Work references are being difficult

Guest Guest109139

Guest Guest109139

I have recently left Perth where we lived for six years and I was with the same employer for all that time.

I have been offered a job back in the UK, starting in the beginning of August. The agency who is processing my job application have asked my previous manager and another senior person there to do my references twice now since the beginning of June, me included, I have also kindly asked them for the second time to do the references for me. They still haven't responded and I am now unsure as to what else I can do as I'm no longer in Australia and I'm getting worried that they might withdraw the job offer because of this.

The agency is putting all the pressure on me to get the references arranged, but there is little I can do and I'm really peed off that those in Oz cannot be bothered to do it.

I should add that I left on good terms, never had any issues, so Im a little confused as to what their problem is, surely it shouldn't take a whole month to give me reference.

Did anybody had similar issues from their employers in Oz?

A lot of Australian companies will not do written references. That's been the case for many years. It's not that they can't be bothered, it's fear of legal action (e.g. if they recommend someone and the hiring company subsequently has trouble).

Over the years I've worked for several companies where I was told I wasn't allowed to provide written references for my staff. I used to ignore that and quietly give them one anyway, a lot of managers won't risk it though.

All I can suggest is write to the Human Resources department and ask for a Certificate of Service,which proves you worked there. Then approach your manager direct - I know it costs to ring, but you need to talk to him/her. Explain how important a written reference is in the UK and how it's affecting your chances of employment, and see if they'll weaken!

Guest Guest109139
A lot of Australian companies will not do written references. That's been the case for many years. It's not that they can't be bothered, it's fear of legal action (e.g. if they recommend someone and the hiring company subsequently has trouble).

Over the years I've worked for several companies where I was told I wasn't allowed to provide written references for my staff. I used to ignore that and quietly give them one anyway, a lot of managers won't risk it though.

All I can suggest is write to the Human Resources department and ask for a Certificate of Service,which proves you worked there. Then approach your manager direct - I know it costs to ring, but you need to talk to him/her. Explain how important a written reference is in the UK and how it's affecting your chances of employment, and see if they'll weaken!

Well, I must admit I have never heard that they wouldn't provide a written reference. When I left, they reassured me that they will provide one for me, one of them is a pom so they should know how things work in the UK and the importance of a written reference!

I have already asked them twice by email and for them not responding at all, doesn't put them in a good light. At least they could let me or the agency know that they don't give written reference, but will arrange time for a telephone discussion or something along those lines

I got my employer to write a standard one before I left, just confirming dates and job title that is. They were very helpful with it. I have never worked anywhere in the UK when anything more than a confirmation of service is required.

Are you in touch with anyone still, or connected on linked in perhaps? Approaching a line manager directly might yield better result than going through HR.

Well, I must admit I have never heard that they wouldn't provide a written reference. When I left, they reassured me that they will provide one for me, one of them is a pom so they should know how things work in the UK and the importance of a written reference!

I have already asked them twice by email and for them not responding at all, doesn't put them in a good light. At least they could let me or the agency know that they don't give written reference, but will arrange time for a telephone discussion or something along those lines

Written references haven't been used in Aust for many, many years. The agency you are going through should phone your Perth employer. I doubt you will have success any other way.

They probably think it is strange this hasn't already occurred and are waiting to be contacted by phone.

I have recently left Perth where we lived for six years and I was with the same employer for all that time.

I have been offered a job back in the UK, starting in the beginning of August. The agency who is processing my job application have asked my previous manager and another senior person there to do my references twice now since the beginning of June, me included, I have also kindly asked them for the second time to do the references for me. They still haven't responded and I am now unsure as to what else I can do as I'm no longer in Australia and I'm getting worried that they might withdraw the job offer because of this.

The agency is putting all the pressure on me to get the references arranged, but there is little I can do and I'm really peed off that those in Oz cannot be bothered to do it.

I should add that I left on good terms, never had any issues, so Im a little confused as to what their problem is, surely it shouldn't take a whole month to give me reference.

Did anybody had similar issues from their employers in Oz?

You post has just triggered another thought, my wife has recently found out that the job she started last year never got a reference from oz, she started tho and we just put it down to incompetence on the part of the employer but i now wonder if they just gave up trying to get one and relied on her other documentation.

Must say that i have had problems with getting a reference from managers in oz, they seem to be scared of committing themselves on paper, they may only respond to a phone call , my wife when she employed people always ended up ringing.

As both Freckleface and I have both pointed out, all the large companies have a strict policy that their managers are not allowed to provide written references.

Written references haven't been used in Aust for many, many years. The agency you are going through should phone your Perth employer. I doubt you will have success any other way.

They probably think it is strange this hasn't already occurred and are waiting to be contacted by phone.

Crikey, that's just not correct. As a Senior Clinician, and a Senior Manager as well, who is legally allowed to use a scalpel in an operating theatre in Australia I can tell you that we absolutely always require written references. Shame on you.

As both Freckleface and I have both pointed out, all the large companies have a strict policy that their managers are not allowed to provide written references.

Freckleface didn't restrict her comments to "large companies," much less define what is a "large company," she just said in Australia.

Guest Guest109139

So after a few very polite emails, both my manager and a senior member of staff have provided a written reference.

I know the the questions for the reference were quite specific, not sure if those could have been discussed in just a phone call.

I don't know whether they are allowed to provide written reference or not, but I worked in the health service and not a company as such, so there might be a different policy.

My firm in the UK won't provide written references either-standard practice. What I did was ask management if my boss could provide reference in her personal capacity, so not representing the firm's views. This may be worth a try if you had a good relationship with one individual.

Archived