moving to darwin in 3 months

Deeney4

Hello everyone

I have just moved to Darwin, I have been here for one week!! I have been in Adelaide for 4 years before I moved up here. I am originally form Oxford, I moved here in 2011. I would love to meet up with any families especially people from the UK. I have made no connections up here so far as I have not started work yet and I spend most of my days at home as I have a 2 year old boy. I am living in Leanyer it's about 3kms from Casuarina. I am keen to start building up a network or even start up an expat mums group etc as I think we all need some support being so far from friends and family in the UK!!

One thing I want to say is that Darwin truly is beautiful, the lifestyle on offer here is relaxed and the general population are so friendly. It's great for kids... so much to see and do.

Hope to catch up with some or all of you moving out here when you arrive :)

PM me if you want my mobile number!

Charlene

Hi we have just moved to Darwin been here a week now.... we are in Alawa not too far from you.... once we are alittle bit more settled and not running around like a mad chicken maybe meet up at Casuarina for coffee and a chat

Jenny

Wow thats brilliant so pleased for you and your family x whats it all like x what school do they go? Have they made friends easily x im itchin to get out there cant wait x thanks for taking the time to let us know how your getting on x

Hiya the girls love their new school and have settled in really well have made friends easily (school only has 187 kids in it). We are all loving the Darwin life but would recommend getting a place with a pool (its helped with the kids to adjust to the heat). Im sure you will love it here x

• 2 weeks later...
is the mosquitos they are eating me alive

Make an appointment with a local naturopath (or chat to one at a local health food store) and start taking a high strength Vitamin B supplement daily.

They will take about six weeks to start working to full potential, but after that, the mozzies will leave you alone if you continue to take daily. They also have the added bonus for women of stopping period pains.

Cannot remember if it is B1, B6 or B12 or maybe it was a combined complex. Either way it was a high strength potent one and I think I took 2 - 4 a day. Worked like a dream. Went from mozzie magnet to never being bothered again.

In the meantime, buy some: http://www.mortein.com.au/products/auto-plugins/odourless-mozzie-zapper/

And get a bottle of Oil of Oregano in case you get bitten.

• 2 weeks later...
And get a bottle of Oil of Oregano in case you get bitten.

There are loads of brands around but this is the brand I use: http://solutions4health.com.au/

Most people take it in water via mouth to protect their immune systems in winter against flu. I reckon they are insane because the taste is literally mind-blowing in taste. I use it on my toothbrush to prevent gum problems and have used it on toothache - and that is bad enough!

Anyway it works magnificently well on removing ticks or afterwards on tick bites. And also on mozzie bites: http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/oil-of-oregano-as-insect-repellant-and-bites.html

I use to dab 100% essential Lavender Oil directly on bites and that works very well - but the Oil of Oregano works better in regards to stopping itch and preventing infection.

Hello Callie :)

I have been in Darwin for about 6 weeks. Would love to meet up!! I have a three year old boy. Would love to get a good group of us all together and a community going to all help eachother out. PM me if you want to exchange numbers and we can arrange a meet up when you arrive. Deeney4 and I have been chatting lots, she is really great and she is heading out end of November with her boys too. Looks like we have a good opportunity to create a strong network with all of these families arriving together. I live in Leanyer....but to be honest every where seems close here as traffic is easy no stress even at rush hour times!

Charlene x

Hi NT Buddies :)

So we arrived about a week ago and the treadmill to organisation hasn't stopped or slowed!!

Could someone give me the address of where we go to change our licences please? Have been online but I just find

myself reading stuffs I don't need to know! Lol! And I'm not even blonde anymore! Hahaha

Hello Callie :)

I have been in Darwin for about 6 weeks. Would love to meet up!! I have a three year old boy. Would love to get a good group of us all together and a community going to all help eachother out. PM me if you want to exchange numbers and we can arrange a meet up when you arrive. Deeney4 and I have been chatting lots, she is really great and she is heading out end of November with her boys too. Looks like we have a good opportunity to create a strong network with all of these families arriving together. I live in Leanyer....but to be honest every where seems close here as traffic is easy no stress even at rush hour times!

Charlene x

Hi Charlene

We have been here about a week now and we would love to be part of your little group!

We have four children 9,10,11 & 14! But all still young and playful! :)

We are currently staying in Coconut Grove

look forward to hearing from you

Becki X

Hi NT Buddies :)

So we arrived about a week ago and the treadmill to organisation hasn't stopped or slowed!!

Could someone give me the address of where we go to change our licences please?

You can drive on your UK licence for a year, so I suggest getting on with all the other million things you have to do, and worry about that later!

You can drive on your UK licence for a year, so I suggest getting on with all the other million things you have to do, and worry about that later!

Thank you for your response but I'm trying to purchase a car n the dealer said we need a NT licence before it can be registered!! :0/

I hope you guys are keeping all this information handy for when we arrive! It would be a fab idea if someone could put all that info on a sheet for newbies arriving, such as name address phone no and web address of places like where to get tax file number, centrelink, driving licence changed, and all the other stuff you need? Also a good place to buy new and second hand cars would be handy. It's always good to have recommended places to go to. Any thoughts?

