good suburbs for a family emigrating to perth?

lauraj1988

Hi,

Looking to come over to Perth family of four two children 7 and 3 years just wondered what suburb you are from trying get some info as were taking the plunge and not coming over beforehand so if anyone could take time out to let me know about the surburb you live in and how you find it? be very much appreciated xx

Perth is very spread out and each area has different things that are important to some but not others. For example, I live a long way from Perth CBD. But it suits us.

I would first look at where you are likely to work.

Then go through how far you are happy to commute.

Then what is important, such as beach, land, school.

Then obviously budget.

What lifestyle do you envisage? What do you enjoy? Where will you be working? Perth's traffic can be heavy at times, so if you see the kids playing on the beach in the morning and the river in the afternoon (when the beach is too hot and windy) then that's going to put you in a very different suburb than if your priority is a big bungalow house in the suburbs with a backyard pool, or easy access to the CBD etc. Perhaps you are not a beach person and you like the idea of Perth's hills, with its beautiful bushland and mountain biking trails. Are there other things that are important to you - for example being able to join a soccer team (a fantastic way to meet friends). If you are planning to rent then you can try out a few suburbs, in theory, but once your kids are settled in a school and you start making friends, you'll find moving more difficult (as so many of my friends have discovered, and ended up in suburbs that they didn't love but were near kids new buddies).

Where is your work going to be? And what type of work is it?

Most office jobs are in the CBD, with a lot of industrial work out near the airport.

But there is a mixture scattered about in other suburbs.

I'd generally want to be close-ish to where the opportunities are.

As getting across the river can be slow. And from the CBD heading east can be slow.

Then work out what you want housing wise. A big 4x2 on a big block, or a 3 bed apartment in the city?

Here are a few examples of where I've lived around the Metro area :-

Mt Nasura - Big houses, quiet, Armadale had a bad rep, takes ages to get anywhere.

Bibra Lake - Suburbia, some nice areas, but fairly commutable to the city. Average size houses.

Dalkeith - Posh, expensive, very easy to the city, beach and river. Some small older houses, some absolute monstrosities.

Bayswater - Some areas are run down, quick into the city, ages to get to a beach. Average size houses.

Scarborough - Near the freeway and city, some nice areas, beach in walking distance, smaller houses.

Burswood - Apartments and town houses. Great location for city and airport, but a lot of construction work going on.

Hi,

Thank you all for getting back to me ;-) my husband is a carpenter and I work within accounts/ admin but am willing to try whatever comes my way and flexiable around my kids etc. Renting wise looking for a 3bedroom and yes prefrebbly with a pool as we have two water babies! love be close to the beach etc my son plays rugby he loves it my little girl sings and dances haha typical girl, I love find good school for them and take into account be close perth city as this is where the jobs are? I understand cheaper to rent in the south etc? but north is closer to CDB? So maybe for us we should head NOR? so we closer opportunites I don't really fancy a really long commute to work from SOU as I have school runs to consider.. so a good surburb in NOR close to the beach, family friendly rent not sky high and manageable..

Its very difficult to advise to be honest if you haven't got a job yet. I'd say in your circumstances to book a holiday let fairly central , then make a decision on suburbs when you arrive after you've had a good look around. If you already had jobs it makes the decision easier of course as commute is a big part. Be aware that part time admin jobs here are actually as rare as hens teeth, too many partners here wanting them. Nor or Sor will really just come down to personal tastes, I don't think either is better or worse than the other for commute.

I second that, initially, get as central as possible to town as the further out the less there is and you will find you have to drive to get a train or a pint of milk etc, the more central the move convenience and things to do but that comes at a price..... North is full of Brits and South Africans, too many for me. South is good but in all these areas you have to watch out as some areas are predominantly one nationality

to be honest that's where my experience is but i am free to try anything! I also have my own business here as a princess party entertainer!! so maybe could print some cards and bring it out to oz, hand out to the school mums I meet ;-) but that will be on the side. I just need apply for something that suits school hours had a look on seek and there quite a lot part time/ flexible jobs etc we are going to save save save here so we are financially secure my husband is a carpenter by trade do any you know what the industry is like for tradies at the mo he is a jack of all trades fits bathrooms, kitchens etc we also have friends out there who could get him jobs within the mines but I don't know if we want him go off 3 weeks at time whilst we adjust and settle into new life. We have been looking at safety bay and secret harbour south wise or Duncraig/ Padbury nor? I suppose it will come down to when we get there as we be staying friends to begin to explore and deicide where we want to settle...

Before we arrived I was adamant that we would live beach side somewhere between Secret Harbour and Mandurah. In reality once we arrived and did the drive from these areas to the CBD we changed our minds pretty quickly. We had a holiday let in Secret Harbour which was lovely and I couldn't not fault the area but now live in Atwell. We are around 25 mins from beach, airport and CBD with excellent transport links and never take the car to the city. Coming from the country I didn't think I could live in such a busy area but away from the freeway and shopping areas (Cockurn centre) it is really peaceful and quiet with lovely parks.

you really need to wait until you get here to decide.

to be honest that's where my experience is but i am free to try anything! I also have my own business here as a princess party entertainer!! so maybe could print some cards and bring it out to oz, hand out to the school mums I meet ;-) but that will be on the side. I just need apply for something that suits school hours had a look on seek and there quite a lot part time/ flexible jobs etc we are going to save save save here so we are financially secure my husband is a carpenter by trade do any you know what the industry is like for tradies at the mo he is a jack of all trades fits bathrooms, kitchens etc we also have friends out there who could get him jobs within the mines but I don't know if we want him go off 3 weeks at time whilst we adjust and settle into new life. We have been looking at safety bay and secret harbour south wise or Duncraig/ Padbury nor? I suppose it will come down to when we get there as we be staying friends to begin to explore and deicide where we want to settle...

Peoples business cards usually contain their ABN (registered business number), I wouldn't advise you to promote a business without one.

Our suburb was chosen because of where I was working as initially my job included shifts. I worked in Armadale (now Gosnells) and wanted no longer than a 30 min commute, my hubby drew the short straw as his work base is in Malaga, although he doesn't have to go back to base that often and his work takes him from Dunsborough to Yanchep.

A lot of expats seem to settle in the Duncraig / Padbury area and are very happy. Schools are certainly better there than Secret Harbour area.

Guest Guest66881

What's your budget for housing, personally i would rent or holiday let first to try different areas for size. That's what we did and we ended up more or less where we wanted to be.

Lot's of areas offer different things, go nearer to the coast line and you obviously pay more, same with the CBD usually smaller homes and higher costs to be had, but with the 'downturn' you might get a bargain.

My advise would be to holiday let then look for rentals in areas you reckie, get a car you will need one ASAP - Good luck on the adventure.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Looking to come over to Perth family of four two children 7 and 3 years just wondered what suburb you are from trying get some info as were taking the plunge and not coming over beforehand so if anyone could take time out to let me know about the surburb you live in and how you find it? be very much appreciated xx

Hi Laura, when are you looking to move? We have a 3 year old too, a girl. We are looking at living in Dalkeith but we have friends there already who live in Quinns Rocks. What job will your husband be doing?

Be nice to meet up when we both move! xx

Archived