Handing your notice in

Danny842003

When you give notice in Australia (NSW specifically) are you covered in the same way as the UK. But that I mean once you hand over that piece of paper saying you give notice they cant just kick you out on your arse and your left not getting paid for a few weeks.

Of course that will not happen, a notice period is a notice period..

You've obviously had some decent employers if you don't believe that goes on.

I have had just normal employers that abide by law. I assumed when you said "are you covered" that you were asking about the law not about whether employers break the law. My bad.

Depending on the roles people were in when they resigned I have told them to leave immediately however I was required (both ethically and legally) to pay out the notice period along with any unused leave and including leave which would have been accrued during the notice period.

If your employer does otherwise you should contact Fair Work Aust and let them sort it out.

They do have to pay you any holidays owing & for any hours worked before you leave but do not expect them to honor your notice. I gave my 2 wks notice in at an old job a few yrs back & was told to finish the day & not bother coming back :/

Well of course they do not have to make you work the notice, but they have to pay it.

Got told not to come in tomorrow as I kind of expected. Trying not to honour the notice despite it being in black and white on the first page of the contract. They have an external company who is going to call me tomorrow after arguing with the national manager on the phone.

I'd get it in writing (not verbal) that they don't want you in tomorrow.

If they won't write it, go in anyway.