Approximate time to get a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number in Sydney

newuser

I have been granted permanent residency and have to enter before Aug 1 which is around 6 weeks from today. But, I have no employment.

Initially, I planned to come to Sydney for a week by taking leave from my current job, apply for a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number. Also, in the week, I wanted to explore the job market. I don't want to leave my current job in my home country without getting something equivalent in Australia, though I understand it is difficult to secure a position from overseas as employers prefer a local candidate.

I was told Sydney may have more positions for IT engineers so planned to come there. I don't know anyone in Australia.

I glanced at the useful threads http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/230105-registering-medicare-sydney.html and http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/233424-how-much-spend-rent-sydney-single.html

and realize getting a Medicare card takes 6 weeks and rents are more than I expected.

1. Where on Sydney can one stay for a week at the budget of 300AUD/week without sharing? I heard it cannot be a place where backpackers stay or a low budget hotel as I need a proper address to which my medicare, tax card will

be sent. I am OK staying away from the main city to reduce costs as long as I can take the train and get to the city.

2. Can shared rental places or the ones on Airbnb be used as address for medicare, tax card?

3. What is the approximate time to get a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number in Sydney?

4. Can I do anything to expedite the process of getting a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number? I realize it depends on the workload of the agencies, how many people applied ahead of me and few other factors which an applicant like me cannot control.

5. Would coming to any other city like Melbourne or Perth mean quicker processing of these documents?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

As always, thanks to all the posters who generously advise people like me on different aspects of the migration.

If you are coming to Australia for just a week, it is unnecessary and indeed foolish to organise TFN, Medicare and drivers licence. These are things that should be done when you move permanently and not before.

As to accommodation for $300 a week that is not sharing and not a hostel, well you are dreaming.

Regarding Medicare and TFN, it doesn't take long at all. You can't apply for a TFN outside of Australia but I'm not sure about Medicare.

Medicare - I visited my local Department of Human Services office, filled in a form and received my Medicare number in about 10 mins. The Medicare card then arrived in the post after a week - see http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/dhs/medicare

TFN - applied online and the number arrived in the post, again, after about a week - see https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/

Drivers licence - as I'm on a temporary visa, I can keep my UK licence until I become a PR - see http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/

Thank you for responding.

If you are coming to Australia for just a week, it is unnecessary and indeed foolish to organise TFN, Medicare and drivers licence. These are things that should be done when you move permanently and not before.

I heard when you first land, you can use your foreign passport as primary ID for opening bank accounts, renting a place since you are a new immigrant. After that, you can be asked to produce medicare card, tax filing number. So, I thought of gathering the documents and when I come back after 6-9 months, use them for for opening bank accounts, renting a place etc.

1. I am new to this forum, Australian immigration and rules, but does that mean, I can arrive before Aug 1, fulfill my visa condition of entering before Aug 1, get some coffee outside the airport and return home on the next flight. Later on, after 6-9 months, can I use my home country's passport for opening bank accounts and renting an apartment?

If so, there is no need for me to stay for a week. I wanted to stay mainly to get the medicare card, tax filing number, driver's license thinking it would be harder after 6-9 months since then I would not be a fresh immigrant who just landed.

Thanks vickyplum,

Regarding Medicare and TFN, it doesn't take long at all. You can't apply for a TFN outside of Australia but I'm not sure about Medicare.

Medicare - I visited my local Department of Human Services office, filled in a form and received my Medicare number in about 10 mins. The Medicare card then arrived in the post after a week - see http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/dhs/medicare

TFN - applied online and the number arrived in the post, again, after about a week - see https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/

Drivers licence - as I'm on a temporary visa, I can keep my UK licence until I become a PR - see http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/

This is helpful for me and other people who will view this thread later.

Thanks Captain Roberto,

There are groups on facebook where people rent rooms on their homes. so it is sharing, but probably with some personal space.

so maybe have a poke around on FB?

Edited by CaptainC
Removed link

Thank you for responding.

I heard when you first land, you can use your foreign passport as primary ID for opening bank accounts, renting a place since you are a new immigrant. After that, you can be asked to produce medicare card, tax filing number. So, I thought of gathering the documents and when I come back after 6-9 months, use them for for opening bank accounts, renting a place etc.

1. I am new to this forum, Australian immigration and rules, but does that mean, I can arrive before Aug 1, fulfill my visa condition of entering before Aug 1, get some coffee outside the airport and return home on the next flight. Later on, after 6-9 months, can I use my home country's passport for opening bank accounts and renting an apartment?

