Moving to cairns

Lizzie0309

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say give it a go, life is too short not to. Having said that there is a but, personally knowing Cairns I would go to Brisbane as the weather is more bearable, much more work and just generally not quite as big a culture shock as Cairns would be. As you have accommodation of course that really isn't an option. Give it a go, is there any way of keeping your stuff over here if it does go wrong ?

For us we had nothing amazing going on in the UK careers wise. Loves having family and friends around though! So thought why not, it was easy for myself having both passports, my husband we were unsure so just got a WHV. Which has perhaps held us back but enough about us!

We have a house full of furniture in the UK in my In-Laws granny flat, where we were living previously. Part of me thinks great if you we go back to the UK we can move in tomorrow and its like we have never left, a bit dustier though i imagine haha. The other part of me sees that as a reason to go home. We could have brought it all with us, but nothing was special, it would cost more to ship then buy new i imagine. They are all replaceable, can you store it? Or at least the most important stuff?

There isnt an Ikea near Cairns (Brisbane is the nearest at 24 hours drive away ish of the top of my head)

Cairns is missing some of the bigger chains, that in the UK you would just drive an hour down the road too and sorted. Here not quite. But there are still plenty of places to buy stuff from! Am slowly finding my new favourite shops.

Cairns may not be your forever home, but it is a good start. It has a little of everything. Have a read online to research as much as possible. For us one of the reasons we moved was for the nicer weather so Melbourn and Sydney were out of the questions. I would maybe have been a little happier in Brisbane, but we can go there in the future. Australia is such a massive place, once you are in you can go anywhere.

I would throw myself in to a year hard (not to much pressure tho!) and see how you feel after that. Also don't compare everything to the UK. Its easy to be saying 'oh we do it differently in the UK etc' I would say something Australia are ahead with and some very far behind, but hey thats the joy of it all

I don't know the costs of all the Visa stuff, but i feel now you have this idea, there will always be a little bit of you that wonders what if? If you don't make it out here. I know thats how i would have felt.

I think the whole thing is going to the unknown really I've never been and don't know what to except , also the thought of selling all our possions and if it don't work out for us we really will be returning to the uk with nothing and to start from scratch again is all an emotional roller coaster I really do hope we love it and make a life out there , obversly in uk we are not getting anywhere at the min , my husband is a fully qualified macanic and we have sent c.v over to his sister for her to send out , so hopefully he might have a job for us even arriving , sisters house fully air coned so I'm hoping weather won't be a prob for kids ahhhh so any things in my head right now , serious answer if you where in my shoes what would u do ? I'm a risking it ...? We are Litterly selling everything we own in uk and just going there never been ect lol crazy

Truthfully, and I've never been to cairns, but living in Perth, which is on a downturn.

If no dependants, and you could keep a good bridge to the UK, ie your house etc, then with having a home ready to go to, I would say go for it. Set your stall out to give it your all. In Aus its not what you know but who you know.

Otherwise, even though I love it here, you will be paying out money right left and centre, Aus isn't cheap, you will have to pay all sorts re schooling.

if you can afford to take the risk, then go ahead, the benefits of living here are amazing.

Guest The Pom Queen
I think the whole thing is going to the unknown really I've never been and don't know what to except , also the thought of selling all our possions and if it don't work out for us we really will be returning to the uk with nothing and to start from scratch again is all an emotional roller coaster I really do hope we love it and make a life out there , obversly in uk we are not getting anywhere at the min , my husband is a fully qualified macanic and we have sent c.v over to his sister for her to send out , so hopefully he might have a job for us even arriving , sisters house fully air coned so I'm hoping weather won't be a prob for kids ahhhh so any things in my head right now , serious answer if you where in my shoes what would u do ? I'm a risking it ...? We are Litterly selling everything we own in uk and just going there never been ect lol crazy

One of the mechanics was looking for someone the other day I will see if I can find his imfo, it's 1am here now and I'm off to sleep but PM me if I have forgot. I can also put you in touch with my mechanic he is a wonderful guy so I am sure he would help hubby out, he may not be able to offer paid work at the moment as he has just took someone on but he may be able to give him a bit of aussie experience and a reference which is what a lot of companies want and may just help him land a good job.

Like The Bears have said we don't have a lot of the huge chains in Cairns, take a look at SuperAMart they do furniture packages as well, there is a fantastic furniture in Townsville where you can buy a full furniture setting for around $1000 not great quality but it will put you on. Harvey Norman is the next one for furniture and white goods and remember to barter.

