Nedlands

Racmac

H

What can anyone tell me about Nedlands and immediate areas in terms of schooling and housing?

any info would be great.

It's one of the best addresses in Perth. Not cheap. Don't know the schools, but it's posh so I assume they're good.

Close to city, Uwa, kings park, not too far from posh beaches.

We lived in Nedlands. Our eldest went to Nedlands Primary a few years. Lovely school and obviously very well resourced from wealthy parents. All ths schools around are pretty good though, so whichever you're zoned for you'll be ok. There is quite a transient population from the university, but also many who have grown up there and are raising their children there too.

Nedlands is close to the river and the city and is a lovely area - green, tree lined streets and very green, but as others have said, a bit cliquey and we found there's a bit too much interest in money and what you have, rather than who you are. If you don't mind that (there are lots of normal people there too!) and want to be close to everything, it's ideal.

We didn't like the feeling that we were living in a bit of a goldfish bowl, so moved to Wembley eventually which fitted us much better.

We lived in Nedlands. Our eldest went to Nedlands Primary a few years. Lovely school and obviously very well resourced from wealthy parents. All ths schools around are pretty good though, so whichever you're zoned for you'll be ok. There is quite a transient population from the university, but also many who have grown up there and are raising their children there too.

Nedlands is close to the river and the city and is a lovely area - green, tree lined streets and very green, but as others have said, a bit cliquey and we found there's a bit too much interest in money and what you have, rather than who you are. If you don't mind that (there are lots of normal people there too!) and want to be close to everything, it's ideal.

We didn't like the feeling that we were living in a bit of a goldfish bowl, so moved to Wembley eventually which fitted us much better.

I would prefer wembly or Claremont as you say. Parts of nedlands can be studenty. I assume Steve's hotel is alive and we'll? Years since I've been there. Probably avoid that particular area.

]It's one of the best addresses in Perth. Not cheap[/color]. Don't know the schools' date=' but it's posh so I assume they're good.

Close to city, Uwa, kings park, not too far from posh beaches.[/quote']

Same old...Neddy and Dalkeith were snobsville in the 1960's

Cheers, Bobj.

Lived in Dalkeith, and have family there. Went to the (now no longer there) Hollywood Highschool, used to play at the tennis club too.

Great location, but very expensive. Due to the expensive nature, the local schools are very good. Christ Church I think is one of the best in the state (IIRC. My name was on the waiting list for a while).

I assume Steve's hotel is alive and we'll?

Had lunch there not long ago. Nice food and atmosphere. Apparently my Dad used to drink there when it was a student pub (in the 60's).

I have lived in Nedlands and I'd say ok. It takes in quite a substantial area so depends where you would prefer to camp. I was near the river, and rather student focused, although considering close to the uni, not as student focused as expected being used to European student towns.

The area is cliquey as has been noted, but not top dissimilar in that respect from most the western suburbs and other localities where well to do folk, all too often have a ticket on themselves.

There is a good bus service from along the high way, but no train station very close. Good arrear to cycle and access able to beach. River of course good to picnic.

No idea about schools. But a lot of private schools are not far away. Housing obviously is expensive. But older non refurbished housing can obviously be had cheaper and prices are wobbling at the moment in those areas.

I would likely agree with some others and if thought it off value prefer to live in Claremont (which I don't) than Nedlands. All these suburbs are in the blue ribbon belt so will be costly.

Lived in Dalkeith, and have family there. Went to the (now no longer there) Hollywood Highschool, used to play at the tennis club too.

Great location, but very expensive. Due to the expensive nature, the local schools are very good. Christ Church I think is one of the best in the state (IIRC. My name was on the waiting list for a while).

Had lunch there not long ago. Nice food and atmosphere. Apparently my Dad used to drink there when it was a student pub (in the 60's).

Hey, brother! I went there too, after I left Scotch. Long time ago though. It was a good school, I remember.

We lived in Nedlands (in Kingsway) and I can honestly say it was the best place we ever lived. We left there in the late 1990s for the UK and sold our house (which was a shame because property prices there have gone crazy). Anyway, we're heading back to Perth next year and would love to return to Nedlands but it may now be out of our budget. We'll see.

Our children went to the Nedlands primary school which was fine. There are top senior schools all around but some are private. If your children are lucky enough to get into UWA then that's on the doorstep.

I used to cycle/run to work in the CBD along the path by the river... When you compare commutes in NYC or London, it just doesn't get any better...

In the 90's thankyou. I'm not that old.

Archived