How did you choose which city to move to...

lucyk

Great to hear everyone's stories, thanks. My great uncle moved to Queensland in the 60s and we have distant relatives and friends in Melbourne and Sydney. Otherwise no other ties in Australia. I am from Betws y Coed in North Wales and my OH is Albanian- living in Enfield North London. It's crazy expensive here- 2 bed flats have increased £100k in a few months to approx £330k in our area. We both miss having the great outdoors on our doorsteps but there are no suitable jobs paying enough in either Wales or Albania. If we could earn $25 an hour in Snowdonia I would move back tomorrow! We have 3 kids aged 2,4 and 6 and my poor husband spends 3/4 of his life in work and the other 1/4 in traffic on the dreaded A406.

Having outright dismissed it at first, our favourite city is Perth now. This is based on a combination of house prices, weather, family friendliness and what we have heard from friends about jobs in the vehicle body repair industry. Our neighbour is a retired policeman and his family are in Perth. He said not to waste any more time thinking about moving and just go for it

Highest temp in Hobart was 41C

Highest in Mackay was 39C:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

High mean monthly max Hobart....21.7 (January)

High mean monthly max Mackay....30.2 (Dec).

If we get another stinker day we'll send Paul up the mountain...always 10/11 degrees cooler on top. :laugh:

We had friends in Brisbane but visited the Sunshine coast on our reccie - it appealed to us . We lived there a few years and then moved down to Brisbane for better work opportunities. Lived in North Brisbane - love it - easy to visit the city but still lots of greenery around and close to beaches and Sunshine and Gold coast. The weather is wonderful - yes Jan/Feb can be a bit hot but then you can't expect perfection all year! Its a great city for older kids too - loads to do.

We came to Perth 25 years ago as all my family had already emigrated here, so it was a no-brainer really. We had wonderful support and it helped us settle very quickly. In the past 25 years I have travelled all around Australia, and whilst there are so many lovely places, I still call Perth home. I am not a big city person, except for a holiday, so Perth suits me. My son now lives and works in Queensland and I spend time with him and love the Gold Coast and the hinterland area, but coming back to Perth is best.

Archived