Favourite Place to Get a Coffee in Australia

HelensvaleHoward

A good coffee delivers a harmonious balance of aroma, acidity and body and tastes and smells devine. I think a good barista is the same as a good wine maker. Both ensure the elements of the coffee/wine are balanced and that no element predominates at the expense of the others.

Marketing has nothing to do with it for me. You could market tea with the best campaign the world has ever seen and I still wouldn't enjoy it.

As long as the barista is a hipster and attitude to match with the oblatory facial hair in place all good. Although not entirely convinced a TAFE course to be a barista is quite the same as a four year degree in Viticulture and Oenologist studies but that's just me.

No doubt being a barista though is far cooler and adds to the nations GDP.

As long as the barista is a hipster and attitude to match with the oblatory facial hair in place all good. Although not entirely convinced a TAFE course to be a barista is quite the same as a four year degree in Viticulture and Oenologist studies but that's just me.

I prefer to judge the skill of a barista by my enjoyment of the end product.

What's your job? You performing a vital service? An ambassador for Perth?

I quite like Dome coffee places in Perth. I think they use the same brand/mix of beans so you get the same tasting coffee in any of their shops. I've heard some people say they don't like it so it's not everyone's taste.

When we are away with work we go to the Coffee Club a lot for breakfast and lunch, mostly because they take AMEX, which our company insists we use for some strange reason. Their foods pretty good and their coffee's OK too.

We rarely get to Fonzie Abbott and is a treat when we do go. I always dreamt about sitting out on Saturday or Sunday morning reading the papers and watching the world go by for and hour or two. I get to do this at our local Cafe 63 again on Racecourse Road so is where most of my cafe bought coffee is consumed. A good 7/10. We otherwise have a coffee machine at home which is used each morning. If in a rush then instant will do.

Certainly not a snob, just enjoy a nice and relaxing coffee. Tea is the devils work and never passes my lips after being forced as a kid to drink over sweetened tea by my gran who I loved dearly.

S

I have bought coffee at Fonzie but it is really expensive for what you get

What's your job? You performing a vital service? An ambassador for Perth?

I'm afraid nothing any where as close to bringing the joy and vital service combined as your local barista sadly. Not even reached ambassadorial level for Perth. Although am in promotions just without the lucre. I can't be bought or corrupted that way.

Sounds like you have the monday blues. Don't worry the weekend and $12 pints aren't far away

Hardly the blues. My third favourite barista was on duty this morning and the lack of marsh mellows, while I admit didn't necessary make my morning, did not set me of on a spiral of depression. Reading The Australian didn't help state of mind but one becomes immune to the lies and right wing slant . The mellow West Australian proved as usual unchallenging and the wet weather kept any usual punters out so no political discussions to get hot under the collar about.

No blues at all and even sussed out a bargain give away pint at $11 within walking distance. Just gets better. Hope barista number one is back on duty tomorrow. He doesn't need telling. A true artist indeed.

Used to be Wild Poppy on Wray St but it's changed ownership since we left so to be on the safe side I'll say Repeat Offender in Subiaco.

I also loved South Beach cafe and the Carriage(??) on the reserve in Fremantle - not so much for the quality of the coffee (both good though) but for the chill out location.

Flag sounds like you need to move East. The Barista's don't take days off and the beer can easily be had $8 a pint and under

There are some plonkers on here sometimes.

Back to the OP's question.

before we came to Australia in 2007 we holidayed twice a year in the South of France driving each way and we used to break the return journey ai a small village just north of Dijon. The inn was just a 2 star but I used to enjoy the coffee served with our petitdejeuner each morning. Thick and black with a dash of milk but it certainly set you up for the remainder of the drive home.

Mike

After being back home the last few weeks it is good to appreciate the Australian coffee. $3.50 from my local cafe for something far superior for the 2.50 pound equivalent in the UK chains which are everywhere. Hope this doesn't cause any offence to any of the thin skinned :wink:

Is that a thin-skinned Latte?

7/11 $1 does it for me, as does any chateaux de cardboard box under $10 for 5 litres, Coles regular mince in me chilli and spag bog, Woolies barbeque snags and a $1 loaf, all toiletries bottom of the line Aldi..........illustrates fully who/what I am :-)

Agree with you Kev. I remember being shell shocked when I first arrived in OZ with the price of coffee. Was never into Starbucks in Canada, Canadians love their Tim Hortons coffee which is just regular drip coffee. I pay $2 for an extra large here. I remember paying $7 for a coffee in Perth, mind you it was a cap. In Oz, I used to get my coffee from McDonalds.

I guess I am not a huge lover of fancy coffees, just a plain and simple girl!

Cheers

Karen

Had a lovely cuppa at a new cafe in Wellington Point the other day - Delamauta Handcrafted Coffee and Tea. One of the best I've had in Brisbane.

I do love a Zarraffa's double shot mocha too!! Just what I need at 7am on a Saturday :-)

Archived