Observations - driving in QLD

tina0101

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, just wasn't sure whether the topic was whether undertaking is legal or must not travel in right lane if overtaking.

For the record for anyone else reading, undertaking is legal in Australia when marked lanes exist. As Howard points out you shouldn't sit in the right lane unless overtaking.

I think we could do with the undertaking law over here to enforce lane discipline via peer pressure (i.e. get rid of the middle/right lane hoggers) but as it stands at the moment it is totally legal and expected. I remember one British immigrant who didn't look in her mirror when merging left and crashed into another car because she said they shouldn't be undertaking...even though that law is unheard of in Australia :)

One should always check before changing lanes as a car might also be changing into that lane from the inside, not necessarily undertaking you, maybe just merging. I have no real problem with undertaking just so long as everybody else knows the rules and we drive in full awareness of such, just need to be extra vigilant which is not a bad thing really.

From reading the rules in that link, then it is legal to undertake on a multi lane road and that it would be the car you undertake that is in the wrong (if on a multilane road with a speed limit of 90 or over). so what I do on a Sunday drive down to the Gold Coast is fine:cool:, just like driving in the USA.

Yes, they would only be in the wrong if they were in the far right lane I think.

One should always check before changing lanes as a car might also be changing into that lane from the inside, not necessarily undertaking you, maybe just merging. I have no real problem with undertaking just so long as everybody else knows the rules and we drive in full awareness of such, just need to be extra vigilant which is not a bad thing really.

I would have thought you would need to check in the UK as well but she didn't seem to think so :) Maybe she saw the car and presumed it would slow down as she presumed she had right of way ?

Could you advise as to where and under what conditions? or a link to the road rule, I like this idea! I think similar rules in USA work fine when I have drove there.

I think it would work fine for normal drivers but from my reading of the US studies the minority terrorise pedestrians with this law by failing to give way etc...I think our local streets have already given too much priority to vehicles.

Edited by fish.01

I think it would work fine for normal drivers but from my reading of the US studies the minority terrorise pedestrians with this law by failing to give way etc...I think our local streets have already given too much priority to vehicles.

Having driven in the USA on several occasions I have never noticed a problem, must admit to never reading any studies on it though.

Loads of turn left at Reds on Lutwyche road near me which I find handy. Not often pedestrians at those junctions.

I wouldn't be concerned if this stays a limited exercise in appropriate points. Just worried it will spread too far given some of the already pedestrian unfriendly laws we have. I find it hard to trust our past and current legislators knowledge of 21century urban planning given their records. Children are struggling to walk to school now due to our urban environment. Compared with more enlightened urban planning places (usually non anglo countries) it is very sad.

Yes, they would only be in the wrong if they were in the far right lane I think.

I can not agree, I read it as any lane, as they have to keep left, the rule states "you must not drive in the right hand lane" (they do miss the 's' off) but surely there is only one left lane all others are to the right of it making each one a right hand lane!

If you was in the 3rd lane undertaking a car in the 4th lane and a car in the 2nd lane was undertaking you and a car in the left hand lane was undertaking all 3 of you who would be in the wrong?

Edited by Keith and Linda
other idea

I can not agree, I read it as any lane, as they have to keep left, the rule states "you must not drive in the right hand lane" (they do miss the 's' off) but surely there is only one left lane all others are to the right of it making each one a right hand lane!

If you was in the 3rd lane undertaking a car in the 4th lane and a car in the 2nd lane was undertaking you and a car in the left hand lane was undertaking all 3 of you who would be in the wrong?

I wish you were right (and it would make more sense) but I have heard many times in many places that it is the right lane only sadly.

For me the differences are :

The Indicators and Window Screen Wipers

Getting randomly pulled over for a license check and breathalysed (They pull everyone over not just me atleast !)

The police doing a lot more speed checks (In a variety of cars and locations etc)

Roads being in much better conditions then the UK

Not having your MOT is a bit weird

A fair bit of tailgating (But between South Cairns and Townsville there are a lot of overtaking lanes)

Some people (Not all) driving what i would say is a little fast in heavy rain

As well as you can turn right on a green light but also the pedestrians have a green man, so at first that was a little werid!

But the main thing in the speeding i would say :)

Edited by The Bears

Guest The Pom Queen
For me the differences are :

A fair bit of tailgating (But between South Cairns and Townsville there are a lot of overtaking lanes)

:)

The Bruce is suppose to be the most dangerous highway in Australia and I have to agree. We have travelled the Cairns-Townsville-Cairns stretch around 20 times over the last few months. It is a terrible road to say it's the main one from Cairns to Brissy. You have trucks wanting to climb in your boot, tourists going 50k and having to wait 20k to get passed. Flooding, etc the best part of that stretch is Cardwell and Annie's Cafe

Say 3 weeks out of 4 we drive down to the Goldcoast on a Sunday arvo, most of the trip is done in the left hand lane at 100/110 kph, I don't believe that I should have to move over 3 lanes to the outside lane just to overtake a slower vehicle in the 3rd lane. Also I reckon if I wanted to do the trip quicker I would have to use all 4 lanes for weaving in and out of slower traffic.

Throughout Australia it just seems to be pick a lane, any lane. It doesn't matter what speed you are doing or under/overtaking. The concept of keeping left just seems alien when it fact it should be obvious.

Throughout Australia it just seems to be pick a lane, any lane. It doesn't matter what speed you are doing or under/overtaking. The concept of keeping left just seems alien when it fact it should be obvious.

Agree, though it is not the person undertaking that is at fault but the people in the right hand lanes, I have seen cars come down the on ramp and move straight across to the far right lane (Cutting off cars as they did so), even though there was really nothing in the other lanes to overtake and then everybody was undertaking them.

don't forget you can turn left at some red lights now in QLD. Bad idea, red should mean stop everywhere IMO

I totally disagree. It's allowed at all lights throughout north America unless signed otherwise. It's one of the best things about driving there.

Agree, though it is not the person undertaking that is at fault but the people in the right hand lanes, I have seen cars come down the on ramp and move straight across to the far right lane (Cutting off cars as they did so), even though there was really nothing in the other lanes to overtake and then everybody was undertaking them.

Yes absolutely, the undertaking is forced on other drivers because so many just haven't got a clue how to drive. Keeping left has to be the simplest concept ever but so many just can't seem to grasp it. I would see what you describe literally daily, absolutely no reason to be in the far lane but they just go straight into and won't have anyone tell them to move.

Its best when they decide to turn off and do so at the last minute and swerve across 3 or 4 lanes to do so

Makes me laugh

Good and bad drivers everywhere in the world

Its best when they decide to turn off and do so at the last minute and swerve across 3 or 4 lanes to do so

Makes me laugh

Good and bad drivers everywhere in the world

Absolutely, it very refreshing driving in a country where at least the majority are good though.

Absolutely, it very refreshing driving in a country where at least the majority are good though.

You know something I think the same about driving in Aus now

I feel so much more relaxed here while driving

Good job were all different or we'd all be in the same country doing the same thing

But would that be the UK or another fine country

You know something I think the same about driving in Aus now

I feel so much more relaxed here while driving

Good job were all different or we'd all be in the same country doing the same thing

But would that be the UK or another fine country

Yes that's the thing, you can get used to anything.