Moving cat - can they board in UK?

Chortlepuss

Info here:

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

And if you can't travel within 5 days:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/balai-directive-moving-live-animals-semen-and-embryos

The latter looks a bit complicated and primarily aimed at people who are shipping animals for business, but it does cover the situation if you can't travel within 5 days.

Why can't they stay with you n Australia until you fly? We had to move into a holiday rental for a couple of weeks before we moved and found one we could take our cat to. Or if that's impossible then why not board them in Australia - we spent a night at Perth airport then a stopover in KL and our cat flew two days after us so that she arrived in Heathrow the morning after us and we had a few hours sleep and then took her home :)

All of the pet transport companies we contacted could board her in Australia through arrangements with catteries but we chose one that actually was a cattery too as we felt more comfortable with that as we could visit and new exactly where she was. The restrictions weren't in place when we flew but I felt the flight was probably the most traumatic part and I wanted to pick her up as soon after as possible.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

It is deifnitely much easier to board them in Australia and pick them up in the UK as soon as they land. I am surprised to learn that there is a way around the five day rule, when we moved in January (it was brand new rule then I think), the pet removalist was adamant that we should ensure we fly within five days.

We put the cats in to board for the final few days in Australia, just to keep them out of the way because of the moving process, packing and doors being open all the time.

After a previous stint overseas, we did sent cats on ahead and we organised for Airpets to pick them up, complete the immigrwtion process and then board them for a few days until we got home. But it was quite hard to get that organised, some service providers didn't want to do the collection and boarding process. They seem to favour the board and ship process.

Looks like I may board in Oz then. For some reason, I thought it would be easier in the UK. I do have the option of my cat staying at my daughter's whilst we are in temporary accommodation but I think as it will not be for too long ( 1 week) maybe better to board for a week than get settled in a temporary home. My cat is so nervous - am really worried about the flight.

Thanks for all your replies.

I am leaving Adelaide on October 28th. (hurray!) and originally my Airedale terrier and Siamese cat were returning on the same plane but circumstances have arisen which make it impossible for all 3 of us to land at Heathrow on the same day so they both fly out 2 weeks later than me. It is going to cost an extra $149.00 but it is worth it. If I haven't managed to find anywhere to rent, then they will be boarded at kennels at Heathrow arranged by Petraveller who are handling their move back home from here.

I am leaving Adelaide on October 28th. (hurray!) and originally my Airedale terrier and Siamese cat were returning on the same plane but circumstances have arisen which make it impossible for all 3 of us to land at Heathrow on the same day so they both fly out 2 weeks later than me. It is going to cost an extra $149.00 but it is worth it. If I haven't managed to find anywhere to rent, then they will be boarded at kennels at Heathrow arranged by Petraveller who are handling their move back home from here.

So sounds like you have got round the 5 day rule......I'll be looking up Petraveller - Thanks

So sounds like you have got round the 5 day rule......I'll be looking up Petraveller - Thanks

I have never heard of the 5 day rule, an urban myth maybe? Here is Petraveller's website: http://www.petraveller.com.au/

Lenny Thomas is the man who I am in communication with and he has been terrific from the beginning. When I was researching for pet transport companies, I emailed over 9 companies and Petravellers was the first to reply and in fact I only got 4 replies in total; obviously the others don't need the business, hahaha.:confused: