Chartered accountant

russab2000

The stats haven't been announced officially yet but I look on another forum (don't think I can say the name) and going by people posting on it noone with 65 points got an invite. That suggests they reduced the invites hugely.

Makes sense as the whole point of pro rata is so people with high points applying right at the end can still get in.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I am preparing the documents that I need for my CPA skills assessment. What do I need to get from ICAEW? Specifically, what do I need the letter from them to say?

Thanks!

Just tell ICAEW what the letter is for. They've written enough of these to know exactly what it needs to say.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received my letter back from ICAEW and got the required results for English, so the next thing would be the skills assessment.

Which is better for skills and experience assessment - ICAA or CPA?

What information/evidence do they need?

So far I have my ICAEW letter, and 2 certificates for ICAEW (ACA in maiden name and FCA in married name)

Degree certificate and university transcript (in unrelated subject)

What do they need in terms of evidence for experience and employer's references etc? Any tips on what to say to the employer?!

Thanks!

I used CPA (as recommended by migration agent) but was only using my degree in Accounting and Finance as I wasn't fully qualified. I would expect that since ICAA have a reciprocal membership arrangement with ICEAW they would be your best bet though.

For work experience I had my CV and references plus 3 payslips from every year (luckily I keep such things). For my then current job the agent said I could write my own reference and have it notorised by a solicitor to avoid telling my boss my plans. Pressumably that backed up with the payslips was sufficient proof.

I have received my letter back from ICAEW and got the required results for English, so the next thing would be the skills assessment.

Which is better for skills and experience assessment - ICAA or CPA?

What information/evidence do they need?

So far I have my ICAEW letter, and 2 certificates for ICAEW (ACA in maiden name and FCA in married name)

Degree certificate and university transcript (in unrelated subject)

What do they need in terms of evidence for experience and employer's references etc? Any tips on what to say to the employer?!

Thanks!

I used the ICAA due to their agreement with the ICAEW, very easy 2 page form. Email that with a few supporting documents, such as, letter of good standing, certificate and exam pass details. Got it all back in about 10 days.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I used CPA (as recommended by migration agent) but was only using my degree in Accounting and Finance as I wasn't fully qualified. I would expect that since ICAA have a reciprocal membership arrangement with ICEAW they would be your best bet though.

For work experience I had my CV and references plus 3 payslips from every year (luckily I keep such things). For my then current job the agent said I could write my own reference and have it notorised by a solicitor to avoid telling my boss my plans. Pressumably that backed up with the payslips was sufficient proof.

Thank you, I have a friend who is a solicitor and onhand for doing that for me :-).

I have a variety of payslips, P60s and my contract. I've been with my current employer for over 10 years so it would just be for that job. Did you have to prove that your experience was relevant? Or was that obvious from your job title? Maybe I just need to write my CV so that it highlights the relevant parts that ICAA are looking for?

A migration agent told me that they needed a signed letter or email from my boss to say that I have experience in each of the 8 (or so) areas that are mentioned on the skills definition.

I used the ICAA due to their agreement with the ICAEW, very easy 2 page form. Email that with a few supporting documents, such as, letter of good standing, certificate and exam pass details. Got it all back in about 10 days.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks russab2000, did they just assess you for qualification or experience as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know, when they are assessing skills do they take it from the point of admission as a member of the accounting body or from the point of exam completion.

The reason I ask is that I passed all my ICAEW exams in august but being rather lazy only got my paper work in place the following January for to be admitted as a full member.

So this will mean a 6 month difference between getting 70 points

Thanks

I thought I was ready to submit my skills assessment this evening, but ICAA website says... required...

Letter of good standing (original colour scan copy) - this letter must be obtained from your accounting body and state that you are a full current member in good standing. It should be dated within three (3) months of the application received date. (ICAEW members can obtain the required letter from the Professional Conduct Directorate)

ICAEW no longer provide a letter of good standing, so I only have a basic letter confirming that I am a member. Who is this Professional Conduct Directorate that they are referring to, and how do I contact him??

So now I am wondering if I should go with CPA as they don't ask for this. Will there be anything that CPA require that ICAA don't?

I asked ACCA for this and they sent it no problem. I needed it for CPA assessment as I had only just passed my final exam so didn't have my certificate through yet. I'm surprised ICAEW don't provide this - considering what you pay them each year for the privilege !!

Hopefully someone else can advise you if it would be successful without the letter of good standing.....or if they have been able to get it from ICAEW or ICAS.....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I thought I was ready to submit my skills assessment this evening, but ICAA website says... required...

Letter of good standing (original colour scan copy) - this letter must be obtained from your accounting body and state that you are a full current member in good standing. It should be dated within three (3) months of the application received date. (ICAEW members can obtain the required letter from the Professional Conduct Directorate)

ICAEW no longer provide a letter of good standing, so I only have a basic letter confirming that I am a member. Who is this Professional Conduct Directorate that they are referring to, and how do I contact him??

So now I am wondering if I should go with CPA as they don't ask for this. Will there be anything that CPA require that ICAA don't?

Google or just search on the ICAEW website for the Professional Conduct Directorate. I found the information in two seconds flat with Google. Cannot post link as on mobile.

In regards to the date from which they consider your experience relevant - in my case, CPA took the date I completed my last course to satisfy the 9 out 12 courses required, not the date when I got my certificate.

About the letter of good standing - CPA has an example of what information should be included, and because the standard letter issued by my organization was not providing all of the information, I asked them to modify the standard letter and include all the information that was needed and they were happy to do so.

Yes, I had a degree from university. In the end, CPA Australia, recognized that I have two bachelor degrees - one from university and one from the professional association.

I guess, if you do not have a degree, then they will consider the date that you obtained the certificate.