sale of uk property

andromeda9

any answers to help out there?

due to health not good,feel hesitent on going back to the uk for a while

we have a house, a rental property we wish to sell in the UK, we have an interesed buyer

is it possible to do the deal of the sale when myself a permanent resident in OZ, and the potential buyer living in the UK

deal done via solicitors

cheers any advise would be great :unsure:

Guest guest30085

Hi Andromeda

I sold my house whilst in Oz, in fact the offer came the day I flew out!

I arranged everything via email, although admittedly my selling agent is attached to a solicitors practice so it made it easier.

I only had to courier one document as it had to be an original.

All fairly straightforward, good luck with the sale :-)

I recommend also discussing executing a General Power of Attorney with your solicitor in the UK so s/he can sign documents on your behalf while you are in Australia.

Best regards.

Andromeda9, making a power of attorney is a very good idea and very easy to organise without a solicitor. This website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/lasting-power-of-attorney-forms

explains everything very well. Fee is £110 from recollection to register your P of A, but you don't need a solicitor involved unless your situation is complicated. Takes a while to put into place. Again, from recollection, I think ours took about 10 weeks to complete and register.

Oops misread your post Alan - I see that it was your intention that the solicitor is the P of A. My only concern with this would be that they charge for drawing the doc and then signing. On the other hand, at least you have someone wholly reliable (in principle) to sign on your behalf.

Oops misread your post Alan - I see that it was your intention that the solicitor is the P of A. My only concern with this would be that they charge for drawing the doc and then signing. On the other hand, at least you have someone wholly reliable (in principle) to sign on your behalf.

With a solicitor usually involved with the conveyancing process I anticipate it will expedite matters to have the same person involved if a PoA is executed in his/her favour.

Agreed there will be a fee to pay - but hopefully not too much given the time required to finalise documents should be reduced.

Best regards.

Was just this minute listening to my husband say he wasn't happy at anyone acting as POA ,had agents that went into liquidation with several thousand pounds from our rental income, loose faith with anyone, he was so charming,should really be a lesson learnt,bare in mind what you have advised. Thanks

Was just this minute listening to my husband say he wasn't happy at anyone acting as POA ,had agents that went into liquidation with several thousand pounds from our rental income, loose faith with anyone, he was so charming,should really be a lesson learnt,bare in mind what you have advised. Thanks

Well I think if you not happy then don't do it. There is absolutely no need for PoA.

Would I be correct in thinking that the capital gain is from the profit of the property from when you left the UK as long as you have been a permanent resident in Australia for five years plus not from the original buying price

I am not sure if this question was aimed at me? If so, I'm really not sure. We got our PR last year and sold our properties soon afterwards. It is all a bit complicated as one we bought to renovate and sell and went into negative equity, the other we lived in until we left in 2009. I have always done our taxes ourselves even living here and renting out in the UK, but this was a step too far for me, hence employing GMTax for this one. Alan especially has always been really helpful with advice on here so I figured we would be in good hands.

We are nearing the end of this process, due to complete in a week! It has not been as straightforward as we hoped - we gave my mother in law POA before we left, same solicitor as the one handling the conveyancing, but no one can find any trace of this being executed. I have the receipt and hope to have this refunded, as we had to take a day out of our USA holiday and courier the disposition document which cost about $100 AU grrr, and today have to fork out more to have ID certified.

Other issues include tenants having prepayment meters installed and debiting crazy amounts, so they keep cutting off electricity and gas!! Nice to be paying the tenants' debts off :-( at least the buyers can get these meters removed, we couldn't as we have no recent UK credit history.

Can't wait to get rid!!