Visas/Permanent Residence

Littled419

Hi Everyone :-)

I'm after some help with reference to Visas/Permanent Residency (I've tried doing some online research but my head is spinning & I can't really get my head around it).

My Husband are I are UK citizens and are looking into working in Adelaide temporarily with a view to becoming permanent residents. My Husband's brother & sister-in-law are permanent residents living in Adelaide & his nephew is a citizen. They've also offered to sponsor us if we do want to go over (I don't know if this is any help?).

We've looked into WHVs but the only problem is that my Husband turns 31 next year so we will apply for the first year (whilst he's still 30) ut I don't know if we will be able to apply for the second year as my Husband will be over 30. I think i read somewhere that after 2 years work we would be able to apply for some sort of long-term/permanent residancy visa? Unfortunately we don't hold any skills on the Skilled Occupational List.

Can anyone advise what our options are please? I've tried speaking to the Visa Bureau but they weren't very helpful.

Thanks!

Yep you are confused! :smile:

OK first of all the WHV. To get the second year you would have to complete three months specified work in a regional area and yes your husband would need to apply before he turns 31. I am afraid that even if this were possible, it does not mean that after two years you qualify for a permanent visa. That simply is not true, although this bizarre notion of being able to get a permanent visa after a magical two years does prevail.

You can apply for a permanent visa at any time if you qualify for it, before you even go to Australia in fact. On the other hand, it doesn't matter how much time you spend in Australia on other visas, if you don't meet the criteria for a permanent visa you won't get one.

You have mentioned the SOL, have you also seen the CSOL which is a much more comprehensive list. If one of you is in an occupation on the CSOL then you might still have options.

Family sponsorship (beyond partner, child, parent) generally means very little in Australian immigration and from what you have said, I cannot see it being any help to you.

Hi Everyone :-)

I'm after some help with reference to Visas/Permanent Residency (I've tried doing some online research but my head is spinning & I can't really get my head around it).

My Husband are I are UK citizens and are looking into working in Adelaide temporarily with a view to becoming permanent residents. My Husband's brother & sister-in-law are permanent residents living in Adelaide & his nephew is a citizen. They've also offered to sponsor us if we do want to go over (I don't know if this is any help?).

We've looked into WHVs but the only problem is that my Husband turns 31 next year so we will apply for the first year (whilst he's still 30) ut I don't know if we will be able to apply for the second year as my Husband will be over 30. I think i read somewhere that after 2 years work we would be able to apply for some sort of long-term/permanent residancy visa? Unfortunately we don't hold any skills on the Skilled Occupational List.

Can anyone advise what our options are please? I've tried speaking to the Visa Bureau but they weren't very helpful.

Thanks!

I agree with Bungo. It seems like you will only be able to get the one year in on working holiday visas. The requirements for the second working holiday visa are the same as the first - i.e. you and your partner would have to be aged 18-30 (take a look at https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/49whm.htm).

As far as I know I don't think that family can sponsor you unless it's a child sponsoring a parent to come over or they are your only remaining close relatives. http://www.immi.gov.au/work/pages/work.aspx is useful for searching which visas you can apply for, but I'm afraid that if you're not on the skilled migration list it's very difficult (if not impossible), as I don't think an employer can sponsor you, and you can't get an independent visa/sponsor yourselves.

Best of luck!

It sounds like you have a few visas mixed up. The only visa that perhaps family can help with is the 489 family sponsored, but you still need to have an occupation on one of the skilled occupation lists. There are a few migration agents on this forum (Raul Senise, Wrussell, Alan Collett) and I'd suggest you organise a consultation to see what options you may have.

We are using the emmigration group ,they have being fab and got our partner visa in by end of the month, do you have any other family in UK ie parents or is your brother the only relative ,as you might be able to go on remaining relative visa maybe

As Bungo says, if you're eligible to get permanent residency then you can apply and get it from the UK. If you're not eligible, then getting into Australia some other way and applying in Australia won't make any difference - you still won't get it. So best bet is to find out how to apply from the UK.

We are using the emmigration group ,they have being fab and got our partner visa in by end of the month, do you have any other family in UK ie parents or is your brother the only relative ,as you might be able to go on remaining relative visa maybe

And the partner would also need to have no relatives outside Australia. And it takes 56 years.

Never ever take migration advice from immigration / London House. I know it sounds odd, but this board is littered with people that have major problems by following such advice.

What's London House? Is it the Australian high commission?

Archived