"The end of Australia" ........

Guest xmas lights

Not good news for anyone , those coming( jobs). those who live here and invested a lot both monetary and mentally. And those who are leaving due to the low Australian dollar exchange rate.like the article says oz never succumbed to the GFC but now with interest rates low and china not buying commodities from oz at the rate they was, and job losses every week in the construction and manufacturing sector their is little room for manoeuvre.

We're always several years behind Europe. Europe is coming out of financial hardship and so will we- in 4-5 years time. I would not emigrate just now because there will be a culture of blame and newcomers will be fair game. I predict that many of the 457 visas will disappear in an effort to appease people- and so they should.

We're always several years behind Europe. Europe is coming out of financial hardship and so will we- in 4-5 years time. I would not emigrate just now because there will be a culture of blame and newcomers will be fair game. I predict that many of the 457 visas will disappear in an effort to appease people- and so they should.

A bit harsh,without 457's no one will pick the fruit or do the cheap manual labour jobs.its all thanks to Whv's and 457's visas that are keeping the economy going because they don't cost the country nothing.more so they add to it.But yes I do agree their could be some resentment in the population wrongly thinking that jobs are being taken in the current climate.

And I fear it won't just be newcomers here. It could be anyone with a distinct accent different to the populace which with being here 8 yrs and having a broad northern English accent I might be ( fair game) as you put it. My kids are alright though they've lost their pommy accent much to my oldest daughters dislike.

And to be honest I don't give a #%*^ what people might think of me being here taking their jobs.i just look at it like they ( employer) couldn't find anyone better.:wink:

A bit harsh,without 457's no one will pick the fruit or do the cheap manual labour jobs.its all thanks to Whv's and 457's visas that are keeping the economy going because they don't cost the country nothing.more so they add to it.But yes I do agree their could be some resentment in the population wrongly thinking that jobs are being taken in the current climate.

You can not come on a 457 to do cheap manual labour jobs - a 457 still must have a skill on the SOL or CSOL.

The issue with 457's is that they are clearly being used now to get people at rates lower than the market rate. I have seen a lot of posts on here from Brits being offered jobs in sectors that have an over supply of locals but the rate being offered is a lot lower than normal. That damages the economy as it drives wages down too much

AS it goes Back packers pluck the fruit. Cheap manual jobs can certainly be done by Australia's numerous unemployed. It should not be a measure to keep costs down by not training locals. Resentment will indeed continue to brew if the present liberties continue on numerous fronts.

Employers ( not all)have 457 visa holders over a barrel.you can be on the skilled list that doesn't mean unscrupulous employers won't use you to every advantage they have.

But I agree its wrong to be undercutting locals wages for the sake of profits by hiring/ sponsoring a 457. But unfortunately its the way of the world and it will be Australia's Achilles heel.

AS it goes Back packers pluck the fruit. Cheap manual jobs can certainly be done by Australia's numerous unemployed. It should not be a measure to keep costs down by not training locals. Resentment will indeed continue to brew if the present liberties continue on numerous fronts.

They can be done by Australians unemployed but a lot won't.like alot of Europeans won't clean the streets or toilets or dig a trench or so on and so on

Guest xmas lights
You can not come on a 457 to do cheap manual labour jobs - a 457 still must have a skill on the SOL or CSOL.

The issue with 457's is that they are clearly being used now to get people at rates lower than the market rate. I have seen a lot of posts on here from Brits being offered jobs in sectors that have an over supply of locals but the rate being offered is a lot lower than normal. That damages the economy as it drives wages down too much

Welcome to the new world verystormy, it's called 'the race to the bottom'...

They can be done by Australians unemployed but a lot won't.like alot of Europeans won't clean the streets or toilets or dig a trench or so on and so on

So alleged. The truth being many of the fruit farms are remote. The truth also is a number of Australians do actually do it. Truth being in Europe folk would likely do if it often rip off rates ensured it was more often newcomers than longer staying or native born. Best to be wary of right wing media accusations. They seldom reveal the whole story.

Archived