Looking at moving over - dont know anyone

I'm currently looking at coming over to Australia, just deciding if i should hold out trying to get permenant visa or come over and do a year or 2 whilst looking for work, would love to get to know some people who could possibly help me out abit.

Totally unsure where to start off so any advice would be great! ( 26 year old male )

Do you qualify for a permanent visa? Do you know if your occupation is one that has been on the skilled occupation lists for a long time? If it is, then maybe you can take your chances with a working holiday visa to try things out.

Have you ever been to Australia on a WHV (working holiday visa)? If not, I suggest you do that first. It's very difficult to get a visa to live in Australia permanently and who knows, you might never qualify - but you CAN get a working holiday visa easily at your age. So take the opportunity now, before you get too old to apply.

A year or two in Oz now means you'll have a much better idea what you're coming to, if you do migrate, and you may make some good contacts too. Some people think that if you come on a WHV you have to do bartending or fruit picking, but many people just continue doing their normal occupation - which means you get an idea of what working permanently would be like.

Edited by Marisawright

Have you ever been to Australia on a WHV (working holiday visa)? If not, I suggest you do that first. It's very difficult to get a visa to live in Australia permanently and who knows, you might never qualify - but you CAN get a working holiday visa easily at your age. So take the opportunity now, before you get too old to apply.

A year or two in Oz now means you'll have a much better idea what you're coming to, if you do migrate, and you may make some good contacts too. Some people think that if you come on a WHV you have to do bartending or fruit picking, but many people just continue doing their normal occupation - which means you get an idea of what working permanently would be like.

I'm thinking that it's my best bet too in a way, the job I do is on the SOL but I don't believe I actually have the correct qualifications, although I'm sitting a course in the next month which I think may.

Sorry I'm a little uncertain about some things... If I was to come over on a WHV and I'm not on the skilled occupation list, would I still have the chance to move permanently? Or is it if your not on that list then you can't move over?

Sorry I'm a little uncertain about some things... If I was to come over on a WHV and I'm not on the skilled occupation list, would I still have the chance to move permanently? Or is it if your not on that list then you can't move over?

If you come over on a WHV, then you go home again at the end of that time (either one or two years). Then you decide whether to apply to migrate. At that time, if you're not on the skilled occupation list, then you can't move over. And be aware that it's not just the qualifications you need, you need several years' work experience too.

( 26 year old male )

You had better hurry up. I think 27 is the cut off for a WHV. May have been extended to 30. Either way you are nearing that time.

I suggesting coming over on a WHV. Travel around. Work if you want or need to. See if you like the place etc....

You may even be able to find a sponsor whilst you are here. I know of a guy that came over on a WHV and his employer (recruitment agency) liked him so much, they sponsored him to move here permanently.

Don't depress me! I turned 25 this year. Already got people acting like I should have a mortgage, husband and popping out babies :laugh:

Not my intention to depress. Simply saying get your arse into gear otherwise you (Jamie) may miss the opportunity if you (Jamie) misses the age cut-off point for a WHV.

And yes I got those types of comments / expectations too from the ages of 18 - 25. And it ONLY stopped when I changed my blabbering explanations to a simple sterner reply.

Q: So when are you going to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (find yourself a boyfriend, get married, have babies, stop this travel nonsense, blah blah blah)

A: I will do it about the same time that you learn to mind your own business

Harsh yes. But it worked and the questions stopped.

I spent my 21st birthday in Australia on a WHV having the most amazing year of my life, and when I got back to the UK, a "friend" sat me down and gave me a lecture - something along the lines of:

I needed to stop this travel nonsense. If I didn't find a husband soon, I would be left on the shelf as no-one would want used goods. And I would end up a sad old maiden with no-one to love me, as men didn't like independent women etc.....

Needless to say I took myself off on another overseas trip pretty urgently soon after. Not quite the reaction she had in mind me thinks :laugh:

That's what I'll start saying to people too then lol. One of my bosses told me I was too old to go travelling and have a baby/get married or some sort of career. Some people are so old fashioned lol. I agree with you though - I personally feel im at an age that if I don't go over the now then I probably wouldn't ever, other than a 3 week holiday

I'm currently looking at coming over to Australia, just deciding if i should hold out trying to get permenant visa or come over and do a year or 2 whilst looking for work, would love to get to know some people who could possibly help me out abit.

Totally unsure where to start off so any advice would be great! ( 26 year old male )

I have never been to Australia and I move to Melbourne at the end of the month on a 457 visa. I think its best to get what visa is available to you and get over there if you want to give it a shot, then think about getting residency whilst there if you want to stay or look into extending your visa. There is a few options at 26 years old

There are tax advantages to *not* having PR. All your worldwide income becomes taxable in Australia once you have it, so income from UK investments, properties etc has to be declared here.

I got PR sorted before leaving England but that's only because I was close to the cutoff age for PR (45) and I figured that if I came on a 457 and loved it, I would have been broken-hearted if I subsequently struggled to get PR. Unless you're close to 45 or your trade is at risk of dropping off the critical skills list, I wouldn't bother with PR yet.