What's a good dog breed for us?

Petkula73

Hi - can anyone offer an opinion on this?

We're a family of three and thinking of getting a dog next Feb/March. I had a dog when I was growing up, so know what's involved, but its the first pet for my wife and daughter (who is 8). My wife works from home, so the dog won't be on it's own for long spells and we live close to the beach and parks for exercise. We also have an enclosed back yard.

A few requirements we have:

- needs to be low allergy (we don't suffer normally, but have both had a reaction to a friends Jack Russell)

- moderate amount of exercise would be ideal. Don't want a lump that lies on the floor all day, or something that needs to be walked for 6 hours a day

- medium size - don't like toy dogs or ones the size of horse

- low drooling

- good with kids

- easy going nature

- low maintenance

We've been told that various "oodles" make good pets, but I'm sceptical about puppy farms and the risks of congenital illnesses huge vet bills from producing too many dogs too quickly. We've read lots of reports about things like Labradoodles having hip dysplagia and other genetic problems.

We've thought about rescue dogs too, but I'm not entirely convinced we wouldn't end up with a basket case of a dog. Don't want to go through the trauma of having to return one that can't settle.

I quite like the idea of a Standard Poodle, although I really hate the stupid show dog clip that you often see on them. If they're clipped short all over they're nice looking dogs and seem to tick a lot of boxes for us. However, the 4-6 week clippings are a turn off, as is the brushing.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks

We're a family of three and thinking of getting a dog next Feb/March. I had a dog when I was growing up, so know what's involved, but its the first pet for my wife and daughter (who is 8). My wife works from home, so the dog won't be on it's own for long spells and we live close to the beach and parks for exercise. We also have an enclosed back yard.

- needs to be low allergy (we don't suffer normally, but have both had a reaction to a friends Jack Russell)

- moderate amount of exercise would be ideal. Don't want a lump that lies on the floor all day, or something that needs to be walked for 6 hours a day

- low drooling

- good with kids

- easy going nature

- low maintenance

We've been told that various "oodles" make good pets, but I'm sceptical about puppy farms and the risks of congenital illnesses huge vet bills from producing too many dogs too quickly. We've read lots of reports about things like Labradoodles having hip dysplagia and other genetic problems.

We've thought about rescue dogs too, but I'm not entirely convinced we wouldn't end up with a basket case of a dog. Don't want to go through the trauma of having to return one that can't settle.

I quite like the idea of a Standard Poodle, although I really hate the stupid show dog clip that you often see on them. If they're clipped short all over they're nice looking dogs and seem to tick a lot of boxes for us. However, the 4-6 week clippings are a turn off, as is the brushing.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks

I seem to meet with your requirements:embarrassed:

Rescued greyhound. Meets absolutely all your criteria AND you'd be saving a life. Rescue orgs will work with you to match a dog to your needs and all will have been pre-fostered and temperament assessed.

I can put you in touch with some reputable organisations in Victoria if you would like.

All organisations will offer 'home trials' too where if the dog doesn't work out for any reason, he/she can be returned to foster care.

Lots of smaller greyhounds, bitches usually but also dogs, I have one myself

Edited by HappyHeart

Rescued greyhound. Meets absolutely all your criteria AND you'd be saving a life. Rescue orgs will work with you to match a dog to your needs and all will have been pre-fostered and temperament assessed.

I can put you in touch with some reputable organisations in Victoria if you would like.

Very good suggestion!!!

I would get a rescue dog from the RSPCA or similar, you can see what you are going to get and they can tell you about the particular dog also as you say you can take them back if not fully suitable. with a puppy you can never be sure of its temperament at such an early age and you may then be stuck with it.

However any dog is better than a cat!

W e have a neighbour who has a rescue greyhound. She is 72 and got the greyhound when he was 3 years old. Honestly, they go out for strolls and amble along - no hurry - he never pulls and has such a gentle nature. Makes my little Harry look like a thug. Harry isn't terribly good with other dogs but he adores Scout the greyhound - best of pals.

W e have a neighbour who has a rescue greyhound. She is 72 and got the greyhound when he was 3 years old. Honestly, they go out for strolls and amble along - no hurry - he never pulls and has such a gentle nature. Makes my little Harry look like a thug. Harry isn't terribly good with other dogs but he adores Scout the greyhound - best of pals.

They are generally very placid, easy going, dogs. Walk well on lead. Do not need masses of exercise, contrary to popular belief, 1 30 min walk/run a day is enough. Very low shedding due to coat, very low allergen, immaculately fastidious about cleanliness and soooo easy to house train, most are already trained. Not usually clingy but love affection and soft couches beds if permitted. Not an outdoor dog. Not a rough play dog but some are more amenable to that than others. Sensitive, loyal. Stunning to look at. Conversation opener. Very low maintenance. My Dad commented, 'you wouldn't know you've got her' about our girl.

Whatever Keith. Cats are the best for low maintenance and a constant source of amusement.

low maintenance because they are just let out to wonder and crap in other peoples gardens or anywhere else they fancy and owners do not pick it up. True they are a constant source of amusement ........................especially in a small room! or when you are annoyed at something!

