Divorce and international property settlement.....

Coops13

Evening all....

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of, not so much completing an international divorce, as I know that is pretty straight forward. My query relates more to the property settlement.

One party is UK based and the other is Aus based and there are properties in both UK and Aus. I am trying to get my head around whether I should try and do it in Australia but from what I've read, an Australian court order in relation to property overseas can be difficult to enforce.

I will of course get legal advice but this is part of own due diligence before hand.

Thanks in advance.

Not expecting anyone to answer the question in detail but it's always good to be in touch with people that have been through the process themselves. I'm tired of learning from my own mistakes and forums are great for sharing the experience we all gain from a broader pool of experience.

Cheers

I'm sure if you are wealthy enough to have so many properties you should not hesitate to engage the appropriate professional advice from a solicitor.

Wow....aren't you the ray of sunshine this morning. I would have thought that doing your own due diligence around a topic gaining a better understanding before you progress down such an expensive route is surely common sense.

If you have nothing better to contribute parleycross I would suggest you say nothing.:wink:

Don't have an answer for you but want to point out that you also need good tax advice from someone who is familiar with both UK and Australian Tax laws. Lawyers rarely know all the tax ramifications which can end up being a bigger sum than legal fees.

Best divorces are the ones without any lawyers - they just take money from both of you. If you are still on good terms - get tax advice, work out a plan and see if you still need a lawyer - in that order.

Archived