Stopover??

Guest51810

We're flying with Air Asia from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney, but had paid about an extra £100 for the flat bad in business class!

We've flown internally in Thailand and Malaysia loads of times with Air Asia and they are great - just the same as Easyjet really but more comfortable seats and better staff. If it means saving a lot of money I would definitely book with them

Oh really?! It's air Asia that's the flight between Bangkok and sydney. I was expecting them to be like a ryanair but maybe worse lol. It's a good price

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can be very dangerous, as is Bali.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html

I think the thing is tourist go to these countries and then partake in unsafe activities.

I find some agreement oddly with the Daily Mail, but most tourists will not encounter I hazard to add the dark side to The Land of Smiles. There are certainly rules to be learnt with regards behaviour for foreigners but shouldn't in any way put of Stacey. Many, many millions visit there each year and experience a complete care free holiday. It remains one of the fastest growing tourist countries and can be a lot of fun.

Oh I know about the other side of it, I watched a program once. Then there's all the sex stuff, not like they hide it. The hostel I'm looking at is quiet but still near the busy bit, I think Id prefer that. It's a shame I won't have time to go to some of those nice islands. Can always go on the way back home

Thanks guys. I just spoke to someone from on here who's not long been in thailand and he said you can spend £20 a day but he spends £35. His £35 gets him loads of beer, loads of food and a Thai massage. So i could definitely do it cheaper because I don't drink much. I've never tried Thai food before so that should be interesting. I definitely want a Thai massage, I almost got one instead of my hot stone massage.

I've just remembered that my second cousin is living in thailand at the moment, been there since last year I think. So I'll message him and ask a few things. I would absolutely love to stay a full month in Thailand but it probably would eat into my Australia budget too much. Just incase I don't find work easily

I don't see how it would eat into your budget when it is so many times cheaper than Australia. You can do it way, way les than GBP 35 a day and even less out of Bangkok. It wasn't all that long ago you could get by on $10 or so a day. All too easy do it.

Oh I know about the other side of it, I watched a program once. Then there's all the sex stuff, not like they hide it. The hostel I'm looking at is quiet but still near the busy bit, I think Id prefer that. It's a shame I won't have time to go to some of those nice islands. Can always go on the way back home

What on earth is the hurry? Most the sex stuff as you put it is not in Khaosan Road area, but a special area of Bangkok and expecialy cities like Phuket and Pattaya. Not sure I'd wait until the end as may be skint after Australia. If not can still return as plenty to see in that part of the world. Just be prepared to be hooked as many seem to be.

Just worried about spending money for australia, as we all know it's not very cheap lol. Just incase I can't find work quickly.

Btw im not a prude, Id probably go and have a walk down that street just for a nosey lol. Just wouldn't want to go every night haha. Well maybe I could even calculate and see how much 10 or 11 days would cost and spend 2 or 3 days in Bangkok and the rest in a beach type place. I need to go get a thailand for dummies book.

Those girls Im meeting when I get to Australia are doing one of these intro packages that are £400-£500. I'm skipping that, they sound good but too expensive.

No they're pretty good! As I say we've flown with them loads of times. You won't get free food and drink like you do on the airlines from the UK going out to Asia but you'll get a leather seat (they've always been leather when I have been on them) and the food and drinks they bring around on the trolley are dirt cheap. You won't get a TV either but I'm sure you've got an ipad or something you could use if you really wanted to. Have you looked at the business class option and having the flat bed? Cost us about £300 each from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney in business class.

No they're pretty good! As I say we've flown with them loads of times. You won't get free food and drink like you do on the airlines from the UK going out to Asia but you'll get a leather seat (they've always been leather when I have been on them) and the food and drinks they bring around on the trolley are dirt cheap. You won't get a TV either but I'm sure you've got an ipad or something you could use if you really wanted to. Have you looked at the business class option and having the flat bed? Cost us about £300 each from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney in business class.

Nah I wouldn't bother with business class, better get used to the backpacker way lol I'll have to live on goon and noodles soon enough haha. They sound quite good though, I would just read a book or something. Got my kindle fire

Hi

We spent five nights in Bangkok on one of our early oz visits, wanting to have a good break and a bit of variety. It was interesting and VERY cheap. Some of the things we did ... boat trip down the river to see a temple, stopped off en route to visit a little island for ???pottery making (sorry it was a while ago) there was a big quay where you got the tickets to cross the river and all sorts of trips advertised there. This was about ten years ago but at that time it was very cheap - worked out at about ten pounds for the day and lunch cost two pounds or something (plate of curry and a drink). We really liked it despite the sleaze, but found the heat a bit much. We found the sky train good because it was air conned. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. Can also recommend the resort of Hua Hin (if you ever want a seaside holiday in Thailand). Much closer to Bangkok (about three hours by car) and much quieter / less sleazy than Phuket area.

