Travelling advice for the parents?

localboy

Hello all,

With the help of this forum, I have successfully moved to Australia and am now happily living and working under my 457 Visa. My parents are visiting Australia in February next year and whilst quite far off, I am helping them build a route/journey whilst they are here.

They are keen on Queensland and are looking at 10-12 days from Byron Bay to Cairns. I am looking at the usual routes, to include Airlie Beach and Whitsundays, but does anybody else have any advice or experience in a bit of a road trip in this area? My main concern is the amount of driving and whilst some driving is necessary, if it can be limited at all that'd be great.

Any help gratefully received- my knowledge of QLD is limited but super keen to learn more!

Thanks again,

localboy

Can they cope with heat and humidity? 'cause they're going to get it in spades that time of year. Driving is really not too much of an issue; there are large towns every three or four hours up the coast and smaller one between so plenty of opportunities for rest. The only real issue is the Bruce Highway is shocking once you get past the Sunshine Coast; single lane with the occasional overtaking lane every now and again, and plenty of potholes - the state government think QLD ceases to exist north of Noosa so we get crap investment but Brisbane gets some really nice tunnels (ongoing bitterness there, sorry). That time of year the Grey Nomads are all down south so not clogging up the roads with their enormous caravans. What are they into? there are some really nice areas if you venture inland a little bit, plenty of gorges and national parks, off the top of my head I'll list Carnarvon Gorge, Longreach, Winton, Bladensberg National Park, Mt Etna Caves, Mt Morgan mine, Eungella, Cape Hillsborough and Mission Beach, but I like rocks so find those areas fascinating; people who want pretty villages and tea parties or banging raves wouldn't.

In terms of time driving; 12 days is plenty for the route; my in laws drive up from Melbourne to Mackay every year, and they take 5 days to do that at a really leisurely pace.

Not the best idea.

QLD east Coast including Cairns and Whitsundays will be in marine stinger season until roughly April and it will be high heat/UV and high humidity.

Your parents would be better better spending time in NSW/VIC or TAS at this time of year.

Guest The Pom Queen

I do agree with the other posters, up here is the hottest time in February, you have humidity, rain and maybe cyclones. The Bruce often gets flooded so prepare to be stranded.

I wouldn't do it that time of year, there is potential for floods and severe rainfall as well as the heat and humidity. Also I think that is quite a lot of ground to cover in 12 days and they might not get much time to unwind and relax in any one place. If they definitely want to visit those places, I would suggest hopping up the coast on short flights.

Why ar they coming in February anyway out of interest? Gosh if there were one month in the year I would choose not to be in Australia, then it would have to be February!

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately February is the only time my parents can visit due to work commitments/my work commitments. Based on the feedback above, the itinerary has been changed, with less time in QLD and a focus on flying between places rather than driving.

The new itinerary, is looking as follows (ish);

4 nights Sydney

2 nights Blue Mountains

FLY: SYD-MEL

3 nights Melbourne

2 nights Apollo Bay & Port Fairy

FLY: MEL-BRIS

3 nights Byron Bay

FLY: BRIS-CAIRNS.

4 nights Port Douglas

3 nights Daintree

FLY: CAIRNS-SYD

Does that look a bit more realistic? Any comments on the locations- are there better places close by etc?

Thank you all again for your help :)

Not the best idea.

QLD east Coast including Cairns and Whitsundays will be in marine stinger season until roughly April and it will be high heat/UV and high humidity.

Your parents would be better better spending time in NSW/VIC or TAS at this time of year.

That would be the same Vic containing Melbourne where I got sun burnt in about 10 mins due to a complete lack of ozone. QLD at least has better protection from the sun although agreed, humidity will be through the roof.

S

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately February is the only time my parents can visit due to work commitments/my work commitments. Based on the feedback above, the itinerary has been changed, with less time in QLD and a focus on flying between places rather than driving.

4 nights Sydney

2 nights Blue Mountains

3 nights Melbourne

3 nights Byron Bay

4 nights Port Douglas

3 nights Daintree

I'm a Sydneysider but I wouldn't waste my time in the Blue Mountains. Australians are proud of them but compared to European mountains or the Lake District or Scotland they're nothing special, and there's not a lot of wildlife to see. On a limited trip I wouldn't even bother. Sydney is beautiful because of the harbour: four days is plenty to see it.

Melbourne is a lovely city but again, I can't see there's enough there to justify flying all the way down there. If you've seen Durdle Door,the Great Ocean Road is the same!

Given that they really want to go northwards, I'd suggest hiring a car and driving up the coast from Sydney, they could stop off at the Hunter Valley wineries, Port Stephens for the dolphins and sand dunes, and a few other stops up to Byron Bay.

Although it's hot in February, driving in New South Wales is fine if you have an air-conditioned car. The concern for Queensland is that it's cyclone season, and the further north they go the higher the risk - do they really need to go all the way to Cairns or could they go to the more southerly islands?

That would be the same Vic containing Melbourne where I got sun burnt in about 10 mins due to a complete lack of ozone. QLD at least has better protection from the sun although agreed, humidity will be through the roof.

S

what utter rubbish! You need to take precautions anywhere in Australia in the Summer.

Guest The Pom Queen

4 nights Sydney

2 nights Blue Mountains

3 nights Melbourne

3 nights Byron Bay

4 nights Port Douglas

3 nights Daintree

Does that look a bit more realistic? Any comments on the locations- are there better places close by etc?

Thank you all again for your help :)

I think it sounds perfect.

• 1 month later...
I'm a Sydneysider but I wouldn't waste my time in the Blue Mountains. Australians are proud of them but compared to European mountains or the Lake District or Scotland they're nothing special

Whilst I agree that compared to European mountains, the Lake District or Scotland, they are nothing that special. But they are still nice. And the blue haze on a warm day along Bells Line of Road under the towering ferns whilst listening to the bellbirds is magical.

Katoomba is the pits. But Leura is a gorgeous little village and so is Mount Wilson.

And The Three Sisters is a really nice walk.

Last walk I did was started in Katoomba, walked down The Three Sisters to the valley floor. Then along the ridge to the Scenic Railway and took the train back up the mountain.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/walking-tracks/echo-point-to-scenic-world-via-giant-stairway

The grading says hard, but it was really easy. My friend actually wore flip flops to do it in (not recommended!)

Archived