The emotional roller coaster of emigrating - how did you feel?

aconcannon

I just wanted to be on a plane and on my way tbh. It seemed to drag a bit and we had a big leaving BBQ 3 weeks before we were due to fly out and then son went to stay with my parents the last weekend so we could finish off in the house, clean it, take stuff to the dump etc. Then we spent the Sunday with my parents, had a lovely lunch out, gave them a hug and didn't look back. Flew out 2 days later from Heathrow with no one to see us off (our preference) and no fuss.

Been here almost 2 years now and have not felt homesick once. Not really missed anyone either. Sure it'd be nice to have a catch up with some friends but I've made friends here, we have a good life and we are happy living in the here and now, not hankering after what was or what we left behind. A visit back to the UK has confirmed the fact my life is here now. I arrived there and within 10 days could not wait to be able to head home. I was counting down the days :cute: Didn't for one second think how lovely it would be to be living back there or anything.

I've read on numerous posts how some migrants found/find it hard to make friends. I found it to be no problem at all. In fact the first very good friend was one I met on the plane coming over here! We have remained very good pals for 34 years. Most of the close friends I have, I met through work. I have also made lovely friends here in Tasmania.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't have too much of an issue leaving the first time but had more of an issue after our recent visit back. For some reason most of the OH's family had got it into their heads that we weren't going for good and when we made the trip back for a family wedding they'd got it into their heads we were planning our move back. At no point had we ever given them the opinion that it was anything other than permanent. But at the wedding there was proper surprise that we weren't coming back. Madness really as we'd been nothing but positive about how happy we were. Still can't understand where that came from and when we came back it felt like we were letting them all down all over again. It's put me off going back for a visit again I can tell you.