Help - Urgent Age question!!!!

alamo1998

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can give me some ideas as running out of time fast! My husband is an architect and will turn 45 on the 17th September. We want to apply for a skilled independent visa 189 and his occupation is on the list. At the present time he scores 60 points but as of 17th September he will only score 50 which puts us out of the game. His skills need to be assessed by the Australian Institute of Architects and the time-scale for this is 16 weeks.

Do we have any options at all that I am missing? All ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Does it have to be a 189?

I came in on a 457 at the age of 49 and am in the process of applying for "direct entry" route of 186 employer nominated scheme.

My MA tells me that so long as I get my application in before I turn 50 it will be considered.

Of course, to get the 457 in the first place you have to have a job offer from a firm who's able to nominate you, and who then will nominate you for the 186, but it is possible after the age of 45.

Hi,

If you can't submit the visa application in time and lose the 10 points, can you make the points up with an improved IELTS score (Did he sit IELTS)? Also not sure if it is feasible to get more points by applying for a 190 instead?

I had a similar issue when we decided to emigrate. We decided to start the application process around July of the year I wound turn 45 in December. My qualification needed to be assessed by my institute and the turnaround time was approx 12 weeks, which was too long by the time I put the paperwork in. However, I sent a covering (begging) letter in with the application asking them to process asap and they agreed to get it done within a couple of weeks.

Don't know how much research you have done on the emigration process, but be aware that the paperwork requirements can be quite onerous. It took me weeks to get all the references and documents I needed to prove "skills" and "experience" before I could even submit the forms.

My OH had similar issue with turning 40. Got in contact with organisation explaining desperate situation and unlikely to be able to apply if wasn't done by x date (put v politely of course!). Turned it round v quickly.

Other thing I would suggest is getting in touch with migration agent - they are likely to have contacts at the assessment agency.

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can give me some ideas as running out of time fast! My husband is an architect and will turn 45 on the 17th September. We want to apply for a skilled independent visa 189 and his occupation is on the list. At the present time he scores 60 points but as of 17th September he will only score 50 which puts us out of the game. His skills need to be assessed by the Australian Institute of Architects and the time-scale for this is 16 weeks.

Thanks

Hi @Alamo,

Unfortunately the points system is fixed and if you don't meet the points test then you will not receive a visa. The points are calculated on the day that you apply for the visa proper, rather than the date that you submit an EOI. For example if you submitted an EOI and you passed a limit for which points would be reduced, in your case 17th September, then your points would automatically reduced and you would not receive an invite. Likewise if you did receive an invite before the birthday and you failed to apply before 17th September then your visa would be refused based on the information that you have given, as you will have failed the points test.

Another point to note is that because you require a skills assessment then that will take time to arrive and only after then may you submit an EOI. Because it is a short timeframe, coupled with having to wait for skills assessment I think it would be almost impossible to receive an invite before your husbands birthday which would rule him out completely.

Now that's the negative bits out of the way, here are some options!

1. Sit IELTS or PTE and aim for 'Superior English' that will give your husband twenty points.

Or:

Sit IELTS or PTE and aim for 'Competent English' which will give him ten points

2. Try for state nomination (subclass 190) however this only yields 5 extra points but if you (his spouse) also have an occupation on the SOL or CSOL for the state nomination you can also get your skills assessed and claim 5 points.

Without asking too many probing questions about how you have calculated points then these are the only options for a skilled migration permanent residency visa.

It is nearly impossible to pass the points test after the age of 45 and I would not be surprised if there is no way for your OH, but it might be worth posting up the points as you have calculated them to see if anyone can spot options you have missed.

Looks like a couple of other people have successfully expedited their skills assessment, so I would definitely see if you can do the same. If not, well then sadly you have probably just left it too late for skilled migration and would have to think about whether you want to pursue employer sponsored options.

Is architect on the SOL by the way?