To be honest I don't think your fears are to do with Cairns but mainly the move itself, and please don't worry because we have all been there. Even when we moved from Melbourne to Cairns I went in to panic mode.

yes I see what u mean ,,, but I mean ur allways gonna say what if what if, I'm am fully wanting this to work so much ,we have nothing worth value here in uk we have no home we just private renting and just life is so bloody boring here we truly had enough here now for the last couple years ,just wanna start a fresh really and we have been offered this big opportunity you either take it or don't ...

yes I see what u mean ,,, but I mean ur allways gonna say what if what if, I'm am fully wanting this to work so much ,we have nothing worth value here in uk we have no home we just private renting and just life is so bloody boring here we truly had enough here now for the last couple years ,just wanna start a fresh really and we have been offered this big opportunity you either take it or don't ...

Doesnt seem like you have anything to lose then !! If your unhappy then it ain't worth staying around

Lizzie, I know I was one of the ones giving you the negatives - but on balance, I'd say that in your shoes, I would risk it, definitely. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Most people contemplating migration would kill to have the safety net you're going to have.

Don't sell all your possessions - store them! Have a really serious declutter - we all have stuff that's not worth keeping, let's face it - and then put the rest in a self-storage unit. Sure it will cost you money but if it's possible you're coming back, it will save you far more than you'll spend on storage fees.

Ideally, see if you can find a storage place where you can pack everything into a pod or container. Then if you decide you're staying in Australia permanently, you just have to instruct them to put the pod/container on a ship and you're done.

99.99% please tell me the last person to die of a croc attack in Cairns, a stinger or snake?

Dengue the highest case we had was 2013 and I can't remember the exact figure but it was around 108 of these most were in the aboriginal areas.

More people are taken to hospital from encounters with domestic pets.

I do agree about the dangers of the sun though.

I meant to say survive from feral attack of one sort or another. Figures for Cairns in 13 I believe where a well over a hundred but several years back an outbreak impacted far more people. I have not seen a racial breakdown but would accept long grass sleepers would be more at risk. Still I record a suburb breakdown from that year as well.

I meant to say survive from feral attack of one sort or another. Figures for Cairns in 13 I believe where a well over a hundred but several years back an outbreak impacted far more people. I have not seen a racial breakdown but would accept long grass sleepers would be more at risk. Still I record a suburb breakdown from that year as well.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean please explain ?

I'm not quite understanding what you mean please explain ?

Well Cairns has years where numbers escalate of folk fallen victim to dengue fever. 2013 was the latest substantial outbreak. Several years back many hundreds fell victim. Hence my take it is not only a handful a year falling victim. It ebbs and flows. Cairns has/had I expect they still do a system in place to attempt to eradicate mosquitos as well as awareness campaigns to rid of breeding areas like still water etc.

I have no knowledge of the racial breakdown stats but could well imagine aboriginal people being at high risk considering rates of homelessness (long grasses are folk that sleep rough under the stars) But I have seen stats as to the locations of most outbreaks listed somewhere.

One should remember though the Dengue mosquito is out and about during the day where as the malaria mozzie (not in Cairns these days I believe) strikes at night. So not necessary rough sleepers but those that sit around parks and open spaces all day one assumes may well be more open to infection.

As for the other thing. 99.9% of visitors escape becoming a victim of croc/mad Queenslander/shark/snake/killer jelly fish/ did I say Mad Queenslander attack, so al is good for most.

Good vs bad from what I'm hearing the bad over does the good about cairns :-( not good ,

I don't think that the bad necessarily wins over the good, it all comes down to the individual. I know people who would never leave the place but others that wouldn't live there for any amount of money.The countryside can be beautiful, the weather can be incredibly oppressive.

There seem to be a lot of comments from people who visited, spoke to someone who visited, have heard of someone who visited from a friend, or saw something about visiting Cairns on TV!

So, I live in Cairns with my wonderful wife and children. We have two girls: a five year old, and a two year old. I grew up in the UK, arrived in Australia in the 1980's and up until 5 years ago spent nealy all of my time in Australia in the southern states.

Cairns is a great place to live and bring up children. Give me a python (Cairns) over a brown (Melbourne) snake anytime. Both very rare sights. I'll have a cyclone (Cairns) over a bushfire (Victoria and NSW) anyday. I would have 100% humidity and upper 30s over high 40s and the smell of bushfires. And on it goes.

It took 2 wet seasons to get used to the humidity. Now I don't even think about it. It is currently the closest we get to winter - it was 17C this morning, brrrr (-:

Cairns is a lovely. It is unique and not like the rest of Australia. The tropics is just wonderfully different to everywhere else.

