Australians flock to Melbourne as Victoria becomes fastest growing state.

Parley

I've been on a tour of the recycling plant at Wonthaggi and tasted the water they produce. Can't tell the difference between that and what we get out of a tap in the Melbourne suburbs except it tasted slightly less of chlorine. We had a property on tank water and that didn't taste very nice at all, the tea had a kind of biological taste and the coffee didn't taste good, either. Best water is filtered at home and out of the fridge

Yes it is recycled sea water. I think there is a recycled sewage water plant over at the sewage works at Werribee. Better than drinking it straight from the Mekong or the Ganges or ilk in my book at any rate. Pity they don't use it though- it stands there idle and meanwhile Venus Bay has no water just a few kms away. Seems wrong somehow.

Yes it is recycled sea water. I think there is a recycled sewage water plant over at the sewage works at Werribee. Better than drinking it straight from the Mekong or the Ganges or ilk in my book at any rate. Pity they don't use it though- it stands there idle and meanwhile Venus Bay has no water just a few kms away. Seems wrong somehow.

WA has certainly been going in that direction for sometime. I suspect it will come in without much ado as it will not be advertised and as such will be largely un noticed. I don't suppose Londoners would have welcomed its initiation also.

Back to the original topic- we can expect an influx of Greeks to join the second largest Greek population outside Athens- i.e.Melbourne.

An influx unlikely. But certainly an increase. Some 10,000 Greeks/Australian Greeks were reported in today's 'Australian' newspaper to have arrived since the crisis there began five years ago. Certainly an increase on the usual couple of hundred a year, but hardly an influx. A number of those were born in Australia but moved away some time ago.

Greeks no longer need to go so far to Australia being EU members. Ever increasing number of young educated Greeks are heading for Germany and UK. Others USA and Canada.

One benefit to the crisis is that Greek aged care homes in especially Melbourne now have numbers of Greek speaking folk coming in taking up those lowly paid positions.

Remembering that according to 2011 Australian census the Greek population is in rapid decline. Down 9.1% over the five years with an average age of 67 years. (it was 63 five years earlier)

Its a desalination plant.

It turns sea water into drinking water.

It is not waste water.

De sal - normally by means of RO, is an incredibly expensive means of producing water - not a viable option as a main supply.

Several areas of Australia are currently installing recycling water plants for waste / sewerage water - including in Victoria.

The Greeks I have come across here are certainly not lazy people- they have been very successful . Could probably teach the ones back home a few lessons .

That tens to be the case with most that immigrate. You may or may not be wise to the scandal of Greeks returning en mass (many a case of homesickness)during the seventies and early eighties on often forged claims that enabled disability pensions and the like.

We had a drought that lasted around 12 years in Melb - really bad and we had to watch every drop of water. Many of us put tanks in in the hope of rain and we were not allowed to water our gardens or top up pools etc at all.That's when they started the desal plant. At the time it was a good solution and probably will be in the future- I did feel a bit sorry for the Bracks government for all the flak coming their way. The big mistake they made was the North South pipeline- taking water from a very dry area north of the Divide to Melbourne. Never would work, never did. They were told and told but never listened which seems to be par for the course with the Labor crowd.