If so, there is no need for me to stay for a week. I wanted to stay mainly to get the medicare card, tax filing number, driver's license thinking it would be harder after 6-9 months since then I would not be a fresh immigrant who just landed.

If you get a TFN it can cause confusion with tax authorities, they may pester you for a tax return and query your tax status. Not worth the hassle.

If you register for Medicare it starts the twelve month clock ticking for taking out private health cover or facing lifetime age loading (higher premiums) for when and if you take it out in the future.

As for driving license, well you are just not supposed to do this unless resident, this is a legal document and you should not be pretending you live somewhere where you do not. This is an offence.

So do not do it, not any of them on a visit over. You can open bank accounts online and do not need driving licences, Medicare cards or TFNs to complete the process. I know I sorted out my rental before I had my driving licence or Medicare card too.

I have been granted permanent residency and have to enter before Aug 1 which is around 6 weeks from today. But, I have no employment.

Initially, I planned to come to Sydney for a week by taking leave from my current job, apply for a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number. Also, in the week, I wanted to explore the job market. I don't want to leave my current job in my home country without getting something equivalent in Australia, though I understand it is difficult to secure a position from overseas as employers prefer a local candidate.

I was told Sydney may have more positions for IT engineers so planned to come there. I don't know anyone in Australia.

I glanced at the useful threads http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/230105-registering-medicare-sydney.html and http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/233424-how-much-spend-rent-sydney-single.html

and realize getting a Medicare card takes 6 weeks and rents are more than I expected.

1. Where on Sydney can one stay for a week at the budget of 300AUD/week without sharing? I heard it cannot be a place where backpackers stay or a low budget hotel as I need a proper address to which my medicare, tax card will

be sent. I am OK staying away from the main city to reduce costs as long as I can take the train and get to the city.

2. Can shared rental places or the ones on Airbnb be used as address for medicare, tax card?

3. What is the approximate time to get a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number in Sydney?

4. Can I do anything to expedite the process of getting a driver's license, medicare card and Tax file number? I realize it depends on the workload of the agencies, how many people applied ahead of me and few other factors which an applicant like me cannot control.

5. Would coming to any other city like Melbourne or Perth mean quicker processing of these documents?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

As always, thanks to all the posters who generously advise people like me on different aspects of the migration.

You can open a bank account now, online. I did with Westpac and its fully operational. Dont even need to visit bank when you get to Australia.

I opened my bank account online ahead of my visa activation trip, picked up the cards whilst I was there and now have a fully functioning AUS account for when I come back, and to deposit savings into.

Other stuff.. As others have said can wait, should wait.

As for flying there, having a coffee, flying back. In theory you could yes. I wouldn't recommend it. It's a bloody long flight. Stay a couple of days at least. :-)

If you get a TFN it can cause confusion with tax authorities, they may pester you for a tax return and query your tax status. Not worth the hassle.

If you register for Medicare it starts the twelve month clock ticking for taking out private health cover or facing lifetime age loading (higher premiums) for when and if you take it out in the future.

As for driving license, well you are just not supposed to do this unless resident, this is a legal document and you should not be pretending you live somewhere where you do not. This is an offence.

So do not do it, not any of them on a visit over. You can open bank accounts online and do not need driving licences, Medicare cards or TFNs to complete the process. I know I sorted out my rental before I had my driving licence or Medicare card too.

Thanks for your advice and time.

1. Does that mean getting the medicare card, tax filing number, driver's license would not be difficult after 6-9 months when I would not be a fresh immigrant who just landed?

2. How can rentals be handled as I hear they also need the 100 point check?

I opened my bank account online ahead of my visa activation trip, picked up the cards whilst I was there and now have a fully functioning AUS account for when I come back, and to deposit savings into.

Other stuff.. As others have said can wait, should wait.

As for flying there, having a coffee, flying back. In theory you could yes. I wouldn't recommend it. It's a bloody long flight. Stay a couple of days at least. :-)

Thanks for responding. I will do that. I will try to find some low budget hotels to stay.

Thanks for your advice and time.

1. Does that mean getting the medicare card, tax filing number, driver's license would not be difficult after 6-9 months when I would not be a fresh immigrant who just landed?

2. How can rentals be handled as I hear they also need the 100 point check?

It will be fine. You know many people don't have this trip pre-move and all manage perfectly well.

It will be fine. You know many people don't have this trip pre-move and all manage perfectly well.

Thanks, I heard new immigrants live in tents(for 4-5 weeks) because it is hard for them to rent an apartment as an new immigrant. Since they don't have a proper address, it makes it harder to get medicare card, tax filing number, driver's license.

I appreciate all your advice and time.