What to take in luggage and what to ship in container?

M005

We're flying out to Brisbane on the 24th August - which is rapidly approaching.

Is there a list anywhere or can anyone help with the less obvious bits to take in luggage rather than shipping.

I've made a list of what I think we'll need (family of 4) but obviously don't want to take what we won't need and forget what we will.

Thanks.

Take all important documents and valuables in hand luggage, I know paperwork is heavy but some is hard to replace like qualification Certs. Scan other documents and keep on a hard drive. We also backed up the computers we were shipping onto external drives and took them in hand luggage. Shippers don't like valuable jewlery in containers either. Don't bother with toiletries to keep the weight down, just buy when here.

Put winter clothes in the container, even though you're arriving in winter - it's very unlikely you'll need them, other than the odd cardigan or jumper for cool evenings. Shoes are heavy so carry as few pairs as possible. It's true you may have to manage for up to 3 months till the container arrives, but it's surprising what you can manage without!

Unless you're sending off your container well in advance, you'll likely move into a house long before your container arrives. That means you'll have to buy sheets, towels, kitchenware etc - unless you take some in your luggage. We packed our good picnic set (plastic plates and cups, knives and forks etc) and have been managing with that for over two months (our boxes arrive today!), but I wish I had packed my kitchen utensils as there are some things I just couldn't cook without, so I had to buy new ones.

I agree, all valuables (including documents) need to go in your hand luggage - never trust them to checked-in baggage or the container.

Thanks for all the replies and hope your shipment arrived OK Marisa.

Weighed our cases today and the large one is 9kg empty - so they will go in the container and I've ordered some big holdalls which weigh 1kg each.

It's 23 days until we move out the house so going to start collecting stuff together for a trial pack and weigh session :err:

Hi,

We had the same panic, but like others have mentioned, we brought over seasonal clothes, some basic toys for the kids, camping dinner set, anything off value such as jewellery and all paperwork. We also had (as paid for by employer,) a cubic metre of air freight that arrived before us, which has camping furniture and extra toys and clothing in it. We also had a bigger weight allowance of 60kg per person, which was a God send, as the paperwork weighed alot. Definitely make sure you have at hand, immunisation records, driving licence etc as they are all needed for medicare etc, if you need to cull the paperwork.

Good luck

Archived