containers

davidholly

hi everyone

me and my partner are looking to move over next year (around this time)

and we are thinking about taking some of our stuff over to save on buying it over there as most of our stuff is newish

we live in the north of england and was wondering if anyone new a good company to get quotes off to move to brisbane?

wouldnt be much just sofa, bed,etc

thanks

hi everyone

and we are thinking about taking some of our stuff over to save on buying it over there as most of our stuff is newish

we live in the north of england and was wondering if anyone new a good company to get quotes off to move to brisbane?

If it's not much, then you may be best to look at Movecube. A container is a huge thing and if you can't fill it, you can get part of a shared container - but that usually means longer delays (waiting for the other people to be ready to go), more risk of things getting lost (because they get mixed up with the other family's stuff), etc.

If you're taking a sofa and bed you'll need a large Movecube - measure up to see if they'll fit first of course! One tip - you'll be surprised how much little things cost. So fill up the Movecube with as much as you can squeeze in. The best approach is to get the measurements of the Movecube, clear a corner of your floor and mark out the measurements, then do a trial pack.

hi everyone

thanks

If the movecube isn't big enough, then any of the international shippers will be fine, they will all move you from the north of England to Brisbane. Pickfords, Crown, Anglo Pacific, Doree Bonner, John Mason etc etc.

I note you are at very early stages from your other thread so I wouldn't be bothering getting those quotes now, they will only expire and you will have to get them again.

sofa, bed etc.... that isn't too specific to know if a movecube would be of us.

A movecube coould be good but they won't fit much if you are trying to get a mattress, frame, sofa and other items of furniture in. The large size is a decent size but it ain't a 20ft container.

I'd list what you want to take, including personal effects and all your usual household stuff and see if you can work out cubic feet of this. Then see what size the largest movecube is and if it might fit. You may have to get creative on packing it and feel confident its not going to fall about in transit and get damaged. You can't have it loosely packed to move around. Its a self pack/unpack and you only get a few hours to load it.

We used a movecube but didn't ship a lot of furniture as for us it was clothes, bedding, kitchen stuff, kids toys, books etc we were more concerned with. We did ship out KS bed and frame, a chair we dismantled, a flat pack wardrobe, set of small drawers and a blanket box. And 30 or so boxes. We'd possibly have gotten a sofa in but that would have cost us quite a lot of room for boxes (8 or so). We packed all our boxes well in advance, worked out how much room these would take, marked out the space on the floor of a room and did a dummy run. We were at the end of it on the day still 4 boxes over because of how we had to stack things round the furniture so we had to ship those on their own. I also whittled the box contents right down and we dispensed with many books and a few other items I had hoped to ship.

consider the amount of time you will be without the furniture once you arrive in Aus. What would you do in the meantime?

it was just to get a rough estimate on how much it would cost to ship things over, prices always change from time to time, really it was just to get an estimate to how much it would be for everything before we started shelling out any cash.

we would have to buy stuff over there as dont want to take everything so in the meantime we would buy whatever we needed to get by til we got on our feet properly. but really we just wanted to take sofa and chair, bed with matress (frame comes apart) and maybe our 6ft fish tank (if allowed we not sure yet, would be empty and clean). thats about it really few boxes of clothes.

Hey David & Holly,

I brought some stuff over in 2011 from Dublin to Sydney. I think I had about 1/2 a container and from memory I think it cost E2,000-E2,500 (euros) at the time (may be cheaper from the UK as the volumes are greater)

In that I had a Queen sized bed & mattress (frame taken apart). A really big couch (nearly 10 foot long), 2 armchairs, coffee table, decent size buffet (about 6 foot long, 1 and bit wide and 31/2 high), a bedroom chair. 4-5 large boxes of stuff, bike, golf clubs, Snowboard bag. A few large bags of clothes etc. Think that was it. They came to the house to collect and packed everything up, included packing materials. Delivered to an address in Sydney (which i supplied later as I didn't know where i'd be living). Took about 12 weeks. On that trip I used Careline. On a previous relocation, I used Allied Pickfords and found them great to deal with.

Hope this helps

Col

it was just to get a rough estimate on how much it would cost to ship things over, prices always change from time to time, really it was just to get an estimate to how much it would be for everything before we started shelling out any cash.

we would have to buy stuff over there as dont want to take everything so in the meantime we would buy whatever we needed to get by til we got on our feet properly. but really we just wanted to take sofa and chair, bed with matress (frame comes apart) and maybe our 6ft fish tank (if allowed we not sure yet, would be empty and clean). thats about it really few boxes of clothes.

Its hard to say because a shared container is going to vary from one person to the next, depending on how much they ship. Also shippers prices will vary a little. You need to get them in to quote you nearer the time for a figure. A sole use 20ft container would be easier to give a price guide, altough they also vary a bit between shippers.

A MoveCube comes in 3 sizes. You can check them online and give them a call for pricing etc. Also if they operate in your area and will deliver to where you are going. They were always very efficient when I spoke with them on the phone.

I'd factor in a couple of thousand to be on the safe side. A large Movecube cost us less than £1300 all up (2 years ago) but you may require more space than that so would be looking at groupage or a MoveCube plus shipping of extra boxes.

Archived