Australia is famous for its flying, biting insects. This is not unique to Cairns or the tropics. Whether your bitten or not is largely dictated on your genetics, not where you live. Ross River and Q fever is now in southern NSW. Dengue has been reported well south of the tropics. If you're terrified of flying insect bites live in an inner city capital suburb (that'll be like any capital city around the world, just warmer). You'll see the light when you visit your sister in the future!

We are both lucky to have good jobs, but I would agree that securing employment could be a challenge. It depends totally on your occupation / profession and transferrability of skills and qualifications.

I gather the cost of living may be a bit higher here than capital cities. But housing is much more affordable in regional areas. Also I drive to work in 8 minutes instead of 45 (in Melbourne) and can always park with ease.

I could go on and on. But what specific questions do you have?

Guest The Pom Queen
There seem to be a lot of comments from people who visited, spoke to someone who visited, have heard of someone who visited from a friend, or saw something about visiting Cairns on TV!

So, I live in Cairns with my wonderful wife and children. We have two girls: a five year old, and a two year old. I grew up in the UK, arrived in Australia in the 1980's and up until 5 years ago spent nealy all of my time in Australia in the southern states.

Cairns is a great place to live and bring up children. Give me a python (Cairns) over a brown (Melbourne) snake anytime. Both very rare sights. I'll have a cyclone (Cairns) over a bushfire (Victoria and NSW) anyday. I would have 100% humidity and upper 30s over high 40s and the smell of bushfires. And on it goes.

It took 2 wet seasons to get used to the humidity. Now I don't even think about it. It is currently the closest we get to winter - it was 17C this morning, brrrr (-:

Cairns is a lovely. It is unique and not like the rest of Australia. The tropics is just wonderfully different to everywhere else.

Australia is famous for its flying, biting insects. This is not unique to Cairns or the tropics. Whether your bitten or not is largely dictated on your genetics, not where you live. Ross River and Q fever is now in southern NSW. Dengue has been reported well south of the tropics. If you're terrified of flying insect bites live in an inner city capital suburb (that'll be like any capital city around the world, just warmer). You'll see the light when you visit your sister in the future!

We are both lucky to have good jobs, but I would agree that securing employment could be a challenge. It depends totally on your occupation / profession and transferrability of skills and qualifications.

I gather the cost of living may be a bit higher here than capital cities. But housing is much more affordable in regional areas. Also I drive to work in 8 minutes instead of 45 (in Melbourne) and can always park with ease.

I could go on and on. But what specific questions do you have?

Thank goodness it is not just me who thinks this. It seems the op is ignoring those of us who live there and listening to people who have visited for a holiday or not at all. I am not saying their opinion doesn't matter but it is very different holidaying there to living there. Plus you do acclimatise to the weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Why have you chosen Cairns? Was it because of a holiday visit? Or looked good on 'Wish You Were Here?

Let me tell you about Cairns..........

I live in Kewarra Beach on the Northern Beaches 20mins drive north of Cairns CBD area.

Been living in Cairns since December 2006........ :-)

6 months before that was in Adelaide. Migrated to Oz May 2006.

Now, Cairns is simply paradise. Perfect? No. But paradise..... Yes.

There are many opinions from people that do not fully know, been to, or stayed a lengthy time in Cairns that get it wrong.

Is Cairns an easy place to live? Yes and no.

It is stunningly beautiful and offers a fabulous lifestyle.

I am a London born city boy so i know about climatising!!

I have a house with a pool (a must have) and i enjoy swimming in the sea (May to mid Novemebr mainly) and the rivers, creeks and water holes out n about here.

Stingers (Box Jellies and mainly Irukanji..) frequent the sea Mid Nov to end April/Mid May. I tend to not go in the sea then. But i have a pool :-) There are plenty of creeks and lovely water ways to swim :-) Also there is a fabulous water park coming our way soon. That will be happening after a couple of false dawns.

There is so much to do here and its clean fresh, green and vibrant.

Do your homework...... research........ and it depends what you are looking for.

Now in July weather is great, hardly any humidity at all. And cooler (still mid 20's in the day and around 8 to 12 deg at night) Heaven. :-)

Peak time for weather is Jan/Feb/March/April for heat n humidity. But there is aircon n cars, houses, shps etc...... cool creeks etc. But the key thing is it take a good couple wet seasons to adapt, to CLIMATISE. Give it time, allow yourself to climatise and you will adapt.

Dengue Fever etc exists, but is rare. Its not that common. Mainly idown to poor preparation.

