers will need one.

There are Medicare offices all over Australia, you'd be best googling one once you know where you'll be staying for a few weeks and going in. They give you a temporary paper one and send you the actual one in the post, it can take a few weeks.

okay

Thank you

Hi, I went on a working holiday last year, but I wasn't asked to show funds.

As mentioned above, go to a Medicare office, there's many all over and apply for a Medicare number and card.

If you need health care while on your working holiday, make sure you go to places which are 'bulk billed'. If you go to places which are only private, Medicare may not cover the cost. Happened to me.

Hi, I went on a working holiday last year, but I wasn't asked to show funds.

As mentioned above, go to a Medicare office, there's many all over and apply for a Medicare number and card.

If you need health care while on your working holiday, make sure you go to places which are 'bulk billed'. If you go to places which are only private, Medicare may not cover the cost. Happened to me.

Hi, okay that's great, I'll make sure it's bulk billed. Thank you for the advice.

MoneyCorp waives the transfer fee for PomsInOz forum members. You can find a direct link in the navigation (orange) bar at the top of the page just under the PIO logo. If you have any questions, you can post them to John in the "Ask MoneyCorp" thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-transfer-ask-moneycorp/

Edited by MaggieMay24

I'd highly recommend NAB as the bank and also a company called tranzfers.com to send your money over, i've been a customer with both for many years and never once had a problem with them. Good luck with everything hope you have an awesome time in aussie :)

I'll take a look at NAB and the transfer site. Thank you

MoneyCorp waives the transfer fee for PomsInOz forum members. You can find a direct link in the navigation (orange) bar at the top of the page just under the PIO logo. If you have any questions, you can post them to John in the "Ask MoneyCorp" thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-transfer-ask-moneycorp/

thanks for the comment. I'll take a look at it