First impression of Pickfords - not great...

CharlieV

Hi All,

I've been getting quotes for our shipping over the phone from a few companies and today we had the first ones, Pickfords, come over to look at the stuff and provide a quote.

The guy that came over entered the number of boxes etc into his iPad said, that's it I'm done, it will be sent over in an email tomorrow. Any questions? I had to quiz him about insurance, if packing materials will be supplied, if they write the inventory or I need to. He didn't know how busy they are so wasn't sure when I would be able to book. He was unsure about a lot of things and just seemed to not care all that much which didn't inspire much confidence!

So, I have a similar quote from Anglo Pacific (just over £2k for half a container) and they seem much more knowledgeable. Anyone else had a good experience with Anglo Pacific and does around £2k seem about right for half a container?

Thanks!

Being in London try Bournes, at least give them a call, not the cheapest however I've known them for years are did a great job for us. What is important is to ensure they are part of a global network and trust the guys at the other end, we had Chess move in Brisbane, again great.

Price you quote is fine, get independant insurance including total loss (a lot don't cover if the ship needs to push the container overboard).

S

I would never make a decision based upon who comes around, whether they are very good or very bad. You will never see that person again. To be honest the major players are much of a muchness, for all of them you will find some people happy with service and some will be unhappy and the majority quite indifferent. I would base the decision on price.

We have booked Pickfords for our move in October. To be fair, the guy who came round to quote sounded pretty similar to your experience but as we have used Pickfords before were not overly fussed because it's your move co-ordinator who you deal with and they always seem pretty good in our experience. We have been quoted £3,300 Norfolk to Brisbane, door to door. The rep suggested we got insurance elsewhere which we did through Letton Percival for £420, Pickfords quoted £1650 lol!

We had a guy from Pickfords, he was the same, but new to the job by only a week or two. We were quoted £9k for a 3 bed house, a VW Campervan, camping trailer, and a motorbike...............I also didn't have any confidence in the quote, and whether it was accurate TBH.

I have just requested a visit from Anglo Pacific, but would welcome anyone else, we are in Somerset.

Cheers MT

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update - Anglo Pacific have been here all day packing and loaded our things onto the truck. They were great; worked non-stop, got it all done in 6 hours, wrote a really detailed list of items/boxes as they went and wrapped everything really well with individual labels on each item. Couldn't have hoped for better, lets just hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly as today did!

Just as an update - Anglo Pacific have been here all day packing and loaded our things onto the truck. They were great; worked non-stop, got it all done in 6 hours, wrote a really detailed list of items/boxes as they went and wrapped everything really well with individual labels on each item. Couldn't have hoped for better, lets just hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly as today did!

I'm just about to start getting quotes, but this sounds pleasing. Was it still 20ft for just over 2k? Any other extra's that you realised you needed on top?

Guest Global

Does not seem too bad have had some quote through to around £6000 but that a full pack and unpack service will get someone round to do me a proper quote.

Have looked at Anglo as I also want to ship one of my cars out there as well

It does yep. Not least because they *literally* come in and pack. You don't have to do anything...they even deal with all the customs paperwork at the other end and will deliver it to your door (and even unpack it/take the packaging away if you request that). My parents have used them all 3 times we've moved back and forth between the UK & Australia and will be using them for the forth time in August this year when we move to Australia again xx

I'm just about to start getting quotes, but this sounds pleasing. Was it still 20ft for just over 2k? Any other extra's that you realised you needed on top?

We managed to get them down a bit, so close to £2k plus delivery within 100 miles of destination. They were great, packed everything up, labelled it all by room and at the other end they unpack it into each room too. Only additional thing was insurance at 3% but you can always shop around for that part of it

Anyone else had a good experience with Anglo Pacific and does around £2k seem about right for half a container?

Anglo Pacific screwed up with me.

I got 2 quotes for shipping cartons, rather than a container -- one from them and one from PSS. I decided to go with PSS as they were slightly cheaper and customer service on the phone was marginally better.

Next thing I knew, Anglo Pacific delivered empty boxes and tape to the house. I called them to say "oi, I'm not using you, come and take them back". They said they would rather just leave them as it's cheaper than picking them up.

Then PSS deliver boxes and tape to the house next day.

2-3 days later I've boxed everything up in PSS-branded boxes. A third-party courier turns up, as arranged, to take the boxes to the depot. It was TNT I think. I asked him who he was collecting for but he didn't know. He had come on the day I arranged with PSS, so I thought all was good. He took my boxes away.

An hour later another courier turns up. Says he's collecting for PSS!

By this time I was already in Aus, so I had to leave my elderly mother in charge of sorting out the mess, and getting Anglo to somehow bring the boxes back, or deliver them to PPS's depot. Very messy, and unnecessary stress on my poor old mum, just when I'm leaving for Aus.

I was very unimpressed by what looked like a combination of incompetence and very aggressive selling.

I've been quoted just shy of 4k for a 20ft. Not sure why that would be different to anybody else? What things can I negotiate on? They are coming over tomorrow!

One thing that will affect your price is the distance from the depot to your home and then to the port, the same will apply in Oz.

We went with Pickfords and negotiated them down to £3200 from £3650 for a 20' container door to door. We decided we wanted to use Pickfords based on previous experience, but told them they would need to beat the best quote we had - they did! :-)

Guest Global

Has anyone tried to pack their own goods rather than pay for the proffecional pack and unpack service, seems to me that the prices in some cases very expensive when the sea freight on a 40ft box only around $1400 US.

I have read the some companies insist on this stating that customs may pull you container if its not proffecionally packed but from my experience they could pull it anyway.

I've just had a quote for a high top 40ft for £7300 for a 3 bed house and a VW Campervan, PLUS an additional shared 20ft for £2800, I'm now asking for more details, what I would be quoted to fill a std 40ft and 20ft. They did a full inventory with sizes, so I am going through this with a ruthless pen to delete stuff we don't really think is sentimental, and selling it in the UK. I think I might go down the route of 20ft and do roll on roll off Shipping for the VW Campervan.

Archived