temporary accomodation before renting

Clankaroo

Hi all,

I have secured a job in Sydney and plan to move in the next weeks. I first need to rent a temporary accommodation.

How much time should I need for this temporary accommodation before I can find an apartment that I can move into ? (bondi junction area)

I was thinking about 1 month. Any advice on this ?

Also, can you negotiate the prices down ?

Thanks in advance all

We're in a similar boat to you - although we don't have jobs yet & aren't arriving until early October.

We know that we want to live in Manly so I joined some of the Northern Beaches buy & sell pages on Facebook & posted a few statuses asking if anybody knew of any short term renting opportunities. By luck a lady got in touch who has a lovely apartment in Manly with a pool etc who is going to be leasing to us for 4 weeks whilst she's away on holiday. Works out perfectly for us as she goes 2 days after we arrive! I'd look into doing something like this to tie you over until you find an actual property that you really want to live in

I suggest you book into a hostel for a week or two. There are many around Central railway and Kings Cross, both on train line to Bondi Jn. Join the YHA before you leave too, though I expect you can join here.

I heard about this website for finding share accomodation just this week! i was talking to a couple of young Pommie guys outside my block of units, from the next village to me in England too. They were sharing a flat in my block. If you don't want to share accomodation, then book a furnished flat on a short term lease until you find something more permanent. www.domain.com.au should have plenty.

Sydney Share Accommodation - Flatmates.com.au

https://flatmates.com.au/sydney

Australia's largest Share Accommodation site. Browse up-to-date listings across Sydney. Plus it's FREE & EASY to advertise your place!

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable]

[TR]

[TD] Inner-West Sydney

Browse up-to-date listings across Inner-West Sydney. Plus it's ...[/TD]

[TD] Sydney North Shore

Browse up-to-date listings across Sydney North Shore. Plus it's ...[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Sydney Eastern Suburbs

Bondi Beach - Bondi - Coogee - Bondi Junction - ...[/TD]

[TD] Sydney Roommates ...

Australia's largest roommate site. Browse up-to-date listings ...[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Sydney CBD

Private rooms - Sydney - Darlinghurst - Furnished - Ultimo[/TD]

[TD] Private rooms

On main line by train to most uni's in Sydney. Great quiet place to ...[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2] More results from flatmates.com.au »[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

How much time should I need for this temporary accommodation before I can find an apartment that I can move into ? (bondi junction area)

I was thinking about 1 month. Any advice on this ?

Also, can you negotiate the prices down ?

l

I would say a month is sensible. It's unlikely you'll be able to negotiate prices down on holiday accommodation - it's much in demand, especially short term furnished flats which are rented by companies for their relocating employees.

What is your budget? Bondi Junction is in the Eastern Suburbs which is the most expensive part of Sydney. It is the terminus for a major train line so it is easy to get to from other parts of the city. I suggest you research on domain.com.au to get an idea what suburbs you can afford to rent in, so you don't waste time searching in the wrong places when you arrive.

I first need to rent a temporary accommodation. How much time should I need for this temporary accommodation before I can find an apartment that I can move into

I reckon give yourself three months. That will give you ample time to look around and find something you really like. One month is a bit rushed, with so much else going on around you in terms of moving and settling in.

A backpackers hostel is probably your cheapest bet. But make sure you don't choose a "party hostel", as that won't bode well if you are trying to sleep for work.

Backpackers and YHAs tend to fall into two distinct categories. Most people (depending which one you choose) are either serious workers, or pot smoking party heads. :laugh:

You may be able to negotiate a cheaper price in return for some service on your part. Some hostels offer cheaper rates if you clean the kitchen or toilets etc... I acted as night manager at one hostel and got free accommodation in return. But these sort of roles are quite hard to get; as everyone is keen for cheaper rent.

A backpacker hostel will be cheaper than a long-term motel.

Archived