Callie x

Thank you for your response but I'm trying to purchase a car n the dealer said we need a NT licence before it can be registered!! :0/

That didn't seem right to me, as I know of backpackers who've bought an old banger to drive around in - but each state has its own little quirks. I just checked and NT requires you to change your driving licence within 3 months which is a bit rough IMO.

I hope you guys are keeping all this information handy for when we arrive! It would be a fab idea if someone could put all that info on a sheet for newbies arriving, such as name address phone no and web address of places like where to get tax file number, centrelink, driving licence changed, and all the other stuff you need? Also a good place to buy new and second hand cars would be handy. It's always good to have recommended places to go to. Any thoughts?

Callie x

Happy to share all I have learnt so far with you! Just ask Xx

found driving licence place today called MVR on Goyder Road just a case of filling a form, payment and handing in the UK licence Xx

My biggest advice buy a big fold out map it's great shows u where to find shops schools etc and u get ur bearing better n quicker Xx Apply for tax number online if no postal address can use post office should be delivered within 28 days Xx or go to centrelines which is on Knuckey Street n use there computer if wifi is pants like ours! ;)

lots of big car dealers Toyota Kia Mazda etc some have second hand cars all depends on what you want to spend Xx

if you can't find answer n stuck don't be afraid to ask people lots of what we know we just asked locals they have all so far been more than happy to help Xx sat sorting bank accounts with the bank manager picking his brain on areas not to live! Ha :))

advice with where not to go karama, Malak, the Narrows, Bayveiw has nightmare with Mozzies and in Palmerston moulden, some parts of Grey.....pretty sure this will be continued! LolAlso sorting a rental has been so much easier than we thought n feared too although it is very expensive Xx

feel free to keep asking

Deeny4 u too need to read this it has ur list ! Lol

Becki Xx

Edited by BeckiBoo

That didn't seem right to me, as I know of backpackers who've bought an old banger to drive around in - but each state has its own little quirks. I just checked and NT requires you to change your driving licence within 3 months which is a bit rough IMO.

Think it's a NT thing but we have bought two cars from two different dealers n they both asked for NT licence but at the same time the more we get done now the less there will be for later! ;)

Good morning Everyone! :)

im back again to pick at ur brains! ;) I have now secured an address and am desperate to get my kids into school before they break up again for yet another summer! GULP!

What is the best way to approach the school? Telephone, email or go in?

What is involved? What do I need? Can the school make the decision to allow my children in?

I look forward to hearing from you

Many many thanks

Becki :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm not a Pommy; just a Canadian :)

I'm being transferred with my company to our Darwin office in February and am very excited! I was in Darwin this past February and loved what I saw. I'm just looking for some info on reliable resources for rental units (preferably fully furnished). I'm also anxious to get involved in the community and meet locals. Any ideas on those kinds of options?

Cheers, and I look forward to living in your fine city soon!

• Like 1

Well, I'm not a Pommy; just a Canadian :)

I'm being transferred with my company to our Darwin office in February and am very excited! I was in Darwin this past February and loved what I saw. I'm just looking for some info on reliable resources for rental units (preferably fully furnished). I'm also anxious to get involved in the community and meet locals. Any ideas on those kinds of options?

Cheers, and I look forward to living in your fine city soon!

Hi There :)

heres some local real estate agents u could check out!

http://www.eldersdarwin.com.au

http://www.completerealestatent.com.au

http://www.proffessionalsdarwin.com.au

have a peek at them, they are popular ones here, there's lots on offer

n the market is in ur favour so price are negotiable.

hope that helps

Hi There :)

heres some local real estate agents u could check out!

www.eldersdarwin.com.au

www.completerealestatent.com.au

www.proffessionalsdarwin.com.au

have a peek at them, they are popular ones here, there's lots on offer

n the market is in ur favour so price are negotiable.

hope that helps

Awesome. Thanks a bunch! I've been told that the rental market is softening, so it looks like I'll coming in at a great time!

Can't wait to get there!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am planning to relocate to Darwin in February 15. But I have one daughter which will be in 7. So I am worried about public schools in Darwin. Some people says it is not good as we have in other major cities. Is it true....? Plz guide me, because I am so worried about education of my daughter.

Hi everyone, I am planning to relocate to Darwin in February 15. But I have one daughter which will be in 7. So I am worried about public schools in Darwin. Some people says it is not good as we have in other major cities. Is it true....? Plz guide me, because I am so worried about education of my daughter.

Hi

We got here about a month ago and just enrolled my three boys into Wanguri primary school two weeks ago.

the school itself is nice but there are a lot of kids that are from rubbish lives

there are some unruly kids but that's in any school. Alcoholism is a massive problem up here so that has a knock on effect.

my boys have happily gone to school, enjoyed their day, want to participate in extra curriculum. They got buddies on their first day and their friendship group has grown everyday.

They come home and tell me what they did that day, their class sizes are 17 kids!

I too have a few concerns but more towards the next school (middle n high)

not sure if I helped at all