Pakenham Area of Victoria

kaiapoilady

• 4 weeks later...

I went there while on holiday as my brother in law brought a new build. Nice enough house but the house expansion is huge. The entire section behind him and to the side zoned for new houses. The view gone. On a positive note I guess if you buy in the main part of town this is not such a concern. My own view is this is pretty bad town planning. With the railway crossing present I would dread to think what traffic will be like in 5-10 years time, but then I am a Londoner and can see the future!

No-one can really help as we all have different ideas of what is a good place to live and what is not.

Pakenham is a dormitory suburb for most people i e its affordable, the land is bigger than inner areas and there is a train line to the city. For others its home because they work in the area and like it.

Its flat and a growth area and I a myself hate the whole area from Dandenong to Pakenham not because the houses are awful or any other reason than there is way too much traffic every time you leave the house.

To live in Pakenham you would need two cars, not just in Pakenham anywhere above 10 km from the city two cars are essential. This is because even though there is transport none of it seems to link up so it takes quite a while to get around.

Personally I would look in older areas further out because they have all the services in place, a cross section of the community which means there is not such pressure on kindergarten and schools, doctors etc. Also good internet cover which can be patchy in new areas or further out areas.

My friends live in Cranbourne West and there is reasonable house prices there and its closer to the older suburbs like Carrum, Langwarrin, central Cranbourne and Dandenong so it has all the services, only problem 2 cars again.

Yep the new builds are eye candy but they don't talk to us or keep us company. A lot of people in the outer areas both work and no-one is around during the day.

Make a list of budget, what is needed, what you want, and what is non negotiabile and see what you come up with.

My friends have bought in Cranbourne West and its a reasonably priced area, close to old areas like Carrum and Carrum Downs, Skye, Langwarrin, Cranbourne Central areas which already have services. Easy to get on the freeways etc not far from the beach.

Thanks everyone,

Hubby and myself went to Pakenham at the weekend and DID NOT like the area at all, even if the prices are cheaper there not for me at all. We don't have a massive budget under 500k AUD, maybe we just have to get a smaller house but in a better area, I hate the word compromise but that's life isn't it. I do like the hills area of Emerald, Cockatoo but worried about bush fires and stuff. Been through the massive earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand and that just knocked the stuffing out of me and made me very nervous of insurance companies too.

We had a drive out to the Mornington Peninsular did like it but not sure about time frame my hubby getting to the airport etc??

Bloody hell..Flipping nightmare

Look at Gisbourne lovely area and just 1/2 from the airport. Use http://www.whereis.com/directions it will give you route and time from any suburb to any other suburb, use melbourne airport your destination.

You can key in one suburb and click search it gives you just the suburb and on the left you can click on all sorts of things like medical centers and it will come up on the map. Use directions for directions and time from one suburb to another.

Use realestate.com for houses should get something nice for under $500,000 http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/between-0-500000-in-gisborne%2c+vic+3437%3b/list-1?activeSort=list-date

Archived