Wow! What a great response in such a short time! Lots of interesting viewpoints - I will list the way we worked out the points:

Points Just Now:

Age 40-45 : 15 points

Skilled Employment outside Australia: 15 points

Qualifications : 10 points

Language Test - Superior : 20 points

Total: 60 points

Points after 17/09/15:

Age 45-50 : 0 points

Total: 45 points

I also have a degree in architecture, but have only worked v.v.v part time self employed in the last 10 years and no real paper trail for tax, so I don't think I can claim the extra 5 points for a spouse.

Not sure how to approach the sponsored ideas...I have never seen an architecture job advertised in this way - do you speculative approach big firms and then get them to do their side of it if they are interested in taking the job offer forward?

Hi All,

Thanks

Couldn't you boost the points with a superior English grade for IELTS

EDIT

sorry missed the above post

Hi Mungbean,

Looking to base ourselves in Brisbane...just Husband to work for the moment. Once settled I plan to get back in to work as a Draftsperson. He works for a big multidisciplinary practice at the moment and would probably prefer similar, but open to new prospects. How does the economy in Brisbane compare to Sydney at the moment. Really looking at Brisbane due to property affordability as we want to buy and also don't want to be miles out of the centre!

Hey @alamo1998

I'm not a QLD expert but I seem to keep reading everywhere that BNE is growing faster than anywhere else in Aus, which you would think means good prospects for architects...

Going to be much cheaper to live up there too. A colleague of mine just re-located (SYD-BNE) and is pretty happy with the decision. I'm kinda tempted myself... SYD house prices and rentals are just crazy.

Wow! What a great response in such a short time! Lots of interesting viewpoints - I will list the way we worked out the points:

Points Just Now:

Age 40-45 : 15 points

Total: 60 points

Points after 17/09/15:

Age 45-50 : 0 points

Total: 45 points

I also have a degree in architecture, but have only worked v.v.v part time self employed in the last 10 years and no real paper trail for tax, so I don't think I can claim the extra 5 points for a spouse.

Not sure how to approach the sponsored ideas...I have never seen an architecture job advertised in this way - do you speculative approach big firms and then get them to do their side of it if they are interested in taking the job offer forward?

I notice you only have ten points for qualification. Degrees get 15 points, does your OH not have a degree?

Ah, yes sorry, my mistake, yes, he has a degree and a masters, architecture takes 7 years to qualify! So 65 points just now and 45 points after 17/09. - Thanks for spotting that!

Well that looks like 50 points after the birthday?

Also have you actually looked into the skills assessment, because it looks like quite an academic one to me, in which case maybe you can pass it? Worth looking into for another 5 points and then maybe 5 points or 10 points for state sponsorship.

Because I didn't fully qualify as an architect...did the degree, but not the masters, I wouldn't pass the assessment as an Architect. However, I could pass as an Architectural technician or Draughtsperson ( have additional qualifications in this area), but unfortunately those jobs are not on any of the lists at the moment. My maths skills do need polishing up!

Because I didn't fully qualify as an architect...did the degree, but not the masters, I wouldn't pass the assessment as an Architect. However, I could pass as an Architectural technician or Draughtsperson ( have additional qualifications in this area), but unfortunately those jobs are not on any of the lists at the moment. My maths skills do need polishing up!

I didn't see anything in the skills assessment pages to say that a masters was required? Sometimes skills assessments are not as vigorous shall we say as getting the actual professional qualification. Just want to make sure you exhaust this option (if you have not already), but I am no expert on architect skills assessments either.

be aware that the paperwork requirements can be quite onerous.

Yes.

Getting employers' references with ridiculous levels of detail on exactly what you did, how much you earned, 2 proofs of payment for the employment...

Applying, from 10,000 miles away, for university transcripts showing individual module marks from 30 years ago. (Back then they just used to put them up on a noticeboard and you copied them onto the back of your hand in biro).

I never would have thought to cover all this if the MA wasn't dragging it all out of me.

we can't even remember half the modules we took at uni. Getting a copy of the transcripts will be very interesting!

So long as you can tell them your full name, course, year of graduation, and pay them 40 quid or so, then they will probably be able to work it all out.... ;-)

I'm amazed they keep this stuff on record for so long though.

Have to say - I wasn't too impressed at being reminded how close I came to not getting past first year!

Archived