- low drooling

- good with kids

- easy going nature

- low maintenance

So, any suggestions?

Thanks

No dog is 100% allergy free. The crosses that are low allergy are popular but they are not without their issues. The oodle crosses are often quite high energy (very high energy many of them can be). And have coats that need regular grooming and clipping. And as you have discovered, often hip issues and other health problems. They may also slobber a bit when hot and running round. Any dog can do this, especially the ones with chops (think setters and the like more so but other breeds too). The hypoallergenic breeds very often require clipping regularly because of the breeds used to cross them with.

Can I ask what the reaction was you suffered being around a dog? And was the dog smooth or rough coated? And are you sure it was the dog? It can be people react with the dirt on the hair of the animal, orthe dander from it, not so much the animal's fur. Also depending on the level of reaction, it is also something that you can build up a tolerance to within a short time and so then suffer no real issues being around a dog (my son did this when we went a period of time without a dog but then got a new one, within a few weeks his low level intolerance was all good and he has no skin reactions now).

I'd say a standard poodle is a very good choice. But be aware they are a very intelligent breed, perhaps the most intelligent and can get bored if they don't have enough stimulation. Its not exercise solely, but they are often good at agility and other doggie games. They also are good for training and respond well to it. They do however require a fair amount of exercise each day, not just a one walk sort of dog. The coat clipping isn't as bad as you might think and there are plenty of options re style of clip. You don't have to have anything close to a fancy show clip thats for sure. A simple short even all over and a once over with a brush and you would be sorted.

All dogs, even short coats require grooming ;) Even the smoothest short coat could do with a decent brush when moulting and other times to keep them in condition.

In short, I doubt you'll find a perfect dog as per your wish list. Something will need some wiggle room and if you can get past the clipping and brushing (view it as a 5 minute every day thing and it soon hardly rates as a chore or taking up time, you just give them a once over out in the yard or when out walking) I do think a standard poodle would be hard to beat. Also good with older kids generally but I would be cautious with any dog around any child under 5 or 6 regardless. I'd be wary of separation anxiety in the breed if they are home a lot with your wife. Ensure the dog is used to being left on a regular basis.

Any dog who has someone home all day from when they arrive to you as a puppy is a risk of this if they don't get left on their own for a period of time on a regular basis. Older dogs from rescues can often cope better being left as they are used to it, but often you are not going to know this till you get them home and settle them in and start leaving them.

In short, I'd go talk to some breeders. Spend time with their dogs, see how you react allergy wise around them a few times. And then perhaps consider either an pup or a young dog a breeder is no longer keeping (ie not made it for showing or some such).

I'd rule out a greyhound if its a former racing one. I think they are gorgeous dogs but laws often mean its on leash exercise only and muzzled in public. Hardly the sort of dog you seem to be looking for. Around the house they can be couch potatoes and are lovely but the coats will shed and if allergies are an issue, you may struggle with the breed. Depends on how the dog sheds and how you react.

I'd rule out a whippet, they are often too sensitive to cope well with kids. Also they can be high maintenance and not cope well with heat. They are also quite flighty (so many times whippets flee when out for a walk) and its rare for them to have great recall or really be trained as you might want. Also they are companionship dogs and bitches will often struggle on their own and prefer to have another whippet around to keep them company. Also again, coat shedding etc will happen.

A good rescue dog can be found IMHO. If you are prepared to take however many months looking and not let your heart rule your head. I used to foster for a number of rescues and had no end of breeds and X breeds staying with us. Some for a couple of weeks, some 6 months plus, but they all found their forever homes. I'd suggest avoiding the rescues that keep their dogs mostly in kennels and look round for local smaller recues that keep their dogs in foster homes, assess them in the home etc and that you can go visit in a home setting, take out, spend time with and so on. Let the rescue know what sort of dog you are looking for. Our current dog is a rescue and has proved to be a total star. Took me 5 months of looking to find him but we did and he's been fab. 2 years old, able to be left, easy exercise in that a good walk once a day and a couple of short bursts out to chase a ball and run round and he is happy. Low maintenance, great with kids. He barks a bit at stuff but other than that, can't really fault him. Oh, he likes to dig holes in the garden :rolleyes:

ETA - Are you intending on the dog being a in house pet or live outside (ie spend most of its home life in the backyard?). I ask this as if you want an outside dog, then a breed like a standard poodle would not be a good idea IMHO. They need far more contact and interection with people and so on than a dog kept in a back yard will get. I am a person who does not keep family pets outside and only our working famr dogs have been kenneled at the end of each day. But they had company of other dogs and were in the farm boot room when it was cold in winter.

Edited by Guest
typo

cocker spaniel!

Lovely pup Harpo :)

But this is where I'd say to the OP to be careful. Certain colours of the breed are known for having total meltdowns and becoming aggresive. More so the show lines over the working. Another thing breeders have to answer for it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_syndrome

Edited by Guest
edited

However any dog is better than a cat!

All 3 of my cats have vehemently rejected that assertion. They point out - quite rightly it seems to me - that they don't require walking and are sophisticated enough to deal with their own poo. So there! :tongue: