Mobile phone contracts

benj1980

My iPhone has nearly had it, but was thinking of getting a new phone when I arrive in Oz next month anyway. As a newbie in the country I'm wondering if I'd actually be able to get a mobile phone contract. I am currently with Vodaphone but don't suppose that means anything with Vodaphone Australia!

Vodafone uk and Vodafone Oz are different so you can't do anything about that (I tried).

We we managed to get a contract for pay monthly as soon as we got here. Unlimited texts, calls (including international calls) and 3gb data a month. You'll need to shop around a bit - not sure what is the best at the moment. it is a 24 month contract, but I'm not worried about changing my phone when something new comes out - my iPhone 5 is fine and in a year I'll just upgrade to whatever is about then.

we didnt have any problems, and nor did the wife who is currently unemployed.

brought our handsets with us, and opted for optus $50pm sim only - gave us unlimited minutes, texts (including international), 300 international minutes and 8gb data per month.

Worked well for us, and the international minutes have been golden.

I would get a prepaid card to start off. Vodafone is s**t in some parts of the country. There are only 3 networks here:

1) Telstra - Excellent but the most expensive

2) Optus - Next best thing

3) Vodafone - Cheap, can work great depending on the area

All others are virtual operators and piggy back on those 3 networks.