I got Ross River AND Leptisporosis at the same time during 2nd year living in Cairns and i was so damn ill. Put me off work for 6 months. first 3 months i could barely move or get out of bed. Felt like death........ And i am a fit healthy guy too. But i got over it, Doc said 'welcome to the tropics' and said he was impressed how tough poms are. :-)

But i got better and got on woth life. Its a distant memory.

Now, unless you have a job lined up its very hard to obtain good work here.

Not impossible, but will take some time maybe......

I came here with no work lined up and i simply prepared myself, networked and got out there. I found something. Was not great pay and not ideal but it was a START. :-) It led to another job and so on...... :-) You see, its all relative :-)

Now...... some years on i live in a detached 4 bed house, good size pool, lovely part of Kewarra Beach, 2 BMW,s about to obtain a Dodge Viper (American muscle car) Got a classic motorcycle, i dont worry about paying bills, mortgage because i work in W.A as a FIFO miner for BHP Billiton. I now earn 190,000 dollars a year. My wofe she is a hairdresser and earns around 47,000 dollars a year.

Over a handful of years we have simpy stuck it out and adapted to circumstances, situations etc and climatised and embraced the environment. It really is a paradise lifestyle we have. Its awesome. But you have got to want it, desire it, dig in and set the roots down. It WILL happen if you want it :-)

There is so much more here and if you want to know more...... email me markfairbank@bigpond.com or call us here in Oz (07) 40579447

A reply from someone that does not know the full facts of living there.

How do i know...?

I am from London (born) and have lived in Cairns since Dec 2006.

I work in W.A (mining) in 48degree heat so i know extremes of weather all round Australia..........

Have experienced 2 major cat 5 cyclones since living here (Larry and Yasi) so i know the extremes of tropical weather. Opressive? Not at all. Different...? Yes.

Ok so lots mixed feelings going on here , it seems to be dangerous place for children what I'm hearing is this true.? ( I'm so overprotective with my little boys and don't want mosquitos or anything to bite them lol I know it seems weird but I keep thinking of all these dangerous out there ... The reason it's cairns is we are living with my sister in law who owns a house out there and has been there for 7 years so she's kindly let us as a family leave with her for a year to experience it and make our mind up wether we would like to stay or not ... So scared of going now and so close just keep freaking out bout the animals and my kids if we don't do it now though we will never do it ... X

Do it. You must. Many opinions here are wrong. Did you read mine elsewhere here on forum? I am a Londoner born now turned Aussie! lol. I have lived here since 2006 and on the Northern Beaches. My wofe and step daughter (who was 7 when we moved here) love it here. Its PERFECT for kids as well as adults. Dangerous?? No no no. Not at all. There are 'nasties' here, in the air and sea and land but unless you are ignorant, stupid/dumb, reckless you will be FINE!! :-)

You will so regret not taking a chance and plea, one thing you must do is give it TIME. You will acclimatise and it is humid just a few months a year. It can offer a hell of a lifestyle. We adore it here. Was tough to start but my god........ its amazing to think where we are, what we have as in a richness of life!

If you end up staying, get a rental or buy a house with a pool. very handy that :-) Also, the northen Beaches the best by far. Areas of the south of Cairns are good, some not so good......

You have to do it, We moved to Cairns 10 months ago and we love it. I did not want to stay in UK and live with regrets and get to 60 years old and think 'what if'!

Just try it, you can always move back home. I sold everything in UK and brought only clothes and pictures. My sister moved to Perth and shipped all her furniture over and it never went with the house, so she got rid and bought all new and regretted shipping the furniture over. I have day`s where I`m home sick but know it will get better it`s just a roller coaster of emotions. My children are 14 & 13 they have made loads of friends and love it here and never want to go back to the UK. The weather I love. We got told stories about the humidity,snakes,crocks,mozies etc and not I`m here the humidity was not a problem for me or my family. I live the Northern Beaches (Kewarra Beach) and during the stinger season they have the nets up on the beach so you can still swim. We jumped strait in and bought a house with pool and the views are fantastic. It is Paradise. My husband works FIFO and I work 3 days in a petrol station (they call it a servo over here) It`s surprising how many British/Welch/Scottish people they are here, Your children will love it and there is so much to do on your doorstep. I have spoken to people that have moved up from Perth & Melbourne as they feel it is better for their children. As you have not got the hassle of needing to sort out accommodation, I really would just go for it. I`m sat outside now typing this post looking at the lush greenery and palm trees rustling, sun glistening onto my pool. I just wish I had family over here!!

If you would like to meet up for a coffee when you move over PM me and I will give you my contact details.

Archived