is two weeks long

is two weeks long enough

hi all we are moving to melbourne in march 2009 , wont be able to do a reccie trip , and we plan to rent for 6 months when we get there , i am planning to stay at a hotel/motel for two weeks till we find a rental ,

so is two weeks long enough for us to find a rental and get all the stuff sorted to be able to move in , i have never rented anything before ,

thanks

Guest Pingpongpom

..Hi:smile:..well i don't know about Melbourne and the rentals there, but in Perth my brother has said to allow at least 4-6 weeks to find somewhere..we haven't lived over in Perth for a few years and i know the rental market has changed alot since we did..all the best with your future plans..

Tess:cute:

Guest adey

I'd say longer as well it took us a while to find the rental we wanted as there is a lot on the market but a lot of people chasing them as well. We were in short term for about 6 weeks and found the perfect house after a lot of looking around.

I'd be trying a holiday let rather than a motel if you can find one. Split the difference and try for a month. I think once you have found yourself a place, the actual move in can be quite quick but the trick is to get in ahead of all the other folk who will be clamouring for the same property.

Guest Pinhead

Get on the internet before you go and try and arrange some viewings or meetings for when you arrive.

If the EAs are any good they'll give you some feedback / advice that may help regarding how long you need to stay in temporary accomodation.

When I lived in Melbourne in 2004 I was fortunate to find an apartment the 1st weekday I was there and moved in a week after I arrived in Oz. I arranged the viewing a few days before my flight.

If you book longer temporary accomodation make sure you can get a partial refund if want to move into your new place sooner.

Guest mandy1

HI

I would allow at least 4-6 weeks as you will need to have a look at a few places and there can be quite a few people applying for a property. If you've never rented before I would try and get as much money together as poss so if necessary you can offer rent in advance.

Mandy x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
thanks really good advice :notworthy:, will have a look about at holiday lets ,and work out timescales for us

I would recommend around 4-5 weeks. You would be better in a furnished short term holiday let rather than being stuck in a hotel room. Which area are you looking at, we have a short term rental 8mins from Melbourne CBD 2 mins from the public transport, we also have a property at the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula which is central for all the South East Suburbs.

hi we are looking at either frankston area or point cook , i will take a look at your web site , the more i think about it the more i think it will take longer than two weeks .

thanks

Hi

We stated in 2 holiday lets as inFeb it gets busy and booked late, One advantage of hol lets you can get references off the hol let landlord and this will be an advvantage as i have experienced rental agents and a lot of other organisations dont give two hoots for any uk refs and docs

malx

aka Billy 1 M

Guest Pinhead
hi we are looking at either frankston area or point cook , i will take a look at your web site , the more i think about it the more i think it will take longer than two weeks .

thanks

Where I used to work (Tabcorp) they referred to the people who lived in Frankston as 'Ferral'..... it's not a favourable term!

Guest mandamoose

Hi,

What area of Melbourne are you planning to move to?

I have a fully furnished 2 bedroom townhouse (In Berwick) with pool and gym in a gated complex available.

If you would like further details please forward your email address and I will send photos etc.

Thanks

Amanda

Archived