820 de facto partner visa !!

Isabelle

Hi all!

im new here but thought I'd ask a question I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere !!!

basically me and my fiancée are in the process of applying for a partner visa so We can live in aus . We've lived in England for the last 2 years and then Australia the year before that. He's currently in aus . Would it be better to do a pmv whilst I'm here in England ? Or as I'm going to aus next month for his birthday can I apply for the de facto visa while there ?? Also will I get a bridging visa and be able to work cos I can't stay in aus and not work!!

thanks anyone for helping I feel a bit lost tbh !

Hey thanks for the reply

I am going over on a tourist visa next month so will apply for the de facto visa then ! Wi I be granted full work rights straight away?? So I could live a normal life there and it wouldn't matter that If have to wait for the partner visa to be accepted ?? Thanks so mich

Hey thanks for the reply

I am going over on a tourist visa next month so will apply for the de facto visa then ! Wi I be granted full work rights straight away?? So I could live a normal life there and it wouldn't matter that If have to wait for the partner visa to be accepted ?? Thanks so mich

Hi Isabelle, not sure to be honest, but someone will comment soon that will be able to advise 100%. Good Luck!

Cheers MT

Hey thanks for the reply

Are you sure you can apply for a de facto visa from a tourist visa, I am under the impression a tourit visa is not a substanative visa!

Are you sure you can apply for a de facto visa from a tourist visa, I am under the impression a tourit visa is not a substanative visa!

I did, as long as you don't get a "No further stay" attached to it

I did, as long as you don't get a "No further stay" attached to it.

Also you only get on a bridging visa once the current visa ceases

Hey thanks for the reply

If you lodge a partner visa whilst on a tourist visa you would get a bridging visa with full work rights. But the bridging visa would only kick in when the tourist visa expires, so no you would not be able to work straight away.

I do think you should be aware of the risk you are taking with this approach, immigration would not think it is ok to go to Australia on a tourist visa with the specific aim of lodging a partner visa. Tourist visas are for tourists. If your plan were revealed to immigration you would quite possibly be refused entry.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you qualify for a working holiday visa? I came in on that to live with my partner and then just before it expired we submitted my visa application so I had a bridging visa and could work unrestricted (I understand technically on the working holiday visa you can only work for an employer for 6 months although you can apply for an extension). My visa application took one year and 27 days and because of being British I had access to Medicare etc which is valuable.

We know a couple and the Wife came in on a tourist visa and she has had to leave the country every 3 months or so and cannot work even though they have applied for the partner visa so you should check whether you can work.

Do you qualify for a working holiday visa? I came in on that to live with my partner and then just before it expired we submitted my visa application so I had a bridging visa and could work unrestricted (I understand technically on the working holiday visa you can only work for an employer for 6 months although you can apply for an extension). My visa application took one year and 27 days and because of being British I had access to Medicare etc which is valuable.

We know a couple and the Wife came in on a tourist visa and she has had to leave the country every 3 months or so and cannot work even though they have applied for the partner visa so you should check whether you can work.

once the tourist visa expires she will go onto a bridging visa and then she can work.

If you aren't currently in Australia then you can't apply for the 820 Visa... You have to be in Aus to be able to apply. You can go for the 309/100 Visa as you have to be outside Aus for this one. You can apply for another Visa on the eVisitor Visa but you may not necessarily get a Bridging visa... Good luck!

Edited by clairerowlands7
More info added