If you are nervous about Bangkok @scottishstacey , look at Hong Kong or Singapore.

Scoot Airlines fly from Singapore into several Australian cities.

But out beware you need to pay for luggage more often than not with the likes of Scoot, Air Asia, Jetstar so it might be easier to break the journey with a full service airline like Etihad if at all possible.

Remember the the types of saving that you are talking about are really going to be immaterial compared to the amount you spend On your travels and when you are earning so I personally wouldn't be too concerned about a £100-200 difference in fare.

It's not that I'm bothered about the flight savings, I was happy to pay the full etihad flight. I just wondered if it would be worthwhile stopping for a few days. I've never been on a stopover. Or maybe it would just cause more stress and Id be better just going straight there

If you are nervous about Bangkok @scottishstacey , look at Hong Kong or Singapore.

Scoot Airlines fly from Singapore into several Australian cities.

But out beware you need to pay for luggage more often than not with the likes of Scoot, Air Asia, Jetstar so it might be easier to break the journey with a full service airline like Etihad if at all possible.

Remember the the types of saving that you are talking about are really going to be immaterial compared to the amount you spend On your travels and when you are earning so I personally wouldn't be too concerned about a £100-200 difference in fare.

Hong Kong is hardly a cheap option and Singapore not much less. Thailand is back packers territory. Cheapish and easy.

Hong Kong is hardly a cheap option and Singapore not much less. Thailand is back packers territory. Cheapish and easy.

Well that's what the guy from sta travel said - he said if I wanted a flight via Hong Kong it would cost over £700. Said the only stop over with my other flight would be Abu Dhabi and I didn't really fancy that

It's not that I'm bothered about the flight savings, I was happy to pay the full etihad flight. I just wondered if it would be worthwhile stopping for a few days. I've never been on a stopover. Or maybe it would just cause more stress and Id be better just going straight there

No stress at all. It fact great way to distress after a long flight. Besides what most do it like that anyway.

We have stopped over every visit for the last ten years and have tried Hong Kong, Singapore and Bangkok. We prefer Singapore because the onward flight is shorter, but Bankok was far and away the cheapest and the most interesting. The river activity is amazing. I didn't feel unsafe in Bangkok at all but then like everywhere you have to keep your wits about you. I love my stopovers ... a mini holiday before and after the holiday ... and they really do help with jetlag. Of course I'm a bit ancient so probably feel it more than you. Go for it!

Well that's what the guy from sta travel said - he said if I wanted a flight via Hong Kong it would cost over £700. Said the only stop over with my other flight would be Abu Dhabi and I didn't really fancy that

I am certainly not keen on UAE stopovers. Hong Kong is an expensive city not just the flight. Thailand/ Malaysia/ even South Africa better options.

Please don't use a travel agent to help you because they are ALWAYS going to be a hell of a lot more expensive than what you could book it for yourself through the airlines website. If you're flying with Etihad you can mess about on the online system adding in stopovers in different places to see which destinations/dates etc are the cheapest.

Abu Dhabi is somewhere I have visited twice and it's gorgeous - very similar to Dubai but smaller and if I was you I'd have a few days there anda few days in Thailand. I'm presuming you've flown long haul before so you know what you're letting yourself in for, but flying from the UK to Australia with no stopovers would be my idea of hell, not only is it a long time and a long way so you'll be exhausted by the time you arrive, but the stoppovers would help with climatising and with jet lag so you'd feel fresh and raring to go by the time you land in Sydney. Also, you're cramming in 1 or 2 other countries to tick off your list rather than just wasting the whole time sitting on a plane and missing out. :-)

And yes, definitely head down to Phuket. Thailand is really beautiful. We spent 2 months there during our gap year in 2007 and we returned for 3 weeks last February and was really sad to see how touristy it's gone compared to our first visit, so if you have the opportunity to see some of Thailand now then do it becasue no doubt in another 12 months the main tourist places will be even more ruined

skyscanner won't give you prices for flights including stop-overs (or at least it didn't when I was looking in January).

Once you've identified the route, do a search on the airline's own website with the stop-over feature selected, or phone them up and ask them.

Nope I haven't been on a long haul lol. Unless florida counts :laugh:

I know skyscanner doesn't allow you to do that. I was do it it myself on there by searching the full month and then picking the cheapest ones since I'm flexible. Then book accommodation myself too.

I think Id prefer Thailand over Abu Dhabi but who knows! Ki definitely want to go to thailand, I just always planned on going the way home instead

Just get a flight to Bangkok (or KL/Singapore/wherever) from Scotland and then a budget airline from Asia.

Do consider flying from London too - you can get there for easily under £50 and could save you a lot more. Totally recommend Sri Lankan airlines from Heathrow to KL and then Air Asia from there.