Coming to Melbourne next week - suggestions on what to do?

Chortlepuss

Hey there Victorians..... Treating my 21 year old to a 5 night mini break in Melbourne - staying at Southbank. It is my daughter's first trip to Melbourne as grown up...

We like comedy, theatre, arts, would like to try the odd (not too pricey) eatery as well and have a few glasses of wine.....

Going to St Kilda to see the penguins (hopefully they will be there). Went to Northcote last time I was there and loved it, so will pop up there on the Sunday...

Any suggestions from locals gratefully received :yes:

The State Parliament does free tours - worth looking into. Also, you can see Ned Kelly's armour free of charge in the State Library. Foodwise, you can eat inexpensively with pizza on Lygon Street (try Cafe Coretti), Ethiopian food in Footscray (try Ras Dashen), Vietnamese food on Victoria Street (try Ha Long Bay) or Lebanese food in Brunswick (try Tibas). If you are willing to pay more, I would absolutely recommend Mamasita for top quality Mexican food on Collins Street. For wineries, the Yarra Valley is great but you need to have a car and a designated driver who will use the spitoon - otherwise you'll be on a bus tour which will be long, expensive and ensure that every winery you see will be crowded.

Archived